main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Just watched Wreck-It Ralph for the first time....

I enjoyed it immensely, but...there was one HUGE missed opportunity....

They should have cast Jaleel White to return as Sonic.

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Jeepers Creepers 2

Good movie, better than the first

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Contact. Great movie.

=D=

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Oz: The Great and Powerful

Not a bad movie, terrible acting thought, James Franco was the wrong choice to be Oz

Loved Finley, he was a hoot

Mila Kunis was a terrible Wicked Witch of the West

5. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    No. It wasn't. In fact it sucked....like a lot.

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Ur opinion :p

7. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Yes. A correct opinion. That treads dangerously close to fact.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The Great Silence. On its surface - at first - it's a pretty straightforward spaghetti Western featuring a noble silent protagonist who operates a bit outside of the law.

Then you find out that he's silent because his vocal chords were cut out by one of the villains a long time ago.

And then the villains win and massacre most of the cast, including the protagonist in an ending that can only be adequately summed up as:

[​IMG]

Apparently the ending was so shocking that the Italian censors forced Sergio Corbucci to make an alternate ending, which is much more in line with traditional Western finales - backup arrives and helps the hero defeat the baddies to save the day. Luckily Corbucci won out and I get to stare at my screen in utter disbelief for ten or so minutes.

Life likes this.
  9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Great movie, can't wait for Desolation of Smaug

10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Olympus Has Fallen... a movie that certainly was better than it should have been, given the predictability of the story. Gerard Butler does a great job, as does Eckhart & Freeman. Angela Basset's role could have been expanded, and though Rick Yune's Kang was an effective villian, his back story could have been expanded upon. Throughout this film I couldn't help to think of Air Force One... though that movie had better villians/acting, the scope & depravity of Olympus Has Fallen is far more grand & effective. Also, a scene or two with other foreign leaders during the negotiating phase of this movie would have helped, and if they're going to bother to include a couple of real life television news people for a couple of scenes, give them less than obvious stuff to talk about.

11. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    John Carter - Average, bland, full of clichés. Meh.

12. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Lost In Translation

My favorite film of last decade and my favorite Bill Murray movie.

Darth Venator likes this.
  13. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Argo and Zero Dark Thirty. Both...highly overrated IMO.

Frank T. likes this.
  14. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Hit & Run

It was quite humourous with some great actors and a fun-to-watch story.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Olympus Has Fallen: After saving L.A. from alien invasion, Aaron Eckhart becomes President, only to be taken hostage during an assault on the White House, allowing Speaker of the House Morgan Freeman to become President and save the world from a giant comet- because if Bruce Willis existed in this movie, none of that would have happened.

Joking aside, it was pretty good, though it falls just shy of really great action films like Air Force One or, say, 24. The actual action is really great and it has some good one-liners. There's a couple thin plot points that could have been spruced up (the villain's plot initially is contingent on a non-protocol decision on the part of the President) but it makes up credit in other areas (resolving the kid plotline quickly and directly instead of having him linger around constantly in danger, for example).

The war room scenes were hit and miss- it was hard to tell if you were supposed to be rooting for Freeman or not (on the plus side, Freeman is infinitely less annoying to watch than Glenn Close, who serves a similar function in AFO) and a few of his decisions could have been elaborated upon in a more realistic way (saying certain actions were for show instead of actually giving into demands, for example).

It also would have been nice to have let a subplot in where the military takes a more active role, with Butler supporting them to help achieve an objective more directly (though without taking away from his "lone hero" function). Having all that hardware and manpower just sitting on the sidelines seemed like a waste and leaves us empty wanting at least one cathartic "Frack Yeah!" moment with them.

16. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    We've had so many shot-for-shot remakes of Die Hard now that it's easy to lose track, including several iterations of Die Hard on a Plane! Olympus has Fallen loses the plane, but keeps the president, and sidelines him to passive hostage status. It integrates the Fallen Secret Service Agent in Search of Redemption plotline, the Double Agent Secret Service Agent subplot, and the Destroy National Landmarks subplot from disaster movies. Also, it adds the Widowed President Dad subplot and the Precocious First Child subplot, as well as the Nuclear Missile Launch Code subplot from Die Hard on a Boat, making it perhaps the most incestuously inbred of all the Official Die Hard Ripoff movies. Other than the sheer volume of plotlines borrowed from other movies, the chief innovation in Olympus is the gore and violence. The digital bloodsprays and bashed in heads come to us via zombie movies, but here they're pressed into service admirably for killing hostages and terrorists.

Normally, this movie would have starred Mark Wahlberg. For such a crass, jingoistic patriotism fest, it's funny they hired a Scotsman for the leading role.

Life likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Death Race: The 2008 Paul W.S. Anderson version. This would mark the second time I've seen it. It's a really fun movie with some nifty chase sequences. It's also really stupid and clichéd much like everything else W.S. has done besides the pretty good Event Horizon.

Life likes this.
  18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas

Ehh not a bad movie

19. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012

I'd never seen before. Honestly I found it kind of annoying.

20. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    'Lincoln', I think my hopes for this were way too high. Love Daniel Day Lewis and he is absolutely fantastic in it but the film really has a hard time giving a cohesive story. The 13th Amendment may have been Lincoln's crowning achievement but I think a far more interesting point would have been his role as commander in chief and that is hardly drawn upon. It's an interesting film in terms of seeing the legislative process in the country but it isn't really a movie about characters.

21. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Kind of annoying? It's one of the least funny movies ever billed as a comedy.

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    What?! It's Spielberg's masterpiece!

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I finally saw Skyfall. Good film, good acting, nice action sequences. Has really cliche plot points (bad guy gets captured early, escapes easily), but I liked the character focus and that it displayed a sense of humor. I'd say it's probably the best of the Bond films I've seen, though I'm not generally a fan of the pre-Craig stuff of which Austin Powers could almost pass as a straight imitation.

Oh, and the film is gorgeous. It was like an eye massage. I can't believe an action film has such amazing cinematography.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah.

A masterpiece of ****.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I blame Belushi, at least in part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.