main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Billy Madison

Ha funny movie

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Dark Knight.

I absolutely love the Joker as a villain, and Nolan Batman is monumentally better than Burton Batman.

But does Christian Bale's gravelly Batman voice get on anyone else's nerves? It was more prominent here than in Batman Begins.

Life likes this.
  3. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I don't think he's monumentally better, but Bale was a much better Bruce Wayne. And the Nolan films have the luxury of actually being about BATMAN, as opposed to Burtons. If Keatons Batman had had that same luxury then I doubt there would be much debate. Batman Returns would have ended up being the Batman film to beat if only it's main hero was the main character. Keatons Batman still has the badass factor on his side.

And Yes THE DARK KNIGHT is a masterpiece of the super hero genra.

I recently watched CHRONICLE. Was pleasantly surprised. The found footage was a hit and miss, but it was clever at times. The main selling point however is that it told a great story of a bullied teen who becomes a villain. Really well done in that aspect.

4. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    You're not the only one annoyed by it. It gets positively comical in the third film where he speaks to himself with that voice (!) in one scene.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Hey, you never know. There could have been unseen spectators lurking around on that rooftop somewhere. :p

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Godzilla ( American Version )

Love this movie, can't wait for the reboot

7. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

It had been about 12 years since I last watched this. I still love it. And today I went out and rented a handful of Hong Kong action.

8. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    EVIL DEAD

I really don't understand the good reviews for this thing. If your an Evil Dead fan how can you honestly even like it save for it's gore element.

Acting: Horrible

Logic and rational for actions: RETARDED

Proper use of

I can't even finish what I'm writing I'm so mad.

Life, JUKE-SKYWALKER and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Jurassic Park, IMAX 3D- I was fortunate enough to see the film in theaters as a kid during it's original run, however it was after having read the book and a summer of begging my mom to take me to see it.

So it wasn't until the end of August of that year, near the tail end of it's run, so I don't have too many distinct memories about the actual filmgoing experience from then (however I have to assume it wasn't much in the way of audience experience given the timing). Mostly I just remember reading the book on vacation down the shore and drawing the title logo a lot, filling in what i could from the toys and Making Of book my next door neighbor had (prior to the trip).

It wasn't until The Lost World hit 4 years later that I got to have a real JP experience in theaters with a proper audience (ok, I suppose one could argue it was only 3 years if one counts the teaser trailer I saw playing with Daylight in '96 while on vacation in Florida...hmm, sensing a vacation theme here...). Ended up seeing that 4 times in theaters, and it's still the most rewatchable of the JP films thus far (which is different from being the best JP film), even if the book was decidedly better. But, then, the cliff sequence is probably one of the greatest sequences Spielberg has ever shot, so that alone gets it major points.

And, of course, JP3 hit 4 years after that. And though it was a big disappointment, being mostly a retread or poorer imitation of the first film (and lacking the charisma and smarmy humor of Ian Malcolm that helped keep TLW afloat), I did give ita chance with two theatrical viewings.

(To it's credit, it managed to still pull off a couple good sequences, but it was so obviously harmed by it's written-as-they-shot-the-movie nature and it's clear lack of a final sequence with such an abrupt, laughable, resolution.)

Even with the so-so third entry, I still thoroughly enjoyed the series. It's difficult to not view JP as a watershed moment in film history and the turning point towards the digital effects of today. What James Cameron began with The Abyss and T2, JP finished. It's rare when a film can so completely change the world of film and the filmgoing experience like that.

To this day, I still refuse to believe anyone has been born who was not aware of a world before Jurassic Park. Naturally, that means the human race is on it's way to extinction, which is pretty appropriate given the subject of the film.

With that in mind I very much was looking forward to this 3D rerelease. Initially, it was more the fact of getting to see it on the big screen properly that I was looking forward to moreso than the actual 3D conversion. That was until I caught Top Gun in IMAX 3D in February, which happened to have the JP 3D trailer playing before it, which proceeded to impress me mightily of the 3D conversion job. It ensured I'd fork out the extra cash and drive the extra distance to catch it in IMAX 3D instead of a regular 3D theater, even if it was just an IMAX-D "Lie-Max" screen.

Oddly enough, all but one of the previews weren't shown in 3D (even those for films that are in 3D and whose trailers have been playing in 3D elsewhere). But i digress- onto the feature presentation!

The film still looks good, though it does show some age in a few shots- some are very crisp, others are a tad more muted or grainy. he audio mix is as aggressive as ever (the Raptor screams and (God Damn!) T-Rex roars are as satisfyingly assaulting as ever).

But the 3D? Oh my god, the 3D! Extremely well done. It was ridiculous. Ri-dic-u-lous. The way Spielberg shot this film, with almost every shot having a lot of depth and angled foreground objects makes it unnaturally well-suited to the 3D conversion process. You'd be hard pressed to think the film wasn't actually shot with 3D in mind.

I mean, I was aware of some shots being filmed the way he did here, but until you see it in 3D, you just don't realize how pervasive it is throughout the entire film. He shot the film like how I would have (what do you mean, "That sentence should be reversed"? ;) ).

I was about to yell at the jerk sitting in front of me whose big head was starting to block the screen when I realized it was Grant's head in the film during the Mr DNA sequence. [face_laugh]

As for the film itself, it's just as effective as ever, The "Welcome to Jurassic Park" sequence is still emotionally overwhelming and the T-Rex attack is still brilliant- only now it was far more terrifying having a 3D, lifesize (or larger than lifesize) T-Rex screaming at me, or staring me down with those eyes (particularly when it snaps up and sees Grant, Ho-Lee-Crap!). And the kitchen scene remains expertly choreographed (and is all the more impressive now after having seen just how much of that was actually a guy in a suit).

Much like with Raiders of the Lost Ark in IMAX, there are some nice small details you don't pick up on a smaller screen (though none this time around were as subtle as the insect flying into Belloq's mouth or the Nazi-punching monkey). In this case, the cab driver's reaction to Dodgson stiffing him on his tip, heh.

All in all, a very satisfying experience and certainly a movie better suited to 3D conversion than some other rereleases we've had over the past couple years (even Titanic and, to a greater extent, The Phantom Menace just were not filmed with that much depth of field to produce much of a 3D effect).

JUKE-SKYWALKER likes this.
  10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Just watched Paranorman with the kids, bloody great to be honest, best "family" movie I have seen in a long time, and the animation is astounding.

11. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    At the cinemas - G.I. Joe: Retaliation, which was an amazing film, best film of the year so far.

At home - The Spy Who Loved Me, which is one of Roger Moore's best Bond films.

12. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Evil Dead (2013) - I came into this from a much different perspective, DarthMane2. I don't like horror films--Scratch that, I hate them. But during peak movie season a group of us, friends/co-workers, check out the major releases every Friday and this week it was The Evil Dead. I've seen the originals, but they didn't make much of an impact on me (The more humorous and action driven Army of Darkness on the other hand is a personal fave). So there I was, not a horror fan and watching a re-make of a film I didn't care much for the first time around, and yet I found my self enjoying it. It didn't make me a convert, but I thought as horror movies go it was well made, solidly acted and clearly respected the originals, which isn't always the case with re-makes. At times I felt it didn't know what tone it wanted to strike (Or at least wasn't as adept at blending them together as the originals), and that uncertainty caused the various elements to subvert one another every now and then. But this is a film whose gears are greased with buckets of blood, and if that's your thing I think you'll probably enjoy it. However before you go buy your ticket, consider the source of this recommendation. - 6/10

13. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    The Raid: Redemption
    Indonesian martial arts action. The Indonesian equivalent of a SWAT team raid an apartment building known for harbouring gangsters and thugs; most importantly, a major crime boss suspected of buying most of Jakarta's cops. It all takes place in that building. The fight scenes are quite gritty and brutal. Some of it was a bit uncomfortable for me, but I'm faint of heart. YMMV. It's a bit slow in the beginning and takes some time to find its stride, but when the hand to hand combat begins, it gets fun. Great choreography, at times even impressive. The plot is razor thin and actions quite illogical at times, but who cares? :p Just make sure you watch the Unrated edition that includes the original Indonesian audio with subtitles. The English dub is horrible.

JUKE-SKYWALKER likes this.
  14. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    STOP REBOOTING THINGS

Juliet316 and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  15. -G-O-A-T-

-G-O-A-T- Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    The Masque of The Red Death

Vincent Price, Roger Corman and Edgar Allen Poe

Debo likes this.
  16. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Jurassic Park!!!!

DarthTunick likes this.
  17. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Looper

It wasn't bad, but...it was odd. I'm uncertain how to feel about it.

18. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I know how you feel. It was like watching two different movies. The first half sets up an intriguing sci-fi premise, and then the second half reduces that premise to a mere secondary plot device and takes what you think is an early throw-away detail and makes it the focus. The problem is they don't mesh very well IMO, and to me the last act felt like it belonged in another movie. Well made film, but a bit frustrating. I definitely need to re-watch this some time and see if it plays any differently with the benefit of a little foreknowledge.

19. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Ok I've calmed down enough to where I can give an actual review of my feeling to EVIL DEAD. There will be spoiler below.

First I'll get what I liked out of the way. Gore.....That's about it.

Everything else was crap IMO. I still don't understand the stuff with the Girl from the beginning or why she was so important. The acting was horrid. Isn't asking alwasy horrible in a horror film? Mostly, but these guys take it up a notch simply because none of them had any charisma at all. None. They were all bricks that spoke horrible dialogue. Never once did I care for any of them, and was so glad when they started dieing. The chick who played Mia was Ok, but she gets turned into the demon to soon for her character me to really feel anything for her. 4 eyes the retard, as I call him, gets the all time dumbass award in my book. Lets talk about that scene where he reads from the book.

First off there is no real motivation or lead up to him having any real interest in the book. It just shows him at the table and cutting it open. On pretty much every page of the Necro, it says ,"DO NOT READ ME." Well obviously he does. Why is this a problem? In truth it shouldn't be. It should be just a dumb dude doing a stupid thing in a horror movie. It's the execution of said scene that gives him the all time retard award. At no time must the actor have been told to show some kind of emotion while reading over the book. He seemingly never pays any mind at all to the warnings on every page. It's almost like....well here's my impersonation of dude reading the book.

"Why are there words in front of the inscription? I can't read what's underneath. This is so irritating. Let me get some paper and see If I can trace the inscription."

He never once pays any mind to anything ,just reads it. And you can only guess what happens from there. He also never really shows any emotion to having been the one to read and cause the trouble.

The blonde CHICK is the PRIME EXAMPLE OF CANON FODDER in a movie. She has no purpose other than to be dudes girlfriend. She disappears for multiple scenes and reappears at a whim. She was not a character she was a prop.

What about the throwbacks? No purpose other than they needed to be in an Evil Dead movie. The camera zooming through the trees in the original built up the horror and tension. Here it's used a couple times and for no other reason that as a throw back. The scenes with Mia in the basement are horrifyingly bad. It's a memorable scene in the originals, and was used in the remake. Nothing more. It's hardly even played up. She never really talks or trys to threaten the remaining kids. The scene in the preview with her peeking out isn't even in the film, I'm serious. The Tree Rape scene got a lot of talk, but wasn't even that interesting I thought.

I film was in no way scary. Just an all around major disappointment for me. If you honestly think this film is good then you really need to watch the original again. It's on Netflix Instant, do yourselves a favor and rewatch it. Then maybe you'll understand why your wrong about liking this film.

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I don't typically decide whether or not to see a film based on a review, but I was skeptical to begin with and it just sounds like you confirmed suspicions I had. That is, that the movie is about on par with Freddy vs. Jason.

Saved me a few bucks, thanks.

21. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Goldfinger. :D

The EPIX channel is having a James Bond marathon.

22. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Same review as above with a slightly better use of the English Language.Only slightly :)

Ok I've calmed down enough to where I can give an actual review of my feeling to EVIL DEAD. There will be spoiler below.

First I'll get what I liked out of the way. Gore.....That's about it.

Everything else was crap IMO. I still don't understand the stuff with the Girl from the beginning or why she was so important. The acting was horrid. Isn't acting alwasy horrible in a horror film? Mostly, but these guys take it up a notch simply because none of them had any charisma at all. None. They were all bricks that spoke horrible dialogue. Never once did I care for any of them, and was so glad when they started dieing. The chick who played Mia was ok, but she gets turned into the demon to soon for me to really feel anything for her. 4 eyes the retard, as I call him, gets the all time dumbass award in my book. Lets talk about that scene where he reads from the book.

First off there is no real motivation or lead up to him having any real interest in the book. It just shows him at the table and cutting it open. On pretty much every page of the Necro, it says ,"DO NOT READ ME." Well obviously he does. Why is this a problem? In truth it shouldn't be. It should be just a dumb dude doing a stupid thing in a horror movie. It's the execution of said scene that gives him the all time retard award. At no time must the actor have been told to show some kind of emotion while reading over the book. He seemingly never pays any mind at all to the warnings on every page. It's almost like....well here's my impersonation of dude reading the book.

"Why are there words in front of the inscription? I can't read what's underneath. This is so irritating. Let me get some paper and see If I can trace the inscription."

He never once pays any mind to anything ,just reads it. And you can only guess what happens from there. He also never really shows any emotion to having been the one to read and cause the trouble.

The blonde CHICK is the PRIME EXAMPLE OF CANON FODDER in a movie. She has no purpose other than to be dudes girlfriend. She disappears for multiple scenes and reappears at a whim. She was not a character, she was a prop.

What about the throwbacks? No purpose other than they needed to be in an Evil Dead movie. The camera zooming through the trees in the original built up the horror and tension. Here it's used a couple times and for no other reason than as a throw back. The scenes with Mia in the basement are horrifyingly bad. It's a memorable scene in the originals, and was used in the remake. Nothing more. It's hardly even played up. She never really talks or trys to threaten the remaining kids. The scene in the preview with her peeking out isn't even in the film...I'm serious. The Tree Rape scene got a lot of talk, but wasn't even that interesting I thought.

I film was in no way scary. Just an all around major disappointment for me. If you honestly think this film is good then you really need to watch the original again. It's on Netflix Instant, do yourselves a favor and rewatch it. Then maybe you'll understand why your wrong about liking this film.

23. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Coriolanus (2011): Modern-day version of the Shakespeare play directed by and starring Ralph Fiennes. I thought it was very good, but then I do love to hear that Shakespearean language spoken well. I'd never come across the play before, so this was my introduction to it, and an excellent introduction it was.

24. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    'Zero Dark Thirty', a troubling film with reprehensible politics that tries to rewrite history to promote a fascistic view of American history. I hated it but not for that reason. I'm a firm believer that good film making transcends whether or not you agree with a film's philosophies. 'Zero Dark Thirty' though is such a bore until the very end. It has no characters and really no stakes. I suppose Bigelow keeps me captivated in the first thirty minutes but it is a captivation of being horrified by the non-stop water boarding and torture being depicted. And the film very much believes that 'enhanced interrogation' is what led us to Bin Laden. I cannot recommend this movie and I very much hope that in time people don't look at this as a historical representation of what occurred,

25. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    That is a perfectly apt description.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.