main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Safety Not Guaranteed

I got into it actually and I liked it. I didn't think I would.

2. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    aka Kevin James eats at Taco Bell.

heels1785 likes this.
  3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The Grey

Awesome movie, Liam Neeson, fantastic as always

4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Agreed. The Grey made my personal top-5 of 2012 list.

Dredd - With a pinch of The Raid: Redemption, a dash of RoboCop and a tablespoon of Dirty Harry, this extremely well made (and violent) B-movie presents a very different type of "comic book movie" than we're used to - 7/10

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Chronicle. It was better than I thought it would be. Good acting, mostly realistic consequences, though the "found footage" format had to find some pretty implausible excuses for cameras to be around and it sometimes fell victim to high school and bullied kid cliches.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  6. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Flying High/Airplane. That was a good bit of fun - better than the Naked Gun, I couldn't manage the first few minutes of that (too many sexist jokes)

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Final Destination 2

Good movie, enjoy the FD series

8. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Heathers

What a classic.

Bacon164 likes this.
  9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Little Man

Hilarious movie, a must see comedy.

10. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I just finished House at the End of the Street.
    It was better than expected, and the end! I mean, the last 30 seconds of it, made it worthwhile. I had a suspicion about things but that was the icing on the cake. 4/5 stars, for acting and plot movement.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Catfish (2010)

Watched this in a psychology class. Pretty funny timing, considering recent events. :p Anyway, I thought it was a well-put together documentary and an insightful look at the lengths people will go to perpetuate such a scam. I've heard some people think this is fake, but it seemed real enough to me, even though I find it odd that a guy that age would become friends with a supposed child prodigy. Who's the weird one again? :p

12. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    ANH last night. What can I say? I like Star Wars. [face_dunno]

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I've just watched Wreck It Ralph for the second time. Great film, and robbed of the Oscar by Brave. While Brave was very good, it wasn't as great as Ralph or The Pirates.

Frank T. and Ramza like this.
  14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i watched the 1990 vhs version of the empire strikes back about a week ago. it was the first star war i had watched since revenge of the sith came out and it was pretty awesome. those were really good movies once.

Debo likes this.
  15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There were, like, three non-superficial changes to the SE of ESB and one was removed from the DVD and Blu-ray versions. Don't tell me you're whining about the shot of the wampa's whole body and the removal of granny monkey-eyes. :p

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yes, it's true that esb was tinkered with the least for the special editions. but the added cgi shots, particularly in cloud city, really do take me out of the film. they look so fake and out of place that it's detrimental to the illusion of the rest of the film. suddenly i start seeing what is fake about the production instead of being immersed in the viewing experience. i wouldn't go so far as to say that these few changes "ruin" the movie but they do unnecessarily mar something that was nearly perfect.

J_Girl, JUKE-SKYWALKER and Frank T. like this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yes, the problem with the SEs is I find myself focusing on the changes, all of which were unnecessary.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Y'know, I don't mind the changes from the Star Wars SEs, but the changes Lucas made to THX 1138 are much more noticeable and jarring. Those changes were definitely unnecessary.

19. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    I agree with tom in that seeing the changes, especially in Empire, robbed me of the ecstasy I was in as a kid seeing them for what they were...something I loved. Something that was somehow mine. Something other people didn't always get. The SE's were a blow to that part of me that loved Star Wars, and of course the PT was...well, we all know what that was.

Anyway...WDNDSWITJCC.

I'd like to take this opportunity to echo what Diggy said about Brave. It was great, but imho, The Pirates should have taken the Oscar. Wreck-It Ralph was awesome too.

I'm glad Paper took the best short.

20. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I hadn't seen the original THX 1138, so I didn't notice the changes when I watched it a while ago, except that I remember I was pretty impressed with the high speed car chase at the end, and suspected that Lucas had tampered with it for the re-release.

21. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    The "updates" made to THX are really jarring. It's like playing an Atari 2600 game and then all of a sudden the graphics shift to PS3 quality for a few seconds before shifting back again [face_hypnotized].

License to Kill - I've been on a bit of a Bond kick of late, skipping around between eras. It's been really interesting because some films I once considered good I found to be less than (Dr. No), and others I once thought were subpar were much better than I remembered (Moonraker - No really). But LtK is exactly the movie I remember. Darker and more violent than any Bond before it, LtK had more in comon its action contemporaries like Die Hard than it did with any of its Bond predecessors. Like nearly all Bond films it's 20-30 minutes too long, but Robert Davi makes for dangerous and refreshingly grounded villain and the stunts are first rate. I love Dalton as Bond, and it's a shame he only got two outings. LtK is a fresh take on the Bond formula. Way ahead of its time. - 7/10

22. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    Watched Wreck-it Ralph for the first time yesterday.

23. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    "Road to Bali" with Hope & Crosby and Dorothy Lamour. Very funny stuff.

And I'm in the middle of watching "The Girl Can't Help It", starring Jayne Mansfield and some other people I can't seem to remember right at this present moment funny can't imagine why...

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Faster

Awesome movie with Dwayne Johnson

25. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Last night was a double feature. We watched "Butter" starring Jennifer Garner. Great character humor and a decent enough story. It tried a bit too hard to tug at your heart strings, but made up for that in its character-driven comedy.

Then we watched "Goats" starring Agent Mulder. Great movie until it ended unexpectedly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.