main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    yea, and the other 2 will be in 48 FPS

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Well, I know that I won't be watching them that way.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    yea, 3D sucks, thank my city doesn't have 3D anymore

4. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Ted

The first half had me laughing a lot. The second half was lame.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Cloud Atlas does require one's full attention to follow it, but while it will certainly lose some viewers, I didn't find it that difficult to follow- although how things tie together requires some interpolation.

6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yeah...Les Mis nailed me straight in my dad parts. Glad I followed some friends' advice and brought tissues.

Life and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    The Grey. Very good film. Simply shot. Beautifully shot. Always atmospheric. At times scary, contemplative, downcast and life affirming. Brilliant wolves - a combination of CGI, animatronics and the occasional real animal. Predictable (crash survivors fall victim to the pack one by one), I suppose, but I didn't feel that detracted from the tale. Great ending, too - simple, a great twist that cast everything in a new light and no closure.

I regret not seeing it in the cinema.

Life, Mar17swgirl and DarthBoba like this.
  8. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    The Fountain. One of my favourite films and it looked stunning on blu-ray. It's not for everyone, but I think it's Darren Aronofsky's best film, which is saying something. The soundtrack is a thing of pure beauty.

Star Trek First Contact. Along with The Undiscovered Country and The Wrath of Khan, the best Trek movie by far in my opinion. The cast is all on top form, but especially Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner. Stewart has real chemistry with Alfre Woodard as Lily and him struggling with his PTSD from his assimilation in TNG. James Cromwell is great as Zefram Cochrane also.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Bloody confusing. Had to keep checking the plot as I went on Wikipedia so I didn't get completely lost. Besides that, it was a good film. Gary Oldman is excellent as always and I do enjoy a good who's who of British actors. I think I need to see it again to really have it make sense in my head and to really appreciate it.

Battleship. Definition of 'Big Dumb Movie'. It's a film based on a decades old boardgame that most kids won't have heard of these days, with a tacked on alien invasion storyline and Rihanna as a member of the US Navy. Anyone expecting anything other than explosions, dodgy acting and a creaky plot were mental. Despite that, I was moderately entertained for a couple of hours. The action is decent enough and the aliens themselves have an original spin to them. A fun movie of no merit.

Life likes this.
  9. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    yeah tikka tikka tikka tikka is a really good film about secret gayness. and spies of course. i enjoyed it very much.

the last film i saw was heaven's gate, the recently released fully restored version. now that i've finally seen it, i have to say i really like it! it reminded me of the leopard, directed by that italian guy.

10. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    Cowboy Bebop

This one might only be good for fans of the series. It's hard to say since I'm a fan of the series. Somebody who has never seen the TV show should watch this movie and let me know what they think.

11. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    i've always said cowboy bebop is for people that don't like anime, so i would recommend to start with either, really.

12. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    I've said that and I've heard others say it too. It must be true. But then again, I like anime and I love Cowboy Bebop.

13. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    i like maybe 2% of all animes and i love cowboy bebop. how do i know i don't like an anime series if i haven't seen it? because i just DO.

Frank T. likes this.
  14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    The Impossible.

Highly recommend.

15. Maciste

Maciste Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2013
    An Empress and the Warriors.
    It was a fairly well made wuxia.

16. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Star Trek: First Contact (1996, Frakes)

Comfortably one of the best Trek films, a breakneck paced gung-ho adventure that challenges its protagonist, if not really anyone else. I think the psycho Picard seen here is somewhat justified, and Stewart can pretty much sell anything, really. Good antagonists and a curveball conceit at the core is pretty much the formula for a good Trek film.

17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I really haven't seen a movie in a theater since Skyfall back in November. Now I finally have the chance to enjoy a movie and am torn between two choices: The Hobbit - which I hear is somewhat disobeying - or Django Unchained - of which I great nothing but praises. Which would you all recommend?

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    The Hobbit, a fantastic movie

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It depends on what you're in the mood for- if you want a mildly light fantasy adventure film, go with The Hobbit. If you'd like to see a Spaghetti Western/Blaxploitation hybrid, see DJango.

20. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Just rewatched The Scarlet Pimpernel (1982) for the first time in ages. This was probably my favorite, and most seen, film when I was a kid, and I was a bit worried that it wouldn't be as good as I remembered it. I was relieved to see that it still holds up as a classic, fun adventure film with some gorgeous, and accurate, costumes. The ending fencing duel is a bit silly, but fun. I also discovered that I still know most of the lines by heart.This is also another proof that every role Ian McKellen plays is actually evil, so I still don't trust Gandalf. ;)

21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Who does it disobey? Christopher Tolkien, or maybe those who didn't want three films?

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It disobeyed my bladder and my attention span with its unruly runtime...

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  25. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Lincoln. Amazing film. I'd be incredibly surprised if Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't pick up his third Best Actor Oscar and it would be very much deserved. He's more than just a spitting image of the man, he carries the required gravitas and excels at portraying Lincoln's famed oratory skills. For me it was quite confusing to follow in places, not being familiar with American Civil War politics, but despite that it was still a great film. The best Spielberg film I've seen since Saving Private Ryan.

The Cabin in the Woods. A great satire of the modern horror genre. Darkly funny, you can tell it was written by Joss Whedon just in terms of the number of Buffy/Angel references. As a general rule, I'm no great fan of horror films outside of the zombie genre and even then only in exceptional cases. What was so good about this was it played upon the more ridiculous elements of horror films, such as the stupid decisions made by the characters. I also liked the number of actors from sci-fi and fantasy TV shows from the last 10-15 years or so that showed up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.