Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

1. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    I saw it for the first time this week too, and I certainly agree.
  2. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    Are you talking about Georgie? I haven't seen it yet but it's in the book, if it's what I think you're talking about(and can be pretty much explained as altitude sickness--Zachry is basically hallucinating seeing their "devil", or Georgie, as they call him).
  3. Life Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    The Expendables. Decent popcorn flick. 3 out of 5.
  4. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Did you watch the theatrical cut or the extended/director's cut? (easiest way to tell is by the song that played over the credits- if you got "The Boys Are Back In Town", it's the theatrical, if you got "Diamond Eyes (Boom-Lay)", you got the extended).

Though it's not a massive improvement, the extended version nevertheless is an improvement over the theatrical, adding in a few more character moments and re-editing the action scenes.

I think it made enough sense- they establish enough for you fill in the blanks of events between the pieces as well as their connections.

Show Spoiler
    What I took away was that the actions/martyr of Sumni-451 spark a rebellion against Unianmity over the use of the Fabricants. That results in a nuclear war that leaves the Earth irradiated and seemingly abandoned.

The survivors end up devolving to what we see on the island until they manage to contact an offworld colony to let them know they're still alive. Eventually a large fleet arrives and takes the survivors to one of those colonies, leading to the narrator bookends.

The other stories show how the various "drops" (of breaking underclass people free of those wishing to take advantage of them- the slaves from slavery, the aspiring composer from the aging composer, the reporter/blue collar from the machinations of Big Oil, the old people from the retirement home staff, the Fabricants from Uniamity, etc) eventually add up to the "ocean" that the events of Sumni's time initiates.

The only flaw to the order of events, to my eye, was if these are intended to literally be the same souls reincarnated throughout the ages, I don't think one Tom Hanks could be in 1973 while another adult Tom Hanks could be in 2012, as he'd have had to have been born prior to 1973 to be around that age in 2012.

In the film, he first manifests long before the mountain. I get that his role was meant to be the devil on one's shoulder, but it's never really addressed/resolved in the film.

Crank 2 is an insane movie, but you really need to watch it (and the original before hand- the original is not as brilliant as the sequel, but it helps understand the story and ever increasing insanity). It's the greatest, most bat****-insane action movie ever made. Everytime you don't think they can get crazier, they do something crazier. Crank 2 is one of my favorite movies of all time.
    Last edited by The2ndQuest, Oct 28, 2012
  5. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    My respect for Jason Statham increased tenfold upon watching the Crank movies. Those directors are crazy awesome.
  6. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    At least for the Crank movies, they are. Gamer was a muddled mess. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance was dichotic, though it did have some promising elements (though they were completely out of sync with the crazy Crank/Nick Cage content).
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    I have no concept of why, but my guilty pleasure horror-comedy has always been The Fearless Vampire Killers. Parts are hilarious and other parts are absurd & outdated. I watched it for the umpteenth time last night after securing my compound in preparation of stormageddon. This film drives me crazy because, everytime I watch it, I enjoy it tremendously while simultaneously spending the entirety of the film considering what a foul human being Roman Polanski turned out to be.
  8. Darth Morella Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm one of those who loved the Crank movies as well.
  9. THE EVIL CLIFFIE Force Ghost

star 2
    Skyfall. AWESOME movie - brilliantly shot (even for someone who pays no attention to cinematography), wondefully acted, full of dry british wit, amazing soundtrack (including the main theme by Adele, which really grew on me), and with one of the best movie villains since Heath Ledger's Joker.
  10. Life Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    It was the theatrical version. I watched it on Netflix. Evidently they don't have the extended cut.
  11. Life Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Error. Double post.
    Last edited by Life, Oct 29, 2012
  12. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Thanks Quest, I'll give those a try. Bat**** crazy is ok every once in awhile. :p
    Last edited by Darth_Invidious, Oct 29, 2012
  13. darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost

star 5
    Tomorrow Never Dies.

A very average Bond effort. GoldenEye was much better.
  14. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    You're giving TND way too much credit.
  15. darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm getting out of the Moore years, with Dalton being a stopgap. TND certainly wasn't good, but it wasn't Moonraker, Octopussy, A View to a Kill, Thunderball, Diamonds are Forever level bad.
    soitscometothis likes this.
  16. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Maybe. It's a shame about Pierce Brosnan. You could almost say that from the moment we first saw him a few centuries ago in his Remington Steel days, here's a guy that was born to play Bond. Yet - IMO - he was featured in some of the most ridiculous - if not poorly made - eyeball rolling,groan inducing 007 movies ever made (and GoldenEye isn't that squeaky clean either). I really can't recall any single Brosnan Bond movie that I truly, sincerely liked. Hell, I started missing Timothy Dalton after Tomorrow Never Dies, and that's saying something.
  17. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Brosnan's best Bonds were Goldeneye and The World is Not Enough. Tomorrow Never Dies is OK, it's certainly better then a lot of previous Bond films. Die Another Day was easily Brosnan's weakest movie, it went way too far and got silly. TND's main issue is the villain, as much as I like Pryce as an actor his media mogul character wasn't great.

But I would agree even Brosnan's worst stuff was better than pretty much everything Moore did.
  18. Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost

star 4
    The World is not Enough is utter garbage.
    Darth McClain likes this.
  19. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    Last night we watched, at my wife's nostalgic urging, Stephen King's IT. Suffice to say it hasn't aged well. We've both read the novel and were both fans of the TV movie when it first appeared in 1990. But despite a rousing first half featuring an excellent cast of kids, the pay-off with the semi-famous adult cast leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe it's that the events are inherently scarier when it's children involved, because belief in Pennywise is required to be affected by it. Maybe it's the goofy-looking spider that makes risible what should have been a stirring climax. Whatever the explanation, I think the film is ripe for a remake.
  20. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I've only seen a limited number of Bonds prior to Brosnan* (and GoldenEye was the first I saw) but I've realized I have a minority opinion when it comes to those movies (except for The World is Not Enough, which I think most people agree was a bland misfire). I loved DAD the most of the Brosnans (except for Jinx), followed by TND & GE (with TWINE last)-and though my opinion of GE has gone up over the years, it's impossible for me to know if that's just a result of my opinion of the film actually improving or simple nostalgia for the N64 game (since the two are inexorably linked).

*Goldfinger is the only earlier one I've seen in it's entirety, i think (easy enough, since I have the DVD)- though I've caught bits and pieces of various ones over the years during marathons on TV, etc).
    Last edited by The2ndQuest, Oct 29, 2012
  21. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    I did say "some": you wouldn't be able to afford making me sit through any of Moore's Bond movies. Even as a kid I knew I was watching some pretty wretched stuff there. [face_sick]
  22. Darthkat76 Force Ghost

star 4
  23. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Seven Psychopaths. Not what I was expecting, but I did like it.
  24. Life Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Equilibrium. In a post-WW3 dystopian future, it is decided that to eradicate wars forever, it is necessary to attack the root cause of that which wars are only a symptom of: feelings. In order to eliminate hate, envy, greed and all the other nasty emotions that lead to wars and aggression between men, all feelings must be erased from the human existence.

I'm torn between giving this a 3 or 4, so I'll give it 3.5 out of 5.
    Last edited by Life, Oct 29, 2012
  25. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    I've always thought Equilibrium was the movie that convinced someone at the W&B (if not Nolan himself) that they had a new Batman in the shape of Christian Bale. Funny Batvoice aside, I'm glad that person chose wisely. Yeah, Equilibrium has its flaws, but it is one entertaining kickass movie.
    Last edited by Darth_Invidious, Oct 29, 2012