main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Someone on another website made the comment that Nolte is officially ready to be classified as a bear. I'd tend to agree.

Also... what the hell was the point of the Josh Pence character? Nolte's... gimp or what?

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I have no idea. Did you think there was any point to Emma Stone's character? I thought she was miscast and deserves better than just being shameless eye candy.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I just re-watched The Untouchables a few days ago for the first time since I was about 13, and it was a lot dumber and cheesier than I remembered.

I also watched Safety Not Guaranteed, an indie I bothered to rent only 'cause it stars Aubrey Plaza. It was okay, I guess. Not really all that many jokes despite being marketed as a comedy, and has a lot of "quirky" indie cliches.

Life likes this.
  4. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    that gangster squads reminded me of some sort of busted-ass version of dick tracy or something when i saw the trailer in the darkened theater. i quietly mouthed, "you are a no-go."

5. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    There's no point to any of it. I don't think Stone is necessarily a great thesp, but Gosling is, and his character is just as pointless as Stone's, ultimately. It's a dumb mess, devoid of style. See, with The Untouchables, De Palma and Mamet are actually going for something that's tinged with pastiche and develops the way a film should. Fleischer is doing nothing of the sort.

6. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    The Election starring Will Ferrell and Zach Galifinakas.
    Some laughs, but mostly meh.
    3 out of 10

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Beasts of the Southern Wild. I often find meandering indie films to be extremely boring and pretentious. But this one actually held my interest pretty well. It just had a lot of energy and there was a story, even if there wasn't a strong plot. I found the character interactions to be interesting and often humorous, another thing you often don't get from such films. It was quite odd, but I kind of liked it. I thought the shaky cam was a bit much, and things going in and out of focus trying to be artsy mostly just felt like they were trying to cover the fact that their operation wasn't great.

B

8. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    that's a great one.

9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Lincoln: kinda boring, but good. Daniel Day Lewis is great.

Dredd: cool flick and very underrated

The Hobbit vol1: I enjoyed it for the most part.

Total Recall : pretty good and different enough from the Verhoven film to stand on its own, imo.

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Pan's Labyrinth: Man I wish I had seen this sooner. I liked it quite a bit, but it was not what I was expecting. I thought there would be more fantasy added to it, but I'm actually glad that the reality and fantasy was 50-50. Yeah not a kid's movie in the slightest either.

Life and VadersLaMent like this.
  11. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Just watched Sum of all Fears on TV yesterday. It was something that piqued my interest way back but I never got around to watching it, but yesterday I decided to sit through it. And my God, was it a horrible movie.

Also re-watched Iron Man 2 on TV...and it actually seemed to be much better than when I watched it the first time.

12. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Breaking Dawn Part 2. :p

Before that, it was Zero Dark Thirty.

13. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Take This Waltz, with Michelle Williams and Seth Rogan. I was surprised how good this movie was. It lulled me into thinking I was watching a conventional lightly comedic, vaguely mumblecore-ish drama about temptation in marriage. But with an actual script. Then it slammed me with a surprisingly bleak assessment of options available to people when the novelty of a relationship wears off. It was the only married couple drama I've seen in years with such a nice payoff in terms of making me feel really uncomfortable about my own life.

One of the things this movie exposes is why it is exactly that people have affairs, try hard to keep it secret from their spouses, and often don't leave the marriage unless the affair is exposed. Sometimes everyone is better off this way. One of the reasons dishonesty is popular is that it sometimes creates positive outcomes. The Michelle Williams character is honest. Consequently, her life is ****ed. That's one of the things that makes this movie more honest than most.

The message of the film, cleverly presented in the most un-erotic women's group shower scene ever put on film excluding Holocaust movies: everything gets old and you need to come to terms with it. A frank appraisal of adulthood, and slightly unexpected. Dawn of the Dead girl Sarah Polley is a damn good writer. Maybe not terribly innovative as a director, but the story and dialogue and performances really hold the piece together.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  15. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Yes! Taken 2! Maggie Grace at almost 30 has a screen dad who won't let her get to second base. She is so cute, hope she can find something better to do with her time than stuff like this and Lockout.

Neeson looked so bored. At the end of the movie, he tells his adversary how tired he is of the whole thing. And I really believed him.

Life likes this.
  16. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Gangster Squad.

I enjoyed the look of the film (lots of white-rim tyred vintage cars, glamorous people etc) and overall thought it was acted pretty well despite Sean Penn getting a bit hammy with his Cohen impression (which may well be accurate, in which case I retract). Lots of shooting and violence as was expected from this type of movie, but also some humour to lighten the mood.
    Robert Patrick was awesome as the gunslinger cowboy-style cop.

17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  18. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    she looked way too old in the first one too. also

Life likes this.
  19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Dredd.

Liked it. Pity it didn't do too well at the box office.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Journey to the Center of the Earth

22. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    okay. *delete*

dammit, it didn't work!

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    only mods can :p

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The Jazz Singer: Well I had to see this eventually since it's essential. I still don't really know what to think. The use of sound is fairly interesting, and the iconic "you ain't heard nothing yet" line sent some chills down my spine. It was pretty difficult to distinguish what Al Jolson was singing the whole time.

25. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    no i can do it! i can do it! it's just not working right now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.