Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

1. CT-867-5309 Chosen One

star 5

Meh, maybe for curiosity's sake.
  2. Team Padme Force Ghost

star 4
    The Grinch with Jim Carrey
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. tom Chosen One

star 6
    i watched the wolverine. it was pretty good, but i wouldn't have been scared of that big cgi bear either. i mean it was so fake looking. come on!
  4. Kenneth Morgan Chosen One

star 4
    You have my sympathies.
  5. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5

I know a lot of Van Damme fans love Hard Target, but for whatever reason I've just never cared much for it. Perhaps it's my aversion to Wilford Brimley :p. I love Kickboxer, though. Bloodsport, Kickboxer and Lion Heart form a sort of trilogy of JCVD fight flicks. After that he began to get away from that and more toward traditional action with a martial arts twist. That is until...

I re-watched The Quest about a year or so ago. It's a great looking movie, but it's a little slow at times. I think Van Damme was trying to make the Lawrence Of Arabia of kickboxing movies with all of the epic travelogue stuff. The results were a bit mixed. Great cast, with Roger Moore and James Remar giving nice performances. For whatever reason the wheels fell off for both Van Damme and Segal when they decided to direct.

I've seen my share of Van Damme's direct-to-DVD stuff—The Hard Corps, Second In Command—but I haven't seenThe Order; at least not all the way through. I caught a few minutes on USA several years ago. I'll check it out :D.

Yeah, JCVD is... interesting. I enjoyed parts of it, but I didn't feel that it fully worked. But one thing that did work was Van Damme. His monologue there at the 1/2 to 2/3 point blew me away.

Speaking of Van Damme, have any of you seen his new commercial for Volvo? It's apparently gone viral in the last few weeks.
    Last edited by Juke Skywalker, Dec 7, 2013
    Darth Raiden and CT-867-5309 like this.
  6. heels1785 Community Moderator & JD Commish

star 6
    Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End

I think this one, along with On Stranger Tides, got panned by critics- it's my favorite of the four. The battle on the maelstrom is iconic, and the ending is satisfying.

Also, Hans Zimmer. #1 fanboy here. Sorry if that's an offensive phrase.
  7. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    It's a good scene tough
  8. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    The Haunting (1999)

This is probably one of the more visually stunning haunted house horror flicks I've seen in recent memory. I am a big fan of Jan De Bont because his films are always entertaining no matter how stupid they get. The house itself has a personality with some really great set designs. It's too bad none of the characters are interesting, and that the movie completely goes off the rails during the last 30 minutes. Owen Wilson's fate is pretty damn funny too for all the wrong reasons.
  9. DantheJedi Force Ghost

star 5
    Last night, I watched a couple of comedies on my cable's OnDemand service. The first was Wild Child, which was about a hell-raising California girl played by Emma Roberts who is sent to a girls' boarding school in England as punishment, which is run by Natasha Richardson (RIP), and is treated like dirt by a blonde, snobby Aryan-like aristocratic girl. The film was okay, but the bit where Emma Roberts' character finds out her mother went to the same school was a bit contrived.

The next film I saw was Bad Girls of Valley High, which was like a I Know What You Did Last Summer parody, with some great jokes and gags. This high school is run by a bunch of rich kids known as The Huns (short for thename of the gated community they all live in, which had the word "Hundred" in it). A year after one girl is killed by the others for liking a boy one of the others liked, they all think the new foreign exchange student is this dead girl's ghost come back for revenge, and their sudden aging is part of it. I won't spoil what happens, but let's just say these girls pretty much get what's coming to them.
  10. Dinos4Ever Jedi Master

star 2
    I watched Rango last night and I think that one didn't have children as in mind in the target demographic as it seemed it was aimed mostly at families. The lack of the childish comic relief moments or characters made the movie much more engaging. The plot itself involved several mature themes, including the main theme of survival in a land without the necessary resources. I was also surprised by the amount of light swearing in the film, which made me research who did the film and I was surprised it was Nickelodeon Studios (I hadn't watched a decent movie from them in ages). The voice acting in the movie was superb. Johnny Depp wonder nothing like I expected of him, and Bill Nighy was great as ever. Gore Verbinski makes great movies when he's not bogged down by executive meddling. I can tell that the fugly characters were probably a major contributor to why the movie didn't do well, but I think if people give the movie a chance, they'll think it's not half bad.
    Last edited by Dinos4Ever, Dec 7, 2013
    Sarge likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    I liked Rango when it was Fantastic Mr. Fox.
  12. Team Padme Force Ghost

star 4
    Revenge of the Sith...this movie never gets old for me!
  13. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    It desperately needs a dialogue polish but otherwise I think it is a pretty fun movie
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7

The original has some admirably well-handled characterizations and pretty much none of the remake's FX. If I could edit the 2 to meet somewhere in the middle, it would be one of my favorite horror films.
  15. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Birth of a Nation: Good, but boy that's the most black face I've seen in any film ever.

Horror of Dracula: Good, but doesn't hold a candle to Bela Lugosi's version. Christopher Lee was good in the role, but he wasn't in it long enough to out shine what Lugosi brought to the role. I used to think BL version was great, but slightly campy. After watching HOD, I say that Dracula is darker, more moody, never slows down, and is way more fun. Plus the intrance of Dracula in the BL version is so awesome.

Best part of HOD was when I heard a familiar voice, and finally caught on and said out loud, "ALFRED."
    Last edited by DarthMane2, Dec 7, 2013
  16. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    The problem with the Hammer series is that they turn Dracula into a side character. He's sort of like a slasher who only exists to blankly fight the heroes. He gets almost no dialogue at all. The best entries in the Dracula series and that movie in particular is Peter Cushing as Van Helsing. If you liked this one at all I'd check out it's superior sequel 'Brides of Dracula'. It is Van Helsing's movie and Cushing is brilliant in it. The vampire while not Dracula or played by Lee has more mythos too.
  17. Count Yubnub Force Ghost

star 4
    Samsara, which I watched yesterday evening.
  18. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    War Games (1983)

A dated but entertaining techno-thriller with a very very very young Mathew Broderick.
  19. CT-867-5309 Chosen One

star 5
    Who didn't want to play Global Thermonuclear War?
    Last edited by CT-867-5309, Dec 8, 2013
  20. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    The Nostalgia Critic did a great comparison of it and the original. Suffice it to say, he doesn't like the remake.
  21. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    I really need to see the original. I've heard great things.
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    Man I really wanted to see that, but a blizzard came in and screwed the roads up too bad for me to venture out. Was it awesome?
  23. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    'White House Down', goofy as hell but you know I kind of dug a lot of it. It's pretty left leaning too.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
  25. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    And the younglings never will either!
    Juke Skywalker and heels1785 like this.