main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Have you seen Braveheart, and if so, which one do you prefer? I ask because I vividly remember that heading into 1995 there was a lot of talk about the two competing Scottish epics, and early on the buzz was that Rob Roy was the Oscar bait and the one to beat. Of course we all know how that turned out. I actually didn't watch Rob Roy until 4-5 years ago and found it rather dull. Braveheart on the other hand is one of my all-time favorites. Perhaps not top-20, but certainly top-30. Bad history, but great storytelling.

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes : Excellent. Simply excellent. Without a doubt it surpasses it's predecessor by leaps and bounds. Simply one if not the best movies of this summer, which is a pleasant surprise in a summer lineup filed with so much drek. This movie deserves all the technical Oscars it might get nominated for and perhaps so much more.

4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Agh, double post.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Yes, I've seen Braveheart and wasn't really a big fan of the movie, good movie of course, but Rob Roy was alright, Neeson was great so was Roth.

But I do prefer Braveheart.

6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Rob Roy is indeed not a great movie, but it's punctuated with moments of Fight Club/Heat/Goodfellas level awesomeness.

Sarge and Darth_Invidious like this.
  7. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    My one abiding memory of Rob Roy is the foppish brilliance of Tim Roth.

Darth_Invidious and Sarge like this.
  8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Slap Shot, for the first time.

I shoulda watched this movie years ago.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Unlike most Robin Hoods, I have a British accent.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think that's kind of the problem with Men in Tights - in addition to Brooks just running out of steam by that point, for the most part it lives and dies as a direct retort to Prince of Thieves. Two mediocre films that work better in tandem, I guess is how I'd describe it.

Sarge likes this.
  11. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Actually, not really. Its more of a send up of Errol Flynn's Adventures of Robin Hood. The feast sequence in RH:MIT matches the same sequence in TARH almost shot for shot.

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The entire plot is structured around Prince of Thieves and most of the characters are loosely based on the ones in that film. I'm not saying there's not elements from other Robin Hood films, but c'mon.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I wasn't a fan of Prince of Thieves; I think that's why I enjoyed Men in Tights as much as I did.

But you've got a point.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    The Odd Life of Timothy Green

15. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I really got into Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves when it came out, but that excitement quickly faded away and I wouldn't admit it to myself for a long time. I bought the videotape and don't remember watching it much. Anyway I liked it because 1) it was the first such swashbuckling adventure movie I'd seen since maybe 1989, and being younger, two years was a long time. It was unexpectedly witty. The second reason was I got a STAR WARS-like boost of interest days before the release when I saw Alan Rickman on The Arsenio Hall Show with his Kenner action figure. The packaging, with the movie still or set photo and the little bubble to the side and the little oval with the name in it, looked just like SW packaging. To top it off, the cameo blew me away. When I saw Robin Hood: Men in Tights two years later in the theater, it felt uncomfortably embarrassing for Mel Brooks because there was not one real laugh during the movie.

16. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i saw a monster movie called godzilla vs. mogadishu

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Wake of the Red Witch. Adventure, skullduggery, and romance in the South Seas with John Wayne as a square rigger captain. It's nothing spectacular, but I thought it was fun.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Not to mention Kenner figures used repurposed Return of the Jedi molds for some of th figures and, most obviously, the Ewok Village-based tree set.

I don't believe I saw it in theaters, but Men in Tights was the last Brooks movie I saw that was genuinely funny / well regarded in my circle of friends. Everything from Dracula onwards, despite some moments, just fell flat.

That's not exactly the suggested scenario- Lockdown's references to those who hired them include references to Optimus Prime's creators (plural)- as well as the Knights backstory they interjected into this film where it's said these Knights were supposed to use ships like Lockdown's to explore the galaxy for those creators but they eventually rebelled (presumably leading to the known (convoluted) Cybertronian history established in the films so far)- though Prime apparently recalls very little, if any, of this history.

Add to that the opening prologue which shows these creators seeding Earth with the transformium where we can clearly see their hand is organic (though we don't see the rest of them).

All of which adds up not to Unicron, but rather the Quintessons (or whatever they may ultimately call their movieverse incarnation), who, in the G1 cartoon mythology, were the ones who created the Cybertronians as their slaves (Autobots for general use, Decepticons for their military) before they revolted and freed themselves.

(I believe the G1 comic mythology reworks them as being a race that enslaved the Cybertronians but that did not build them [as they were birthed when Primus sacrificed his ability to transform his corporeal form from a planet])

Now, that could still be leading to Unicron eventually, though- in G1 cartoon, IIRC, the Quintessons built Unicron as a way of attacking Cybertron (whereas the comicverse is the corporeal form of Unicron's chaos to Primus's order).

Strangely enough, the Quintessons would probably fit very well into the Bayformers design aesthetic since they have all those tendrils and semi-organic elements. So, naturally, I think we can assume they'll look completely different and just leave the weird tendrils and organic elements to the all-mechanical main characters... sigh...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    Out of the Furnace Starring Christian Bale

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I love that movie.

Source Code. Pretty good. I liked the way it wasn't content on just sitting on the premise of going back to relive eight minutes to find a criminal, but expanded to be about finding out what the program itself was, and trying to push the boundaries of what was possible with the technology. Gyllenhaal's confusion and attempts to get any information at all about what the hell was actually happening really helped make what could have been a straightforward action-thriller unique, creating a sort of paranoid nightmare mystery. And when Gyllenhaal solved the crime only an hour into the movie, I was excited that it would be going in further directions to really explore the technology and the implications of his situation in a way that was very appropriate for sci-fi. And it was pretty great, and we got a good ending . . . and then it kept going and that was an unfortunate decision, because it's just too have-it-all happy. I think a slightly more bittersweet ending would have been preferable. And it's also deeply problematic that the film isn't willing to even tackle the issue that in this reality he's now basically killed the guy who was there and is creepily inhabiting his body to woo his girlfriend under false pretenses. It's really ****ed up when you give any of it even the slightest bit of thought. But up until then, it was a really good sci-fi action thriller.

jp-30 and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  21. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Snowpiercer. Everyone needs to go see this film. It was fantastic.

Coruscant and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  22. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, Brooks had clearly lost a few MPH off of his fastball by then, but I think your second point is also key. Just as he was at least four years too late with Space Balls (a movie I like, but still), I'm not exactly sure Robin Hood was the ripest target he could've chosen. Sure, it was only two years after Prince of Thieves, but doing a direct sendup like that felt more like a Zucker/Abrahams kind of thing.

The typical criticisms of Prince of Thieves are certainly valid, but I love it anyway. I'll take it over Ridley Scott's joyless slog any day.

Yeah, it's like %90 recycled from ROTJ and DC Super Powers. I guess the thinking was, "Kids that played with those are teenagers now and won't recognize that Friar Tuck is essentially a Gamorrean Guard with a new head and a robe.". You can pick up the figures, carded, on eBay for around $7-10 each. The card backs are pretty nifty in that classic Kenner style, with a nice photo of the character. A small, inexpensive line to collect, if you're so inclined.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Night Moves (2013)

[​IMG]
    Troubled people; a troubled mission

This newest film from Kelly Reichardt follows three radical environmentalists, played by Jesse Eisenberg, Dakota Fanning and Peter Sarsgaard, as they plot to blow up a dam as an act of protest. It's a film that marries the thriller and the character study really, really well. There are moments that are very suspenseful, but it really is the characters that make the film work. I first saw the "no-longer-child" version of Dakota Fanning last year in The Motel Life and she's quite good in both that film and this one. There's still something of the distinctiveness she had as a young child; at the same time, she's very natural, minimal and real - she doesn't seem at all like a "movie star." Eisenberg is really excellent; he's an actor who gets dinged for being the same in every role, but watch him here and you'll see that he's more than capable of giving a deeply emotional, profoundly great performance without any of the tics that he sometimes uses in his schtick. Sarsgaard is, unfortunately, underused, but he's always a pleasure to watch. The scripting is really wonderful; the three mains are all different from each other in really obvious ways, but they're not cardboard stereotypes. You can generally know how the characters will react to different events and to each other, but just when you're getting really comfortable about it, one of them will act in a way that's surprising. They feel absolutely real, in other words. And a word for James Le Gros, who shows up in a nice, very small role as a feed store clerk; he proves the "no small parts" cliche to be true by making the character one of the most memorable parts of the film. All in all, it's a moody, methodical, gripping and bleak film. The ending will be divisive, I suppose, but for me it's perfect. It fits right in with Reichardt's great theme, that of being directionless, lost, wandering, in both the physical and the emotional senses. It may take you a bit to adjust, or readjust, to the rhythms of Reichardt; I had some difficulty for the first twenty to thirty minutes myself, but once you let her take control, you're in for greatness. Great film. Highly recommended. **** stars.

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Did you see the The Runaways, Rogue, about the band of the same name? That's also pretty much a no-longer-child performance by Fanning, and she really fit the role well. Of course, Michael Shannon stole the entire movie, but he's ****ing Michael Shannon. :p

I'll give her credit, she's avoided most of the pitfalls of child actors so far. Perhaps she's not as prolific as she was circa I Am Sam and War of the Worlds, but she's still getting decent work.

25. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm in the middle of Horrible Bosses because there's a thunderstorm and I unplugged the TV. I'm trying to watch some of these goofy raunchy comedies I've avoided for the last several years just out of curiosity like Wedding Crashers, Due Date, The Heat, and soon The Hangover, maybe Superbad, etc. By not seeing a lot of these movies, I'm completely unfamiliar with a whole bunch of actors. One thing I've noticed about a lot of these modern movies is there is lots of ad-libbing or just a certain babbling ad-libbing style as if everyone is trying to deliver lines like Robin Williams use to, and the references and jokes just go too far. They'll make a reference to something, like in this movie the differences between Throw Mama from the Train and Strangers on a Train, and I get the reference, but they'll explain it for those people in the audience who might not get it. That just ruins the comedy.
    I want to elaborate on my Under the Skin post with major spoilers of sorts, but I can't find the spoiler tag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.