main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Why not. Because Star Wars.

2. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I've been going into the first season of 'Rome'. It's a brilliant show and is in many ways HBO's predecessor to 'Game of Thrones'.

3. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    X-Men proved that you could take these characters from the comic book and indeed adapt them to the screen. It made for a good film.

Spider-Man proved that you could make a great Super Hero film.

Spider-Man 2 proved you could make one that is near oscar worthy.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. X-Men proved that it was possible to make a good comic book film. Spiderman 2 proved that it was possible to make a great comic book film.

5. JangoMike

JangoMike Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    The Robocop Reboot

6. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006

it was pretty good. i think game of thrones is a better show, though. for sure.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Tyler Perry's Daddy's Little Girls (2007)

My first and potentially last Tyler Perry movie. Actually, it wasn't all that terrible. I mean, the screenplay was incompetently written, but Idris Elba as always was the best thing about the movie. He and Gabrielle Union had some good on-screen chemistry too.

The World's End (2013)

A solid comedy and fitting conclusion to Wright's trilogy though I want to point out that it's almost as if there's an underlying sadness seeping throughout the film. Regardless, it was a lot of fun though not nearly as quirky as Hot Fuzz.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Whereas this reboot has proven that there was absolutely nothing intrinsic to the franchise made the aforementioned successes inevitable. Ye gods.

Draconarius likes this.
  9. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Knights of Badassdom: Wow...I...I don't even know where to begin with this one. It was free and for some insane reason I was compelled to watch this low-budget disaster. But for the life of me I can't even understand why. Let alone why Peter Dinklage was in this. It couldn't have been for the money.:confused:

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Seriously? Why, Tyrion, why?

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Isn't Summer Glau in it too?

12. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Unfortunately, yes.

13. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

Blame the studio. The director's intended cut was supposedly much better.

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The studios always **** things up. See: Terry Gilliam's butchered Love Conquers All Edition of Brazil.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

Particle Fever (2013)

Interesting documentary about the Large Hadron Collider and the search for the Higgs Boson. A lot of the characters were very interesting; the best were a pair of friends who favor different models of the universe; one goes in for Super Symmetry, the other for the Multiverse. The "conclusion" to that plot thread was pretty cool. I felt the film did a good job making the concepts at its core accessible to a mainstream audience and the film held my attention. Some of the special effects were dodgy and the film certainly was very cliched at times (such as the first collision, which is scored by, naturally, Beethoven's Ninth). Like The Unknown Known, it's valuable in that it's an informative documentary about an important subject that isn't boring,but it's also no great work of art. I'd say go see it if you're interested. *** stars.

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Gravity. Intense and gorgeous. Great movie. It richly deserved its seven Oscars.

Sarge and Violent Violet Menace like this.
  17. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  18. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    No where near as good as 'Game of Thrones' but I definitely think it served as a predecessor in really getting down that epic feel

19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) - Loved Garfield's quipy Spider-man. The 3D effects were very well done. Villains were lackluster.
    Labor Day (2013) - tried to have heart and warmth but ultimately fell flat

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Dredd So-so story and half-themes with decent leads and shot beautifully.

Valkyrie A thriller where all the "heroes" lose. I didn't really understand what the major complaints about this movie were, and most of the Netflix reviews whined about how the actors weren't German. Sure, it was kind of weird they were a bunch of British actors and Tom Cruise, but wtf? Also, I didn't know Bryan Singer directed it. Timely!

Beware of Mr. Baker I would suspect the filmmaker intentionally pissed Ginger off enough to get hit by his cane, except it wouldn't be difficult to provoke him accidentally. I'm not sure I'll believe the first reports when he really does bite it at 114.

Draconarius, jp-30 and DarthTunick like this.
  21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I found it pretty impressive that Valkyrie managed to retain a sense of real tension and suspense despite everyone knowing that the protagonists completely fail.

22. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Ginger Baker is the worlds biggest Ginger Baker fan. I found the complete lack of BBM (except one photo of Baker from the album cover shoot) a bit sad.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It was also sad how he blew the millions of dollars he got from the Cream reunion on polo horses. Weird, too.

jp-30 likes this.
  24. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    :( I've been looking forward to this one for a while now, but everything I read seems to confirm that it's a fail. I'll still probably watch it.

25. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    *Oops, sorry. Double post, so I split it into two* [face_blush]

King Kong (2005) - King Clunk would be more appropriate. The original is obviously a classic, but I'd even take the better than its reputation '76 version over this poorly acted, cartoony looking butt-numb-a-thon. - 4/10

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.