main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre: In the Beginning (2006) I thought it was good but not enough chainsaw action for me. Ive heard that the older films are much better than the remakes, has anyone seen them?

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I last watched Criterion's just released FOLLOWING blu ray.

3. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
  4. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    is that any good?

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have been a fan of Nolan since I wasted tons of money watching Memento countless times in the theater. I say, with all sincerity, it is my second favorite film in his portfolio. Obviously this is solely my opinion, but I think it is second only to Memento. And, I do tend to love all of his films... even Insomnia. But, Following is far closer to Memento than anything else, but with a far more vicious plot. Best description I can muster is: This indie, b&w film is what got him a Hollywood gig, so imagine a guerilla filmmaking version of Memento, with a grittier plot. Personally, I adore it.

6. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    ok i'll check it out.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    If you like his style, it is worth owning... as a worst case scenario. Best case scenario, you will wonder why you never saw it sooner. Win/win.

8. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Lincoln (2012) -- Again! My wife could not live another day without seeing this film, so I went along for a second viewing. It was, if possible, better the second time. In the interim after my first viewing, I had done some research into the 13th Amendment and the War, and re-awakened knowledge I had not studied since high school. In short, I was better prepared. The script holds nothing back and expects its audience to be fully educated. This time, nothing (so far as I know) went over my head, and the brilliance of this movie is now cemented in my mind. My better comprehension of dialogue and events let me relax and enjoy the film purely as a film as well, and I will reiterate my extraordinary admiration for the cinematography, which is both luminous and richly dark, and for the costumes, sets and effects work which went into recreating the period totally convincingly. But what I did not appreciate the first time is Kahn's superb editing, that invisible and essential art that in the end makes or breaks the artistic success of a film. This movie is flawless.

Life and SiouxFan like this.
  9. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I just came back from an awe-inspiring giant 4K resolution screening of Ron Frickle's SAMSARA.

Having just watched the trailer now, it's interesting to notice how every one of those stunningly beautiful shots were already burnt into my memory.
    Go and see it on the big screen if you still can! It'll open up the vastness of existence to you even better when filling your whole sight of vision.

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

11. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Fast Times at Ridgemont Hight: Funny movie with some good "old-school" actors and actresses with a nice 80s feel to it. I miss these movies

The Savages (2007): I mistook this for the 2012 movie "Savages." I was bored.

12. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    also saw this in 4k. beautiful images. i don't know if it beats the qatsi films but it comes close, for sure.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    It's a Wonderful Life. For a schmaltzy feel-good director, Frank Capra sure went to some dark places.

14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The Three Musketeers, 2011 version with Milla Jovovich. I remember laughing at the trailer and thinking it would be a stupid, but good action flick. I guess I forgot about it.

I was right. Incredibly, hilariously stupid. I approve.

15. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Chronicle

I thought it was great, especially the way it approached the whole "found footage" genre (i.e. Blair Witch, Cloverfield, etc.). Highly recommended.

16. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Lincoln:

1) Considering the subject matter, it was disappointing that the script kept black characters largely relegated to the background.

2) It should have ended either with the scene with Stevens and his house keeper, or Lincoln leaving for the theater.

Other than that, it was excellent.

17. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    The Hobbit :D

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Fatal Attraction: This was fairly difficult to watch mainly because of Glenn Close's creepy performance. She definitely deserved the Oscar Nom. that year. Otherwise the film kinda turns into a generic slasher flick towards the end, and Michael Douglas's character comes off as a total scumbag which I don't really think was the intention.

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It's a Wonderful Life doesn't get nearly enough credit for how dark it is -- the fact that it's an ultimately-uplifting holiday movie seems to have overwhelmed the fact that all the way up until the uplifting end, it's nothing but crushed dreams and noir nightmare.

The Raid: Redemption. Pretty much a perfect B-movie martial arts flick. It's here to deliver, pure, constant asskicking, no frills. It sets up its premise -- lone cop trapped in a building full of heavily-armed, homicidal criminals -- and then stands back and lets him fight his way through to the end. The characters are never really more than stock, though there was one twist that adds some depth I wasn't expecting, but they're at least capably executed, with the multiple villains pleasantly deranged. The real star is the action choreography, and it's incredible, and well shot. A tremendous, nothing-but-adrenaline pleasure that I'll definitely be watching again.

Key Largo. Speaking of a hero trapped in a building with crooks, here we have Humphrey Bogart trapped in a hotel in the middle of a hurricane with a bunch of gangsters led by Edward G. Robinson and awaiting an underworld rendezvous. It's a very solid concept, and Bogart, Robinson, and Lionel Barrymore and Lauren Bacall as the proprietor and his daughter-in-law all give great performances. Claire Trevor's alcoholic moll gets some great scenes too, especially a long sequence in which Robinson forces her to sing an old song, which neither of them quite recall how darkly it mirrors their own relationship, and they both get more upset and everyone else gets more uncomfortable the longer it goes on. I also liked the way it plays the Bogart-Bacall relationship -- something builds between them, but it never becomes overtly romantic -- all we need is the idea that there are possibilities for the future. With so many noirs overplaying instant romance, it's nice to see a more restrained relationship.

Following. Christopher Nolan's debut. It's obviously a super-low-budget indie feature, but Nolan has a set of solid concepts that he blends pretty deftly in a non-chronological presentation that helps keep the noirish central conceit concealed until the end. It's a pretty impressive debut, given what it is, and you can definitely see the seeds sown for Memento, The Prestige, and Inception. Plus, the big Batman sticker on the main character's door is pretty funny in retrospect.

Life likes this.
  20. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Rear Window. A great thriller. Hitchcock knows how to slowly build the suspense, step by step, and leave s it with a ton of sly wit. Cranky Jimmy Stewart is always fun, and Grace Kelly is gorgeous and charming and gorgeous.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Burltastic! Newman and Taylor both give fantastic performances, but it's Burl Ives who gets to have the most fun as Big Daddy. The Hays Code undermines the third act (come on -- the man doesn't want to have sex with Elizabeth Taylor! OF COURSE he's gay!) but the performances and writing and emotional drama are too good for it to really matter. No one sulks as magnetically as Paul Newman.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Rocky: I had never seen this before for some reason even though I've seen the first two Rambo movies. Needless to say in some ways it's dated, but it's still a charming and well-acted film. Stallone definitely earned the acting nom that year at the Oscars. Are the sequels any good? I've been told to watch those as well with a lot of people saying that IV is the best.

22. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Lawless. Very good. Hardy is excellent, Guy Pearce is having a ball, Chastain is solid, both Jason Clarke and Oldman are underutilized, and Labouieoiuufggh is acceptable. Nick Cave's script manages to land somewhere between Western and gangster movie, focusing on three moonshining brothers and their rural Virginia code as they feud with a crooked cop. It doesn't really do anything new or say anything significant, but it's fun and Hardy gets to continue his quest to become the biggest badass in cinema, so it's worthwhile.

23. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Just got back from seeing Lincoln. I wished there had been more scenes with black folks and how they felt about this amendment but it was a fantastic film. Will see it again soon.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The Hobbit HFR 3D.

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Christmas Vacation.

What are you looking at?

The silent majesty of a winter's morn, the cool chill of the holiday air....and an ******* in a bathrobe emptying a chemical toilet into my sewer.

[face_laugh]

RC-1991 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.