main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This summer will be no different. I imagine there will be more flops/disappointments (Jupiter Ascending, ASM 2, TMNT, etc.) than hits.

DarthMane2 likes this.
  2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    godzilla is probably the only film of that ilk i will see in theaters this year.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'll see DoFP. I might see Godzilla if I'm prepared for being disappointed in the movie roles Bryan Cranston takes.

4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Beyond Godzilla and possibly How to Train your Dragon 2, there isn't a must-see movie on this Summer's slate for me, but there are a whole lot of maybes, and a few potential sleepers. My favorite movie from Summer '13 was Fast & Furious 6, and trust me, I did not see that coming.

I dubbed 2013 "The Summer of Disappointment" because my expectations were dashed week after week. The bar is so low this time around that 2014 might be "The Summer of Surprise".

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    You guys forgot Dawn of the Rise of the Revenge of the Conquest of the Five Armies of the Planet of the Apes.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  6. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Only Lovers Left Alive - Best vampire film since Let the Right One In.

7. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    DARK CITY. Good film. Lots of nice ideas and twist, but yeah I wouldn't call it the Sy-Fy masterpiece some do. My opinion.

Matrix did it better. More accessible, more fun.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    More Pantoliano.

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Watched The Last Starfighter with the kids. Some good old 80s sci-fi cheese. Hadn't seen it in 30 years. I recall all the buzz about the CGI at the time, and it still holds up OK - better that some of the other similar movies from the era.

Also saw Good Vibrations about the Record Store / Punk Label set up in Belfast in the late 1970s amidst "the troubles" - bloody entertaining, and I didn't actually realise it was based on a true story until the Undertones turned up.

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Saving Private Ryan - Great movie, one of the best WWII movies ever made

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Treasure Planet, 2002. Visually awesome. Main characters weren't very imaginative. I think I would've liked it better if it had been either more sci-fi or more classically piratey; the balance that they chose just clashed too much for my taste.

12. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    And how about that amazing score?

Gosh, I love that movie so much.

I've always thought that 2000's vastly superior (at least IMHO) Titan A.E. was much more successful in those regards. But yeah, Treasure Planet is pretty to look at, and kudos to Disney trying something a bit different. Sadly, neither of these films was a hit.

DarthMane2 likes this.
  13. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Frank & Robot (2012) - In the near future, an aging former cat burglar with early onset dementia is given a caretaker robot. There's a plot you don't hear every day. It's a quirky, quiet little dramedy. Great performances all-around, but none better than Frank Langella, perhaps his generation's most underrated and underappreciated actor. - 7/10

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    How To Meet Girls From A Distance.

A quirky kiwi stalker rom-com. Worth a look if you're bored of the usual formulaic rom-coms.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Rambo First Blood Part II - This was supposed to be Rambo III considering the disc and the case says Rambo III but the movie is actually First Blood Part II but the movie is meh

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The Apartment
    Blue Jasmine
    Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
    Let the Fire Burn

Good movies.

17. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Frankenstein (1994)
    Frozen (2013)

18. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    House of Frankenstein,

A very fun and good hearted monster romp. Karloff is especially devilish as he dons the mad scientists' lab coat to experiment on the monster he once was.

19. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
  20. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Attack of the Clones

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Family (2013)

Apparently, Talented pre-Ronin DeNiro that was last seen hiding out in Silver Linings Playbook was kidnapped by the government once more.

22. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Watching Mash right now. Only half way through. Still think Nashville is Altmans best work.

Was getting excited to get Sorcerer in the mail this week, but no Blu Ray comes out and now the movie all of a sudden has a long wait on my Netflix page.

23. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Was it any good?

The Guard: I liked it.

24. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    it was okay. i kind of feel like jarmusch's films are becoming more and more "jarmuschy" - creating to a greater and greater extent a world filled with stuff that he's personally interested in. it's kind of absurd to me that a guy that supposedly wrote an adagio for schubert is now doing shoegazey droney guitar music (that just so happens to be written by jarmusch's own band). like that's the modern equivalent or something. i dunno, maybe it is, or maybe it's a commentary on the degradation of the arts over time or whatever. also all the forest gumpy name dropping "remember when we hung out with lord byron" "yes dear it was marvelous" etc. became pretty tiresome early on.

i guess the thing i liked the most about it was the way it recasts vampires as hollowed-out, world-weary junkies that find little inspiration and no joie de vivre in present times but are still reliant upon its various things - eve has an iphone, adam doesn't but has futzed with his 80's era phone, early 00's era laptop and 50's era tv so that they can videoconference (adam lives in a completely abandoned section of detroit, eve in tangiers at the beginning of the film).

the other interesting thing is how adam, eve, and the john hurt vampire procure their blood through indirect means rather than predatory ones (john hurt has a french doctor nearby that provides him and eve "the good stuff", while adam has a source in a local hospital). the stated reason for this is that the blood of modern day humans has become "contaminated", but it reinforces the drug metaphor as well.

so i don't know, i guess if you like jim jarmusch a lot then see it. if you like vampires a lot, you may find this interesting. otherwise, you could probably skip it and not have lost out on very much.

25. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows pt 1 and pt 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.