main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  2. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Last Waltz (1978) – Martin Scorsese

[​IMG]

I absolutely loved getting to see this movie, which I’d never seen before, on the big screen at a local theater. I confess, I don’t even have the slightest idea why it screened for two days at the local arthouse; there’s usually some reason for these classic screenings, but I remain ignorant in this case. Not that I care, because the film was so immersive, so intensely great that I was just dazzled for the entire nearly two hour running time. The film captures an extensive portion of the farewell concert of the Band and the roster of guests is incredibly impressive, too impressive really to even attempt to name the standouts. And now I’ll name the standouts: Ronnie Hawkins’ insane version of Who Do You Love?; Clapton’s uber-cool rendition of Further On Up the Road; The Staple Singers’ gospelly rendition of The Weight; basically every single thing Levon Helm does – his drumming seems to essentially be a rhythmic seizure. But it’s ridiculous to keep talking about the music. Scorsese wisely realizes that the best parts of a music documentary is the music, so he keeps the talking head/back-stage interviews to a bare minimum. Very nearly the entire running time is just wonderful, entertaining, high-energy music and this may now be my favorite music documentary. Actually I’m pretty sure it is. There are a couple of missteps; Neil Diamond is weirdly out of place and Joni Mitchell, an artist I typically love, is strangely mediocre. But those are minor complaints and not serious enough to keep this film from being a great one. It captures a load of legends at the height or near the height of their powers and the music almost never stops. What a masterpiece. Highly recommended. 4 stars.

tl;dr – astoundingly great concert film focuses on the music, instead of back-stage drama, and with this roster of legends and this set of songs, that’s the right decision. 4 stars.

More Movie Reviews!

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The Seventh Seal

I found it exceedingly dull and pointless, but that's probably because I have absolutely no interest in the subject matter. Obviously this wasn't intended for someone like me, but I didn't know what the movie was about before I watched it.

6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Watched the Doctor Strange animated movie again on the way home; as a fan of the good Doctor, I still dig it.

7. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Robocop (2014)

It's dull, with no personality or identity, and has little to say; what little it does say wasn't done in a way that was worth making or watching.

It's not the worst thing ever, it doesn't make a ton of obvious mistakes because it doesn't try to do anything, but there's very little good to say about it.

It's a movie that does nothing, it's a do-nothing movie.

I mean, it's not even close to entertaining, not even the action. It's not even about turning off your brain, your brain is irrelevant because it doesn't do anything that inspires or discourages thought, nor does it provide any mindless excitement or thrills. It doesn't even work as a popcorn movie, it doesn't work as entertainment in any way. It's as dull as Robocop's personality once they turn off his emotions.

V-2 and Juke Skywalker like this.
  8. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I rewatched Star Trek Into Darkness. I want to really like these movies, I want to get swept up by the score and see a franchise succeed, but several things bug me. No need to go into them.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Spider-Man (2002) - 8/10
    Spider-Man 2 (2004) - 9/10
    Spider-Man 3 (2006) - 6/10

I am still disappointed Sam Raimi never got to make Spider-Man 4. Sony tried to push him to hard so he left, causing them to freak out and push out a pointless reboot that didn't even accomplish what it was set out to do. I am so glad Spider-Man is heading to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I'm not the biggest fan of the MCU but I'm sure they will put more effort in the their Spider-Man films than most of the rest.

CIS Droid and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Star Trek: First Contact

11. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    It's funny, the recent deal between Sony and Marvel-Disney gave me the itch to do my own Raimiverse Spidey marathon. I haven't watched 1 & 2 since right around when 3 was released, and I've only seen 3 that one time. Hoping to do this in the next week or two. Should be interesting.

Soldier (1998) - For a brief moment this long forgotten Universal Soldier meets Starship Troopers meets Shane actioner flirts with awesomeness, but it ultimately falls victim to sloppy execution. - 5/10

Big Hero 6 (2014) - After a promising start it was a little disappointing that it more or less became another "super hero" movie (I wasn't aware of its comic book origins going in). However despite how tired the genre has become, like many of its comic book contemporaries, the execution is good; particularly Baymax, who is one the best "new" characters I've seen in a film in ages. - 6.5/10

12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Madagascar (2005): Like the other movies in the series, the penguins were the funniest.

13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

14. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    Birdman or (The Virtue of Unexpected Ignorance) (2014) - 10/10

15. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Shakespeare in Love

First viewing. I absolutely loved it, it was so rousing and intensely passionate, it completely swept me away, just like the supporting characters in the movie were swept away by the play. Shakespeare's work was used surprisingly well, like the balcony scene, the disguises, the sword fights, a play within a movie, etc; it was all very clever. I thought the sex scenes were done about as well as I've ever seen; passionate yet sweet, and despite the nudity it never comes off as vulgar. It's all so wonderfully crafted that I get the notion that the performance of the actors almost doesn't matter (just like the play in the movie), it's that good. It was so good I felt like watching it again right away, and I never do that. (I didn't actually watch it again, it was getting late, but I was genuinely worked up)

Now, if only AOTC and ROTS could have been anywhere near this good...

Sarge and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It's been a long time since I watched that one but I enjoyed it.

17. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Mata Hari

Garbo is amazing, I feel bad about her fate.

Birdman

Great movie, I love Emma Stone, Naomi Watts and Edward Norton's performance.

I still think Joseph Fiennes performed better than Paltrow in that one.

18. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Agreed, Fiennes rocked, as usual.

Garbo is my favorite classic Hollywood actress, but I don't think Mata Hari is particularly good, it's a whole lot of nonsense.

19. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Her performance was good, the movie was ok in my eyes, of course they whitewashed Mata Hari too much.

My favorite ones are her Queen Christina and Anna Karenina.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Calvary There was one ****ing horse and only for like five ****ing minutes!

Alternate review: this is the most Irish movie ever. I liked it.

21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Robocop (1987) - Love this movie, better than that piece of garbage remake

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I watched this movie last year and wrote the following review. I probably posted it here in this thread when I did, but a rewatch has made me drag up the review again for a repost. I might just point out that I watched the "Fade to White" version of the film this time; it's exactly the same film, except that over the course of the film, it slowly fades out the colors until the film is entirely in black and white. It's the way Chan-wook wanted it, but it wasn't released that way theatrically, so he put it on the Blu-Ray. It's a visually wonderful movie already and the thematic resonance of the colors black and white in the film are already pretty clear. I'd recommend the Fade to White version; it's even more beautiful than the theatrical release. As to everything else, I stand by my below review.

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (2005) – Park Chan-wook

[​IMG]

Well, I’m wrapping up Chan-wook’s Vengeance Trilogy with this film. After Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Oldboy, both of which I gave four stars, I’m looking forward to seeing what I hope will be an intriguing twist on the revenge genre: a female centered film. Well, it doesn’t top Oldboy, which is easily the best of the trio, but it’s brilliant in its own way. The film is kind of like a high school reunion or something. Practically every major player in Oldboy and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance appears in this film, which is a lot of fun. The film is strange, of course, but it isn’t as gonzo and energetic as Oldboy, nor as restrained and classically done as Mr. Vengeance.

Well, anyway, it’s the story of a woman being released after being imprisoned for thirteen years after pleading guilty to a crime she didn’t commit, a particularly vile crime, the kidnapping and brutal murder of a six year old child. That’s right – it’s the one repulsive, horrible, disturbing thing that wasn’t in Oldboy: child murder. Thanks. Thanks a lot. Anyway, as the film progresses we’ll discover why she plead guilty and watch as her carefully plotted plan for vengeance goes awry in genuinely surprising ways. It’s a cleverly plotted film, and like the other films in the trilogy, it’s a film that takes really interesting hairpin turns, typically at just the moment you think you see where the film is going. The film is extremely dark, grim and disturbing. Chan-wook’s direction remains compelling and there are plenty of the strange, surprising touches that one gets in his films. It’s also a film with a surprising spiritual element; neither of the other films really got into that area, suffice that one incredibly heartbreaking prayer scene in Oldboy, but much of this film is taken up with the idea of the soul and the paths that lead it to either darkness or light. The supporting cast is really great. Choi Min-sik is very good in a surprisingly small role as the villain of the film; I wished he’d gotten more to do, but admittedly what he does is really phenomenal and totally different from his work in Oldboy. And I haven’t mentioned Lee Young-ae, who is incredibly great as the main character; she has to play her character at some very different points in her emotional journey and nails them all perfectly.

I watched it in one room while a friend was in the house doing other things. When I left the room, she said, “That sounded like the most horrible movie in history.” She meant horrible not as in poor quality; she meant it as in horrifying and disturbing. Well, not in history, but she’s definitely on the right track. There’s a scene here that, without spoiling, I can tell you is the equal of anything in the other two films, including the horrific climax of Oldboy. But, of course, it’s a masterpiece. I may eventually have to watch everything Chan-wook has done, frankly, even though Stoker was a disappointment. Buyer beware; inasmuch as my highly recommended films are essentially films I think everyone should watch, this one comes with a content warning. The bloody gore is less here than in the other two films, but that doesn’t diminish the incredible emotional impact. Not a date movie, but one you should see. Highly recommended. 4 stars.

tl;dr – a worthy completion to the director’s three-film exploration of revenge; dark, disturbing, merciless, but also stylish, brilliantly acted and deeply emotional. 4 stars.

More Movie Reviews!

23. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    Predator (1987) - 8/10
    Predator 2 (1990) - 6/10
    Predators (2010) - 7/10

Look at me mixing up the words. It should be "Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)".

24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Twelve Monkeys. Years since I last saw this one, still brilliant, imo.

V-2 likes this.
  25. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.