main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Edge of Tomorrow - Groundhog Day meets Independence Day. I enjoyed the first half. Fell off a bit in the second half but would give a modest recommendation. Way better than that Oblivion turd.

2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Saw Mad Max: Fury Road tonight and wow was it enjoyable.....one of the more intense movies I've seen in some time and absolutely a movie that should be seen on the big screen.

3. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    With Farrell/Bullseye, it was less his performance and more the tone of the character. When we first meet him, he's playing darts in a pub as House of Pain's "Top O' the Mornin' to ya" is playing. I'm still aching from the full-body cringe. Then he kills a guy with paperclip darts. It's all just too hammy IMO, even by 2003 standards. On the flip side, his counterpart in crime Michael Clarke Duncan seems to think they're doing The Godfather. I wouldn't say Duncan is better--though I do think he's quite good here in an underwritten role--but at least for me he felt dangerous where Bullseye felt silly in a Schumacheresque way. But at least he had a handle on the character. Affleck never really managed to find Murdock, and Garner seemed to shrink on the big stage.

But I'm with you on Ferrell in Saving Mr. Banks. He's the heart and soul of the movie, and gives its best performance IMO. Quite an accomplishment with the likes of Hanks, Thompson and Giamatti around.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  4. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    In Theaters: Avengers Age of Ultron
    at home: The Road Warrior (rewatching the movies before I go to see Fury Road this Friday)

5. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Finally saw Avengers: AOU. Went in with lower expectations based on word of mouth. But I enjoyed it very much. The plan was to sneak into Mad Max after this, but I had really bad IMAX 3D headache.

6. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    Big Hero 6--I wanted to cry so many times!

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Brazil (1985).

The first time I watched Brazil I fell in love with it. It's the right sort of pessimistic, incredibly dark, highly stylized, and yes, incredibly funny, film to precisely win me over, which it did; though I admit there was some luck in that I was never subjected to the theatrical cut. The second time I watched Brazil I decided it was one of my favorite movies of all time. The subsequent instances where I watched Brazil I really wished I could watch it in a better quality than the admirable but incredibly dicey Criterion DVD release, which didn't even have enhanced widescreen. So this time I watched Brazil on Criterion's blu-ray transfer from 2012, and I fell in love all over again. Who says you can't go home?

The proper ending to the movie, that's who.

V-2 and tom like this.
  8. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) - I've never seen such relentless spectacle. It's a total carnage ballet. And yet despite its pedal to the metal pace and bare bones plot, it somehow gains enough emotional purchase by the end to give it all some meaning. To my complete surprise, the hype is justified. - 8/10

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Sound City- After all the raves about this documentary by Dave Grohl, it'd long been in my to-do list. After the fantastic Sonic Highways series Grohl did, catching this became a higher priority. And, given that tonight the Foos will be the final band to perform on Lettermen, it made sense to finally watch it.

And, yeah, it's pretty great. The artists that came through such an unassuming place and the records recorded there are pretty amazing- but, as Dave himself points out in the film, even after all the rock history of the place (and the very rare mixing board the documentary centers around) it evolves into a story of the old and new, the analog and the digital and that shift has (and hasn't) changed things. It's quite interesting.

So, yeah, definitely worth checking out (especially if you liked SH- I'm fine with Grohl making every rock (or music in general) documentary from now on).

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    No, that's another one! I also need to see The Guard, John Michael McDonagh's last film. He's Martin McDonagh's brother. Somehow they'd both slipped by me until I saw Calvary last year and now I just really need to get to their other stuff.

Taken 3 (2015) – Olivier Megaton

[​IMG]
    The Taken franchise: keeping Liam Neeson in giant stuffed bears and wine for almost ten years.

I mean, what is there to say? Neeson just keeps wasting himself in these brain-dead, incoherent messes. Dougray Scott, also a fine actor, decides to join in on being utterly wasted. Maggie Grace still sucks as an actress. Forrest Whittaker decides that if he can shove enough tics in, he’ll be able to make his utterly forgettable character register and he’ll prove that he’s some kind of method actor or something. Megaton’s direction is brutally bad; the action scenes are just incoherent, deafening blurs. And, oh, yes, there’s a pregnancy subplot shoved in here that is one of the dumbest things I’ve seen in a really long time. God, that last scene of Neeson & Grace is just brutally terrible. Well, at least we’re set up for T4ken (and you know that’s what they’ll call it): it’ll be the grandkid that goes missing, right? Oh, also missing from T4ken? Me. Warned against. 1 star.

tl;dr – another in a string of disappointing, stupid action thrillers from Neeson; the drama is as dreadful as expected, but even the action sequences fail to engage. 1 star.

More Movie Reviews!

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  11. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    This 3rd quarter transformation by Neeson into a cash-grabbing action hero is head scratching. Don't get me wrong, I like the genre, and he's done some good work in this post-Taken era of his career (I particularly like The Grey), but not only are his efforts increasingly bad of late, he's totally eschewed straight drama. I do see that he's doing a Scorsese film at the moment, though.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, word is that he said in some interview that he's going to stop with the action movies soon. I mean, the action genre can be excellent, of course, and some of Neeson's late career stuff has bumped up against that. You mention The Grey and the first Taken has a lot of good stuff. And I particularly enjoyed Non-Stop, which was much more of a mystery-thriller than an action movie. But, yeah, it is pretty sad, taken in total. We can only hope that the rumor of his retiring from the genre is true.

13. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Ironically, he was considered for James Bond at some point, but turned it down because he allegedly didn't want to do action movies.

As for the Taken sequels, maybe they're still made because audiences are quite taken with them. :p

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I said GOOD DAY SIR

15. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    A Walk Among Tombstones another gem by Liam Neeson. This one started out interesting and held my interest. But quickly dissolved into garbage.

16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Mad Max: Fury Road

very good film. This may be out of left field, but if they make another, I would love to see Max have a run in with a Northern Tribe and meet the older and wiser feral kid. As much as I like seeing Max in the wasteland, I hope that he somehow gets more humanity back in his old age because it lies below the surface and it seems to pop up when he is helping people.

17. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Invincible Armor - but LOL the bad guy's black hair is showing under the white wig.
    and

Hitman in the Hand of Buddha - that was interesting.

I'm beginning to see a lot of the same character actors in these Kung Fu films too.

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Rear Window (1954).

It's ****ing Rear Window.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Sarge like this.
  19. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Mad Max: Fury Road: Ridiculous. In every conceivably fantastic way imaginable. A refreshing change of pace from the lackluster, CG laden "blockbusters" that now dominate the summer cinematic landscape. What a lovely, lovely experience.

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Vertigo (1958).

According to Wikipedia, this is Hitchcock's "most personal" film. Man, Alfred's dating life was screwed up.

Incidentally I got a five movie Hitchcock box set, hence the two in a row. I might even follow up with North by Northwest, I'm kind of on a roll.

soitscometothis and Bacon164 like this.
  21. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Hey Arnold: The Jungle Movie.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    North by Northwest (1959).

There is no George Kaplan of the Moon, really. Matter of fact it's all Kaplan.

23. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, I read that too. Obviously the clock is ticking on him anyway, and unlike Arnold and Sly, I think Neeson can slide right back into drama and work as long as he chooses to. I could even see him snagging some Oscar noms if he can find the right projects. Then again I could see him pulling a Michael Caine/Morgan Freeman where he says yes to every offer to come in and class up popcorn flicks as the avuncular sage. That's a fate I hope he's spared.

Yeah, that one seemed to have some potential early on, but it eventually collapses under genre clichés and questionable choices. But at least Neeson gets to do a little acting in it.

24. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Avengers: Age of Ultron.

25. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    American Beauty.

Good lord, that's a fine piece of film. 1999 was such a good year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rogue1-and-a-half and tom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.