main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I watched the Town for the first time. Good Movie but it makes it harder for me to take Affleck serious as Batman.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I liked that movie better when it was called Heat.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  4. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    'Chaplin'

Richard Attenborough's biography of Charlie Chaplin falls prey to a lot of the melodrama and tabloidisms that plaque biography films. However I can't really fault it too much because aside from it's script everything else is pitch perfect. It's well directed, has an amazing cast topped off by Robert Downey Jr's best performance, but really my favorite thing about this film is it's musical score by John Barry. The most effective sequence in the film is the pre credits sequence of Chaplin applying his tramp make-up, the score and how Attenborough stages it gives me chills.

I think in the hands of lesser talents this film could have been a disaster but it's entertaining and well performed. You won't learn anything new about Chaplin or have a greater appreciation of his artistry but the film has an undeniable power to it. It's success is assured by the last sequence showcasing Downey Jr reenacting Chaplin's receiving an honorary Academy Award over a montage of clips from Chaplin's films. I cannot tell what is Downey and what is the real Chaplin, that's the highest praise you can give a film like this

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  5. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Double post, move along

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Horrible Bosses 2... despite having antagonists (Christoph Waltz, Chris Pine) that were less interesting than Farrell and Spacey in the original, and a questionable sexually-themed joke during the final act, this was still an entertaining, serviceable sequel. The trio of Bateman/Sudeikis/Day have fine chemistry, and Aniston and Foxx's characters remain interesting. *** out of ****.

7. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Blended
    It was a newer one with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore.
    I didn't think I would enjoy it much but I was hysterical for about half of the movie. It was very good. 4.5/5 stars

8. burrisjedimaster1

Jul 31, 2002
    Cruel Intentions

9. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    The Fifth Element:
    Not the terrible film I remember seeing in the late 90s at all... I was amazed at how spectacular it looked, Gilliam or Jodorowski couldn't have made it more pleasurable to look at. The plot isn't terribly important, it's your classic 40s American action yarn or 60s Japanese space adventure type stuff (or 80s 2000AD strip), but the execution is marvellous. I think when I first saw it I wanted some hard SF and got turned off by the camp, but when viewed as a comedy it's great. It kind of bridges the styles and humours of Brazil and Idiocracy, with a healthy dose of Dredd, Doctor Who, Dune and Star Wars chucked in. Speaking of Doctor Who, blimey Moffat must love the ending of this film.

12/10 Dark Stars.

-Jedi Joe- and tom like this.
  10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    it's also really evocative of the harry canyon segment in the 80's animated film, heavy metal.

Ender Sai likes this.
  11. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997) 8/10

12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Yes! Was Heavy Metal 2000 any good?

I just rewatched Quantum of Solace. Might be favourite Craig 007 film.

13. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I just checked and it's the same art guy for both projects, Jean 'Moebius' Giraud. Have you seen Jodorowski's Dune?

14. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Really? You mean didn't enjoy watching Milla Jovovich wearing, well, not very much for 126 mins? [face_whistling]

15. burrisjedimaster1

Jul 31, 2002
  16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i haven't seen heavy metal 2000 or jodorowsky's dune. i've heard dubious things about the former and the latter is definitely on my "to-watch" list.

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Interstellar... meh

18. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    It really does seem like I should skip Interstellar altogether, eh?

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    See it in IMAX. Also, beer should be involved.

20. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Yeah you can see Moebius elements from his Heavy Metal days in a lot of his later work in comics and movies.

Obligatory... Everyone should see Jodorowsky's Dune

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Mockingjay Part 1. Rubble....lots and lots of rubble. And Katniss being sad.

Coruscant likes this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Picture of Dorian Grey, 1945. Meh. Lots of people I didn't like doing stuff I didn't care about. The "horrifying monster" painting looked like a Mad Magazine parody of a horror film.

23. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Jurassic Park

Legolas Skywalker likes this.
  24. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    'Man of Steel', rewatched it for the first time since the theaters. I really fail to see how this film has such power to incite passions on either end of the spectrum. It's really just blah.

V-2 likes this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    If you value your hearing, yes.

26. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    No. I think it has enough good to outweigh some of it;s lesser moments. It's definitely Nolan's weakest film however

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.