main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Gravity - saw it in 3D in the theater months ago. Loved it. Borrowed the blu-ray (not 3D) from my friend recently, watched it again, loved it. Bought my own copy. Watched it again yesterday. Thinking of buying a 3D TV and getting the 3D copy.

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, I need to get the Gravity DVD. Absolutely gorgeous looking movie in places.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I would avoid buying a 3D television. It's not worth the extra expense. It was DOA and the tech companies have already moved on to "4K" (another useless technology for most TV's) and concave screens and ****.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That besides, televisions are already 3D and actors are in 3D environments. This "technology" didn't make any sense in the first place.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Good cinematography already creates the illusion of 3D. That said, Gravity was one of the few justifiable uses of the technology.

Kiki-Gonn and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

I'm in love.

7. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    The Amazing Spider-man 2 - I liked it overall, and I must give mention to the great all-round performances from an honestly overqualified cast, but there are a host of problems here. The movie is almost two and a half hours long (!?) but almost all of the characters are still underdeveloped by the end; the action scenes are good but sabotaged by a few too many wisecracks or other gimmicks; and the script jumps around while leaving a trail of unfinished plot lines in its wake. In particular, the murder of Uncle Ben makes no appearance at all despite being something you'd imagine Spidey would be rather keen to keep looking into. Worst of all, though, the film just refuses to end when it really should have, and thus manages to ruin its best moment by allowing the emotion to simply drain away in an extra twenty minutes of unneeded fluff. A lot of wasted potential, really. 6/10

8. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    The bling ring

Well, I liked it. But then I'm a Sofia Coppola fan boy

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Iron Man 2. My foray into the Phase 1 Avengerverse continues.

10. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Peter Cushing segment of House That Dripped Blood. Admire his willingness to die to make a point.

11. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    'Return of the Jedi', an unspoiled VHS from the early 90's. Highly enjoyable and very nostalgic.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    At least you watched it, which is more than can be said for the Oscar voters.

13. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    That's what I watched today as well. I watched it on DVD (the unaltered version), but I seriously contemplated putting in my '95 VHS copy. When it comes to the OT, there are times when I'm actually in the mood for--and prefer--to watch them on VHS.

Drac39 likes this.
  14. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Get Him to the Greek. It was either that or another goddamn episode of the final season of HIMYM. On reflection HIMYM would probably have been funnier. Particularly irritating was male rape played for laughs.

15. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    There is definitely a great charm to watching a well worn and loved VHS

16. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

...until the tape breaks, killing both tape and player, as it happened to me. :( You have to admit though, modern tech has definitely made skipping or freezing scenes much less of a hassle.

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I watched the DVD copy of the original ROTJ a few months ago and it made me realize how much better the blu-ray is in terms of visual and sound quality. Also, I don't mind the changes at all, but I will admit the "Noooooo!" isn't really needed.

18. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I agree. Which is why I've held onto my VHS collection, even as I upgraded to DVD, and now Blu-Ray. None of my friends, even the ones my age, understand this :p.

Firefox (1982) - Before it was a browser, it was a Cold War thriller. Director/Star Clint Eastwood definitely takes his time building up to the finale, but the result is that it gives the third act some emotional purchase. A lot of characters--characters that we actually get to know a bit--sacrifice themselves to get Clint in that cockpit, and it ups the emotional ante. The F/X don't hold up very well, and the score it terrible, but I thought it was still a pretty enjoyable flick. - 6/10

- Firefox has a bit of Star Wars connection. Kenneth Colley (Admiral Piett) plays a Soviet Colonel, and the F/X were done by John Dykstra.

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Movies create the illusion of 3D without the actual distraction of it, in my opinion. Every movie I've ever seen in 3D was actually diminished by the technology. Something in the foreground would pop up in real 3D and it would distract my attention from the characters in the background where the really important stuff was going on. Meanwhile, in the real version, the foreground thing creates the illusion of the image being 3D while still allowing you to focus on the really important aspects of the shot. I'm really glad 3D tv flopped.

Well, I did see one really good 3D movie, which was Metallica: Through the Never. It was exclusively 3D in theaters, so I saw it and I actually felt that the 3D didn't really detract. Didn't really add anything either, but at least it didn't detract.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Studios are still pushing 3D BD copies in the combo packs (most likely because they know a separate 3D release down the road wouldn't be profitable after everyone already has a BD copy)- and I think you'll start to see TV manufacturers including 3D as just one of many options, but not the feature being pushed so that people aren't buying a 3D TV, they're buying a TV with 3D, which will ultimately build the available user base to the point where content providers will eventually give it another push (since it was the TV content provider/install base that ultimately led to the flopping of 3D TV- home theater usage seems to have done ok [or, at least, better]).

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Just because it's awesome, I would like to point out that this is all one sentence.

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    3D should go away and never come back.

KissMeImARebel and Kiki-Gonn like this.
  23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Great movie, better than the Avengers, will be interesting when we will see Bucky again

24. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
  25. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    Son of Batman and I loved it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.