main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i watched "joe" last night. some classic cage.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I watched Late Spring and Black Narcissus in a theater. I'll keep reading on it, but Late Spring wasn't that great. Sorry, I liked Tokyo Story, but the subtext was repeatedly dragged to the surface via dialogue in this film, which became distracting. But Black Narcissus still holds up, weird antiquated racial caricatures aside.

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Slender Thread. Sydney Pollack's debut feature, it stars Sidney Poitier as a college student volunteering at a crisis hotline, who has to respond to Anne Bancroft's caller, who has taken an overdose of sleeping pills. You've also got Telly Savalas as the director of the crisis center and Ed Asner as a detective looking for Bancroft (and Jason Wingreen, the voice of Boba Fett, in a decent-sized role), so it's a solid cast. It's extremely effective, as Poitier plays out the draining emotional drama of being sucked into this suicide attempt, and Bancroft plays out her troubles in flashbacks as she talks to Poitier. The film also spins out into the larger effort to save her -- the police, and also, surprisingly effectively, the phone company, performing the work to trace the call. Stirling Silliphant's script is top-notch tense human drama, and all the actors are fantastic. Definitely worth checking out.

4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Sister Ruth is more disturbing than any version of Hannibal Lecter I've seen on screen.

Bacon164 and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I've always thought this film was very underrated. I saw it in high school and remember loving it. But people rarely talk about it.

Havac likes this.
  6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Watched Sunshine on Leith on Sky Movies yesterday. It's a musical rom-com and normally neither of those genres appeal to me - closest I usually come to a musical is something like The Producers or Blazing Saddles. The film has its moments though but I think what cinched it is that I like the Proclaimers music and this is full of it. Not a bad film. I almost paid cinema money to see it when it was out here but I passed. Kinda sorry I did now. I might pick up the DVD in town tomorrow.

7. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    Rock Star on VH1. Yes, it's a cheesy movie, but I get sucked in every time.

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ We don't talk about that.

10. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Cornered. A war vet immediately after WWII sets out to find the Vichy collaborator responsible for killing his French Resistance wife. It's a total B movie but it's very effectively made, as he dives into this morass and intrigue trying to find Nazis in Buenos Aires. It came out in 1945, too, so it's a very, very immediate look at postwar fears of lurking Nazis. It's a solid revenge-thriller noir.

11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Sense and Sensibility (1995)

I have to admit I really enjoyed this movie. About 3/4 through the movie I was genuinely devastated, and though I sorta wish it stayed that way because I'm sick, it made the happy ending so much more rewarding. Fantastic characters, some very strong performances...excellent adaptation and a true classic.

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    36 Hours, 1964, James Garner & Eva Marie Saint. Decent suspense/drama about an American with D-Day info resisting Nazi interrogators. James "Scotty" Doohan has a quick cameo, and John "Sgt Schulz" Banner is unintentionally hilarious as a corrupt German guard.

13. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The To-Do List. An unfunny raunchy sex comedy with a slew of modern comedy actors playing their expected unfunny roles, although Rachel Bilson seems desperate to expand her appeal by playing a vulgar older sister. There's no such thing as innuendo and taboo in these kinds of movies anymore; I can only think of how certain words and references weren't even mentioned in the most raunchy mainstream movies of the '80s or even the daring mid-'90s. No wonder everyone is so desensitized, or maybe they've always been that way. I can imagine pseudo- trendy-feminist hypocrites I've known who get off on Aubrey Plaza and the like will consider this some kind of bold cutting edge movie. Anyway, it's set in 1993 for no apparent reason. As expected, it's full of anachronisms with the music, modern expressions, and emphasized references. "I got it on VHS." No one in 1993 referred to videotapes by the format.

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Timecrimes. Dubbed from the original Spanish. A nice, tight little time travel drama / thriller. Better than Looper, any day.

soitscometothis likes this.
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The Unsuspected (1947). My favorite Claude Rains film.

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Good review, Bobatron. I too hated The To Do List. It seemed like it could have been really funny, but it just . . . wasn't.

Oldboy (2003)

[​IMG]

I saw this movie last year on the big screen at a local arthouse theater; it was my first viewing. To say I was blown away would be a massive understatement. Caught it again on Blu-Ray; yes, I went home from the showing and put it on my list of movies to buy on Blu-Ray ASAP. It's just one of the strangest, most exciting, darkest, grimmest, most violent, most stylish films ever made. From a nearly three minute fight sequence done in a single shot to the brutally dark premise of a man imprisoned for fifteen years without any idea why to a gruesome sequence in sushi restaurant to the astonishingly harrowing climax, it's a film that simply must be seen. Choi Min-Sik was, as memory serves, my top male performance of last year and Park Chan-wook was my best director; I know Oldboy was in my top ten films, though it didn't get the number one spot. But if you haven't seen it, you absolutely really must. Great film. Highly recommended. **** stars.

CloneUncleOwen and DarthMane2 like this.
  17. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Inspired by Saintheart's Shakespeare thread...

Othello (1995) - A competent production buoyed by powerhouse performances from Fishburne and Branagh. - 7/10

18. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Great movie. Hitchcock would have loved it. Especially for that ending. Hammer fight scene is one of the best in the history of film, I think.

Anyway....

"We Are What We Are": Movies are starting to add up in my instant que, had to watch something. This fits in my category of films liked at festivals.

Good movie. Didn't blow me away. Well acted.

19. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
  20. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I've got that recorded off TCM. I'll be checking it out soon.

21. Jensaarai1219

Jensaarai1219 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I just watched sharknado fur the first time. It was everything I could have hoped for, even producing actual lols

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The sequel comes out this month too! :p

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It is one of the finest made films of that era. The dialogue is loaded and the visuals are well crafted. But, the best part is that the story is actually rather intelligent for a "golden age" production.

24. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I saw Claude Rains played a murderer and was just like, "Sold, recording."

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Horatio Hornblower, The Duel. First episode of the A&E miniseries from 1999. Some of the ship model fx shows that they didn't have a huge budget, but the stories and CS Forester's immortal characters carry the day.
    When I grow up, I want to be Captain Pellew.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.