main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I can't defend the film, in all honesty, because there's a solid argument for it being terrible. But I can point out fake fake dimes and stuff and apparently be a huge ******* about it.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Titanic is one of those headscratching cases where you honestly wonder how such an unremarkable movie can go and win so many high tier awards. Yes, it probably deserved all the awards it won for technical achievements, wardrobe and the like. But not much else, IMO. L.A. Confidential should've taken the Best Picture nod that year.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    In fairness, Titanic is a more affecting movie than L.A. Confidential, and I think that has a lot of sway in the Best Picture category.

4. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    I guess it depends on one's definition of "affecting." The stomach flu is pretty affecting, but I think Titanic still has the edge in causing one to vomit.

In all fairness, Dirty Dancing and Ghost were two movies that were just as affecting as Titanic. And while Ghost was nominated for Best Picture, no one seriously expected it to win. (It did win screenplay) Like those movies, and maybe Kevin Bacon's Footloose before that, Titanic was just one of those pop culture phenoms that are forever stuck in its time. But Titanic was not any more "deep" (yes, pun intended) than a Dirty Dancing or Ghost, beyond the social aspect of sneaking into a theater with Margheritas and strawberries and making a night out of the shared experience.

LA Confidential was a near perfect period piece, with a fairly gripping story. If LAC had any weakness it was in its one dimensional characters, but then again, if you were to compare one dimensional characterizations in the sense of academy awards, then Titanic falls flat in this area as well.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It has been apparently greenlit as a limited series (likely due to the costs of producing a period-set series).

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't take it that way, I was more surprised than anything else.

The "love story" and characterizations were the worst part of that film though.

It's kind of bad when Kate Winslet spitting in Billy Zane's face was the best scene in the film.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No love for Good Will Hunting?:(

8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The Unknown Known

Rummy emerges as a hero of the spoken word. Divorcing his unique rhetorical style from all political power only makes it more enigmatic. I hope I'm that spry in my early 80s, if I live that long, which I probably won't.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Wizard of Oz (1910)

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Wow, how'd you get a hold of that? I've read that the filming was disastrous.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm a lifelong Oz junkie (everything aside from some MGM musical...) and own it on dvd. It's a wild ride for an early, early silent film.

12. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    The Manchurian Candidate(original): Great film. Can only bet it had a good bit of shock value for audiences of the time way back in 62.

soitscometothis likes this.
  13. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    the most worthwhile thing re melancholia is watching the characters as their imminent doom becomes ever more real and impossible to ignore.

Jabbadabbado and Bacon164 like this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Clone Wars, the Tartakovsky (sp?) version. This is animation, right? Shouldn't characters' faces be... well, you know... animated?

Now I know where Grievous gets his badass reputation.

15. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier. What hasn't been said about this movie? It's simply awesome. One of - if not the - best Marvel and superhero movies ever made. Could use less car chases though. :p 4/5 from me.

Sarge likes this.
  16. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Watched E.T. last night for probably the thousandth time. God that movie is great. And I totally named my dog Elliott after Elliott from the film.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  17. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I think that's the only time Grievous looked and acted positively badass. ROTS ruined him with his asthmatic craven coward act.

Sarge likes this.
  18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Did you ever see Return to Oz? Such a crazy and demented but visually stunning movie.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I did. They handled the cast of characters brilliantly. Particularly Tik Tok and Jack Pumpkinhead.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Oliver and Company - Part 1 of my Disney Classic Blu Ray movies, and this was a good one.

21. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The Wolf of Wall Street... a rather insanely entertaining semi-masterpiece via Scorsese & DiCaprio. It runs a little long, but that was my only complaint about the film. Despite the numerous acts of insane, obscene behavior shown, I think this film does the job of painting Jordan Belfort and his cohorts as despicable people (especially in the final act, when Jordan has his final fight with his wife, concerning their children). DiCaprio was a tour de force (cliche time!) in this... how'd he not win The Academy Award? **** out of ****.

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Disney's Robin Hood - Another great Classic

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Star Trek. My experience with Star Trek is limited to one episode of TOS and Galaxy Quest, but even I could guess this isn't much in the spirit of the source material. More importantly for me, since I don't really care about the source material, it's not a good movie. There are some great visuals, some fantastic design work, but it's mucked up by Abrams's lousy direction. And the plot is just plain stupid. Not a single thing that happens in the movie makes any kind of sense. It's just so poorly written. I didn't care for the dumb attempts at comedy, either, and the tone of the film overall didn't gel. I did like Karl Urban's perpetually frustrated McCoy, and Pine's performance as Kirk was completely charming in its goofball-bro energy. But the good performances are stuck in a poorly designed bomb of a film.

Darth_Invidious and Sarge like this.
  24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    The Host: I lasted probably 5 minutes then turned it off because it's so *dull* it's simply another Us vs Them alien flick and I tire of them.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Jack the Giant Slayer- Not as bad as I had feared. It's actually kinda fun, though not fully realized. It definitely plays more to a kid/family audience without being something overtly targeted towards them.

Ewan McGreggor brings a good amount of fun energy to his character (as well as a bad feeling about something- and medieval hair gel), and the kid from Warm Bodies is pretty decent as Hack. It's hard not to hear Bill Nighy's voice and not think of Davey Jones (though the giants aren't fully realized individual villains, his does get some subtle development- just wish there was more).

Good score too. CGI ranges in quality. Film was definitely marketed poorly though

Still, while I wouldn't give it a hard recommendation, you could do worse to kill a couple hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.