main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    You do make me laugh so.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't mind subtitles and that definitely sounds interesting.

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    No, seriously. Can someone explain this to me? I really am being earnest here. It was acceptable enough for two hours, though I didn't enjoy it a great deal. Regardless, though, the flaws I felt were there had nothing to do with my expecting something other than what turned out to be the case. Indeed, the real problem was that my predictions were all too accurate.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    He's probably just talking about how it was advertised as a horror film when it really wasn't.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  5. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I wonder if that is for the same reasons as me. I hated the anachronisms and desperately reaching references in movies like Hot Tub Time Machine and Take Me Home Tonight and some others. In addition to that maybe it's just that younger actors in some movies and showsset then aren't really coached on how to talk with the inflection and tone all wrong, or the script is written to try to appeal to younger viewers.
    This morning I watched that volleyball movie from the late '80s--I mean, 1990 Side Out, with C. Thomas Howell and Peter Horton. It's on Crackle, a free streaming service included with my TV that I rarely use because of the commercials and inability to rewind and pick up where I left off, like if I fall asleep. I couldn't really remember when this movie came out and it looks and feels like it's out of early 1988, save for some of the music, but it was made in 1989 and put out in early 1990. I couldn't believe it even reused Kenny Loggins' "Playing with the Boys" from Top Gun and in a volleyball scene. The movie, which I hadn't seen, was a sort of fun look back and not disappointing since it's what I expected.
    The same goes for St. Elmo's Fire, which I have seen a lot. It's like the previous generation's Reality Bites, and it makes for an interesting contrast when watching those two movies back to back. Still, you can't watch this without thinking of that time in 1985 when the Brat Pack was everywhere, and thinking of whatever else you were doing at the time, if you were there.
    I watched Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. The streaming version on Netflix doesn't look bad. It hasn't been given a decent DVD or Blu Ray release so don't expect it to be perfectly clear. I don't remember but it's obvious the movie was made with the 4:3 aspect ratio, so it's not cropped and not pan-and-scan. I can imagine a lot of people now would call it "dated" simply because tech savvy or pseudosavvy people are too focused on modern effects that they care too much what is used to make movies. I still feel immersed in the landscape and the excitement of scenes like the bee flight. It's one of those movies where viewers surely imagine how cool it would be to experience it, at least in the movie. In real life there would be far too many bugs to handle. I went to Disney World not long after this but right before the related attraction was added. This was one of the few videotapes I bought a long time ago, as it was priced-to-buy ("you do know this isn't for rent but for sale, right?" I remember a clerk asking me) so this movie is etched into my mind, misheard quotes and misunderstood stuff and all.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Sounds about right. I graduated from high school in 1989 so I "came of age" to Top Gun, the Brat Pack movies, Molly Ringwald's movies, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, etc.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off was the one that my friends and I watched over and over again. Ed Rooney reminded us of our principal and we only hoped that he would make as big an ass of himself one day. We would also watch the econ class scene and try to figure out which one of us fit the profile of which student. We did the same with The Breakfast Club.

I watch those movies now and think, wow, look at those phones, look at that computer...for about .2 nanoseconds. The rest of the viewing is just pure fun and nostalgia.

Whereas I look at college kids' idea of an "80s party" and go WTF. Yeah, we wore some neon, but we didn't glow in the dark like you idiots do. Yeah, I sprayed the hell out of my hair, but not enough to make my head the size of the Death Star. "That's no moon...that's the result of a gallon of AquaNet."

I think anyone wanting to throw an 80s party should be required to watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink and Sixteen Candles before booking any sort of facility.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  7. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    American Hustle, rewatch and liked it more the second time.

Though I couldn't help but think that everyone of the five main characters was in a superhero movie

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    As was already mentioned- the film was sold as a horror film, trying to make audiences think this was effectively a spiritual "Signs 2" in order to capitalize on that film's success.

After watching the final film, the trailer is almost along the lines of those "Mary Poppins as a horror film"-type trailer recuts on youtube.

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Wow. Maybe my memory is just poor. I only recall reading some reviews in the weekend prior, which mostly discussed the color coding and the allegory for the "post-9/11 world."

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Last of the Buccaneers. Paul Henreid stars as Jean Lafitte, a pirate and smuggler who lucked into being a minor hero of the War of 1812, which, with some historical massaging, makes him upstanding enough to be the protagonist of a pirate flick without sticking Slam Stoneblast in. It's pretty generic entertainment, but it's fun enough. It looks good in Technicolor, and Henreid has a Don Rickles-type joke-cracking sidekick who got a few laughs. Nondescript but functional swashbuckler.

Foreign Correspondent. Outstanding. A 1940 Hitchcock thriller, it stars Joel McCrea (excellently all-American) as a crime reporter sent to Europe to get the story of preparations for what would be World War II. McCrea is hilariously out of his depth, having no idea about anything that's going on, speaking nothing but English, and immediately getting completely distracted by an attractive woman involved with a peace group. Even so, he manages to stumble onto a Nazi conspiracy, and it becomes a first-rate paranoid conspiracy thriller. Hitchcock manages to be amazingly cynical and flippant about the oncoming war, mining it for great comedy. It's actually a hilarious movie as well as a supremely effective thriller. Hitch's great touch for comedy comes through but doesn't cut the tension at all. There are some great sequences, as when McCrea finds the bad guys in a windmill, and Hitchcock perfectly uses the wild geometry of the interior for a suspenseful spying scene, or the crash of a plane at the end. Just a magnificent film.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    American Graffiti.
    First time seeing it in a long while.
    Pretty good movie.

12. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    For sure. Unfortunately, this one opened so weak to begin with that there wasn't much word of mouth to go around. I'm guessing these are/will be cleaning up on DVD though. Sabotage just screams "Rainy day Red Box".

13. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    That's not something in the movie that is misleading, but the marketing campaign. I could understand if you meant the plot was misleading, which it intentionally was. That's one reason why I try not to watch trailers.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not saying the film was misleading, just the advertising campaign- both it and Sabotage were intentionally misrepresented by their ad campaigns, leading people to anticipate a certain type of movie, but delivering something very different. The Village is notorious for advertising a completely different genre altogether while Sabotage stayed vaguely within the same genre but presented something at opposite ends of that genre's spectrum from what it actually was.

15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    We're the Millers - decent comedy that did its job of entertaining. The acting wasn't that great, and the plot was predictable, but that's standard fare for a comedy. It's worth a rent.
    Don Jon - garbage. Skip it.
    Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - I didn't realize this was a prequel to "Clear and Present Danger" until I watched the bonus footage. With that said, it now makes sense why the movie felt like set up for a different movie while trying to find a storyline that was relevant for the current generation, but that storyline felt secondary to the setup of Jack Ryan as a person. At the end of the day, I’d say it was decent and worth a rent, but ultimately it felt like it was trying to be like Cruise’s Mission:Impossible movies.

16. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    X-Men: Days of Future Past

17. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Bad Santa finally showed up on Netflix. It is without a doubt the finest R-rated comedy of the 21st century, and perhaps the greatest heist comedy ever made. It combines a nearly perfect ensemble with by a wide margin the best performance of Billy Bob Thornton's career, up to Fargo at any rate. It is the Die Hard of black comedies, launching its own cinema sub genre, e.g. Horrible Bosses 1 and 2, We are the Millers and of course Bad Teacher.

18. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I liked Don Jon's story, in how it deconstructed that perfect goddess of a woman to reveal her to be superficial, highly aggravating, and desiring of lazy do-nothing boys to serve as pets at their own convenience. The best scene was the one in the store where he mentioned cleaning his own floors.
    Some others of note I've seen recently: Tiger Eyes. My curiosity was piqued seeing this was based on one of Judy Blume's more mature books (and directed by her son). It's a nice little story about a girl (Willa Holland) whose mother moves the family across the country to stay with relatives in photogenic Alamagordo, New Mexico.
    Jonathan Demme's remake of The Manchurian Candidate. I couldn't wait for this to end. I saw the original a while back but never was interested in this enough to check it out, until it came to Netflix streaming.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  19. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    X-Men: Days of Future Past

Oh how I love seeing movies that matter to me long after everyone else is done discussing them :(

I liked it plenty. Can't help but feel it would have done better to hew to the comic in some places instead of trying to 'go big' at every opportunity though.

And the JFK assassination Easter egg? Priceless.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    DarthTunick

DarthTunick likes this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    THANKS ERIK

22. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

It's also one of better Christmas-themed films ever made; happy to see you loved this film.

:D

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  23. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It is, and I do! [face_love] If this movie doesn't fill you with Christmas cheer, then nothing can or ever will.

DarthTunick likes this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ... I only found Bad Santa so-so. I wanted to love it, alas, as I love black comedies. I just didn't find it that funny for some reason. Just occasionally amusing.

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, I agree. It was extremely self-aware, and more or less took a deeper look at the "Jersey Shore" muscle-head stereotype.

And also Tony Danza. ****ing Tony Danza. [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.