main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Trying to watch all the movies i own

2. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Goldfinger

As always, I'll post my thoughts in the Bond thread (when I can find the darn thing - natch).

3. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    Rock of Ages. Again!

I know I am like one of 6 people on this planet that loves this movie but it just makes me so happy!

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Beasts of the Southern Wild. wtf? It has an almost-offensive misrepresentation of a "mandatory evacuation" in the event of a storm. 1. It's usually before, not after, the storm happens that they try to inform people. 2. Despite it being "mandatory," no one can force you to leave. They certainly won't break into your destroyed shack and kidnap you and imprison you in a shelter. I guess the act of terrorism on the levee may have made them do that, but that isn't at all clear and still, an extreme reaction like forced eviction of the entire community seems unlikely. And Aurochs were cattle, not pigs. Suppose that could be chalked up to a little girl's imagination, though.

I wish I had read the reviews that compared the style to Malick. At least it has a plot of sorts, meandering though it is. Unlike Tree of Life, I can actually understand people liking this, though I'm still baffled at the high esteem it has among critics. I'm not a fan of the "artsy" stuff.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  5. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Little Miss Sunshine. I haven't seen it in its entirety for a while, so it was a great rewatch.

6. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000

Me, too. I watched Goldfinger last night.

7. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    The Expendables 2. If the first one was an entertaining, nostalgic shoot’em up with more testosterone than is medically advisable then the sequel is stale parody that’s weighed down by its own self-referencing ridiculousness.

Life likes this.
  8. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    John Carter. It was a thrilling homage to the kinds of pulp sci-fi that influenced Flash Gordon and Star Wars, but I can kinda see why it didn't do so well, as it seemed to require you to have read the original Edgar Rice Burroughs books. Still, I liked it, and I didn't feel my time was wasted.

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

10. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Safety Not Guaranteed.

Pretty Awesome movie. One of the great feel good movies of the year.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Dredd

Bought the blu ray today. Possibly my favorite comic film of a year bloated with comic films. I grew up on 2000AD, and this film nailed the source material.

13. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Silver Linings Playbook.

14. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    I just saw wreck-it ralph a couple days ago, i rarely ever see movies in the theater, usually don't even go once a year. but i have to say it was a great movie.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Re-watched the Dark Knight Rises...the plot was considerably easier to put together on my second viewing than when I first watched it.

16. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

17. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    The Amazing Spider-Man. Miles better than Raimi's films. Garfield is a far better choice than Maguire as both Spider-Man and Peter Parker. He's able to convey both the geeky aspect of Parker with the wise-cracking of Spidey, something that Maguire didn't do anywhere near enough. Emma Stone is a vast improvement on Kirsten Dunst as well. She's capable, intelligent, far better looking and isn't mind-numbingly bad at line delivery. I'm definitely looking forward to the inevitable sequel and seeing where they go with the the Mama and Papa Parker storyline, as well as finding out who that shadowy dude at the end was.

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Fast and Furious on TV

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    (reposting from the Les Miz thread)

Saw Les Miserables today. Went in with decent expectations, given its reputation. Unfortunately, I really didn't care for it. There are very few films where I regret paying money to see, but this was one of them.It's definitely one of those films where your mind wanders to other thoughts and then snaps back to the film without missing much.

There's nothing particularly offensive about it or any key failing to overlook or focus upon, it's just the whole sing-everything approach is extremely exhausting to watch (especially given the runtime), obscures the drama (as well as a few character deaths) and makes the movie about a half hour longer than it would be otherwise.

I strongly believe a traditional musical approach probably would have been much more effective and emotionally invoking.

That said, Hathaway is excellent in it and the key songs are quite good. So, if you're particularly keen on seeing this, catch it on cable down the road but I'd recommend saving your money.

20. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Sound of My Voice

I think this movie has more unanswered questions than any other I've seen. I like it. There's so many possibilities.

21. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Cloud Atlas. Didn't know anything about the movie before watching it.

Not sure I know anything about the movie post viewing either. Maybe reading the book may have strung the 6 strands together more satisfyingly.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I experienced a similar moment of non-clarity post viewing as well.

jp-30 likes this.
  23. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Overall, I enjoyed it, although I do have a couple of minor quibbles. Well, OK, one is minor and the other is fairly major. The first is that I felt like it took a bit too long to get into the actual story from the prologue and the Frodo/Bilbo scene. The other thing that irked me a little was the high frame rate. I will admit that I've never seen a movie shot at 48 FPS before, so I simply may not be used to it, but there were parts of the movie that looked super fake because of the HFR, and it was very distracting and annoying. It also made parts of the movie, like the Dwarves attacking the Trolls sort of seem like it was on fast forward. I should have enjoyed 13 Dwarves kicking Troll ass alot more than I did, but the HFR kind of pulled me out of the moment.

Kiki-Gonn likes this.
  24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    The Hobbit is the first movie to be shot in 48 FPS

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Well, then hopefully the lesson that they take from this is that HFR=bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.