main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  2. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) 8/10. Great movie. A true horror classic.
    A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) 6/10 Nowhere near as good as the original. A very bland movie with a stupid back story.

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I did a three-movie Films Where Colin Farrell Dies in the End marathon:

Fright Night
    In Bruges
    London Boulevard

Frank T. likes this.
  4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    he didn't necessarily die at the end of in bruges.

5. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Fright Night and PATTON

Humperdink kicks ass

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Was she aware that it's actually a spoof of romantic comedies and not an actual romantic comedy?

Love is Strange (2014)

[​IMG]

I was really looking forward to this movie. It’s an indie drama that’s been getting a lot of raves and the central casting of John Lithgow and Alfred Molina as an aging gay couple dealing with hardship seemed like it could be really great. Unfortunately, I was incredibly disappointed by the film. Lithgow and Molina are both as good as you expect, but the script is clunky, filled with stupid coincidences, sloppy characterization. And unfortunately the rest of the cast isn’t up to snuff. Marisa Tomei is fine in a supporting role, but the guy playing her husband, Darren Burrows, gives one of the worst performances I’ve seen in a theater in a few years probably, even worse than Wagner Moura’s dreadful turn in Elysium. And it doesn’t help when he’s yelling horrible lines like, “When someone your age steals something, it’s usually because he’s into drugs” at his son. And the son . . . oh, God. That would be Charlie Tahan and he’s also brutally awful. Which is doubly unfortunate since director Ira Sachs decides to give him, not one, but two really protracted “powerfully dramatic” moments near the end. In the first, he does what is, I am not exaggerating, the absolute worst crying I have ever seen on film. This is the kind of fake crying that you’re likely to see on the playground; I expect better from a gosh-darn movie. And Sachs decides to actually end the movie on a scene with Tahan instead of, oh, I don’t know, the MAIN CHARACTERS, ie. The ONLY ONES I GIVE A CRAP ABOUT! The heck?! Oh, did I mention that the main conflict of the film is resolved when Alfred Molina just happens to sit down at a party next to a guy who just happens to have exactly what Molina needs in order to fix ALL THE PROBLEMS IN THE MOVIE. The guy literally says, “Well, interestingly, I just happen to have in my pocket . . .” Oh, and this guy, he’s an ARCHAEOLOGIST. Yeah, **** you too, movie.

All of this is really too bad; Molina and Lithgow both give really strong, very minimal performances. When they’re together, they have real chemistry and make you really believe in the history of their shared lives together. Unfortunately, the mechanic of the story keeps them apart for fully three-quarters of the movie and neither of them can be particularly compelling in their separate story threads, surrounded as they are by pretty rotten actors. There’s a late scene in the film when the two, reunited at last, share a drink at a bar; it’s sharply written, sweet, funny and really charming and melancholy. It’s a scene so good that it just made me even angrier at the rest of the movie. Yeah, there’s a great, great movie in here, but this certainly isn’t it. This is two really fine central performances struggling against an absolute tidal wave of crap: crap script, crap direction, crap performances from everyone else. What a travesty. This is a movie that I strongly recommended against seeing. 1 ½ stars.

tl;dr – Lithgow and Molina are reserved and wonderful in this quiet drama, but the script is contrived and loaded with horrible dialogue and the supporting cast is full of genuinely dreadful performances. 1 ½ stars.

More Movie Reviews!

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

That's an....interesting double feature.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You're a man that holds a grudge, aren't you? ;)

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You're a man that holds a grudge, aren't you? ;)

10. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    thing is, it's more like a spoof of a spoof of a romantic comedy. i gave up at or around the point that jibbidajoobadooba probably did. bad.

11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Untraceable. Altogether very dull.

12. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    You know your You've Got Mail spoof is in deep trouble when it's even less funny than You've Got Mail.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  13. Allana_Rey

Sep 2, 2012
    Halloween: Resurrection (2002) 4/10. A very boring movie. The worst in the series. Defiantly not a proper ending to the original series.

14. Allana_Rey

Sep 2, 2012
    Double post.

15. Allana_Rey

Sep 2, 2012
    Triple post

16. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    When I tell you the movie I watched last night is all about, you'll say "Yeah, that's the kind of film DantheJedi would watch....", and well, I'll just get right to it.

It's a movie called The Favorite, about a French girl in the early 19th Century who is kidnapped by pirates and sold into the harem of the Turkish Ottoman Sultan, where she gets involved in court politics and whatnot. F. Murray Abraham played the Sultan, and Maud Adams was the woman who was in charge of all the girls in the harem. They were probably the only recognizable name actors in this movie, which isn't saying much.

Also, I remember watching a little bit of this years ago on HBO or Cinemax, but I didn't have the title then (obviously), all I could remember from the part I watched was a young boy accused of being a thief getting his hand (rather gruesomely) cut off, and when that part came up, I was like, "So this is that film!".

17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Total Recall (1990)

18. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I was a fan of that film at the time. The blood red, the claustrophobic sets without windows, the bizarre violence, which goes directly against its themes of dreams, deception, deceit. I watched it again a few years ago however and was particularly bored with the final act, when the film just throws its hands in the air and becomes a dumb action movie.

tom and jp-30 like this.
  19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    The Last Stand - This was an entertaining movie but oh my god, is Johnny Knoxville a bad actor, can't take him seriously

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Sharpe's Company. Bad Things (TM) need to happen to Sgt Hakeswill. What a filthy piece of sadistic pig****. Sharpe seems to be a little more mellow now that he's the father of a bouncing baby girl.

21. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The Expendables 3

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  23. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I watched Space Station '76. I kind of liked it.
    I watched Godzilla from this year. That was actually kind of neat with strong visuals and score. One of my complaints about action movies in recent years is they lack noteworthy scores.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  24. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    What's not to love about
    Di-di-duh-duh-di-di-duh-duh-di-di-duh-duh-di-di-duh-duh-
    BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM
    De-di-di-duh-duh-di-di-duh-duh-di-di-duh-duh-di-di-duh-duh
    BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM
    ?

Anyway I just watched Jodorowsky's Dune. My mind is a little blown, Jodorowsky is as mad as I expected and his vision for Dune was just amazing. A lot of his ideas for the film were nothing to do with Herbert's plot, but the same was true for the Lynch version we ended up with. One of the most intense documentaries I've seen in a long time. If you love scifi and love (or hate) Dune, you should probably see this.

25. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    X-Men: Days of Future Past

(Not a review but an observation *spoilers*...

Doesn't this movie not work at all if you don't have either Magneto or Mystique there at the school when Logan wakes up in the present? The whole point of the movie is that people are not shackled to destinies that cannot be avoided. We are supposed to have faith in these characters that they could be redeemed and choose a more righteous path. In the end by their omission from that final scene we are lead to believe that they don't make the right choice presumably so you could have them back as villains in a sequel. And that this movie which was supposed to be about redemption is just another comic book film about nothing. )

26. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Iron Man 3.

Yes, dp4m, Iron Man 3. I owe you an apology - it's really not bad atall. First time I've watched it since it first came out, and I'd give it a solid 7/10. Iron Man 2, however, is still anticlimactic- save for the Monaco Grand Prix.

Drac39 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.