main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    The Life Before Her Eyes which was rec'd to me here. It was...powerful, heart-wrenching and I didn't suspect that ending.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Sorry, this was just one of those where I wasn't really interested but had heard good things and saw it at Redbox.

Same with The Help, which I watched last night.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Men in Black II

A very fun movie.

4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Hot tub time machine: Comedian Jim Gaffigan does a bit where he talks about those books and movies you don't read/watch until they've been out for a few years. You end up loving them, but nobody wants to talk about them anymore because they've moved on to whatever's hot at the moment.

That was my experience with HTTM. A movie I absolutely loved, but could only elicit a few "Yeah, that was pretty good [mumbles] three years ago." from my co-workers today. - 8/10

Life likes this.
  5. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Safety Not Guaranteed. Can't say it worked for me as a comedy but I still really enjoyed it. B+

6. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    The Pirates: Band of Misfits. I loved it.

7. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Invictus
    Directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon, this is part a sports movie in the vein of Remember the Titans, Any Given Sunday et c. and part biographical political drama. Following the end of apartheid, Nelson Mandela, contrary to popular demand, rather than dismantling the old rugby team, the Sprinboks, decides to get behind them and use them as a vehicle to advance his vision of national reconciliation and unity. The 1995 Rugby World Cup, which was to be held in Johannesburg, serves as a vehicle to galvanise support for the Springboks.

Well made, well paced, well performed and not overly sentimental (imho, at least). I liked it; I found it inspiring and uplifting.

JUKE-SKYWALKER likes this.
  8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Side Effects

I really loved this movie. It's Soderbergh doing a sort of riff on Hitchcock. The less you know about this film the better, though you should certainly know that Rooney Mara is still the best actress under thirty right now. And as for Jude Law . . . where the hell have you been? His performance is really great and it just reminded me of just how much fun he is to watch. Be in more movies, stat!

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I saw Looper last night. It was okay. Entertaining, with clear time travel rules and with a strange change of pace and setting midway through the film.

DarthMane2 likes this.
  10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The thing I loved about that change of pace and setting was just how unexpected it was because they had purposely not shown anything out of that section in the trailer. I don't think they hinted at anything in the last hour of the movie in the trailer, which is great.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Stuart Little

A fun movie

12. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I loved "Looper" for exactly that reason...and the fun time-travel aspect of it.

13. Blue_Lightsaber42

Blue_Lightsaber42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2007
    Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie

14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Flight

Pretty good even though the commercials for the Blu-ray/DVD spoiled the end of the film
    I really enjoyed Denzel's performance
    If you are/were a "My Name is Earl" fan, you will LOVE the first 5-10 minutes of the movie

15. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    The last couple of films I watched on my cable's OnDemand:

The Amazing Spider-Man- It was pretty much okay, but did they really need to rehash Spidey's origin and Uncle Ben's murder?

Wanderlust- Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston are a couple with hectic lives who discover a hippie commune, where they feel much free. It may not be for everybody, but it's good for some cheap laughs, like when Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston are about to make love in their New York apartment, but they're so tired he ends up falling asleep on top of her.

Oh yeah, since Judd Apatow produced this, expect to see much peener.

16. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Limitless: A very interesting SF thriller. I didn't quite like that certain things were left rather vague or in the air (such as the origin of the wonder drug that drives the plot), but it was still very entertaining. This is perhaps the first collaboration between Bradley Cooper and Robert De Niro and, to borrow a line from the end of the film, Cooper made De Niro his b****. Then again that's not much of a stretch considering the sorry state of Bobby's career in his twilight years.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Hitchcock. The one that was about Hitchcock... not the one about homeless, invincible Will Smith...

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  18. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    That was Hancock. :p

19. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I do give them kudos for not spoiling this aspect in a day and age of marketing where the trailers give away almost everything, but the second half felt to me like it belonged to an entirely different film. The effect was jarring. I suspect it might play better the 2nd time around.

Get the Gringo - Deftly manages to be both unflinchingly dark and hysterically funny. Also a great reminder that Gibson is easily the best of the AARP action stars working today - 7.5/10

Life likes this.
  20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Stuart Little 2

Better than the 1st one but the music sounds sooo much like Back to the Future

21. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Cloud Atlas. Weird but good.

22. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    finally saw Django. it exceeded my expectations.

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Drive (2011)

Not quite what I expected. It relied on a lot of motifs, and I think that really worked. Gosling was good, certainly a very different sort of role for him. Al Brooks was great and gave a very nuanced performance to a character that could have easily been played over-the-top, but he really got it down pat. See Ron Perlman's performance for a great contrast.

epic , DarthMane2 and Life like this.
  24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh and I forgot to mention, the soundtrack was ****ing awesome.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  25. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    Argo- still wondering how that won best picture...

was good but nothing to write home about...

Quality in movies has dropped off quite a bit... This movie in 1994 wouldn't have even been nominated

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.