main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    A Liar's Autobiography (2012).

Graham Chapman's something of a personal flawed hero - as I'm a Python fan, and as there's something of a dearth of, as he would say, "great raging pouffe[s], but butch one[s], with pipe[s]," in the public eye, it was a bit inevitable. So I rather enjoyed this lukewarmly regarded adaptation of his non-autobiography; the irreconcilable differences in the animated styles go well with the original book's rather hodgepodge construction. There are times where it dips a bit too deeply in its own rebellious attitude - the whole film is a tick too hung up on being confrontational in its sheer queerness, and I can't tell if it wants me to be scandalized (A goal at which it fails utterly). More poignant are the visual depictions of Chapman's struggles with alcohol and tobacco addiction - one sequence in particular apes several Hitchcock scenes to drive the point of the sheer paranoia these dependencies induce home. In any case, it's a more solid watch than imdb reviews would tend to indicate. I suspect most folks went in expecting a more straightforward autobiography, or something more legitimately Pythonesque as opposed to referencing Python routines to make points about mental states. Go in with no such misconceptions, and you'll be fine.

And yes, part of the selection process was due to today's lovely rule change news. Some celebrate with parties, I celebrate with cheap port and a movie about a Python. C'est la vie.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    The Abominable Snowman 1957.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Poltergeist (1982)

[​IMG]
    First off, skip the remake. Just do yourself a favor and skip it, it’s so unbelievably mediocre and not scary in the slightest. It’s not startling and visually imaginative like the original is. This is the first time I’ve ever seen it, and I think it still holds up remarkably well.

The Fog of War (2003)

[​IMG]
    Riveting documentary on war throughout the 20th century, and how it has affected our leaders. It’s an intimate interview with Robert S. McNamara who offers his own insight and his struggles. The imagery is very powerful. It’s one of the best documentaries I’ve ever seen.

4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I have fuzzy memories of my step sisters watching it on TV, but as it didn't feature space ships or ninjas (and I must not have seen Diane Lane), I wasn't interested. Been spinning the soundtrack the last few days. Especially this. You've gotta love Steinman's lyrics. They're absolutely ridiculous, yet hit the emotional mark with unparalleled precision.

Yeah, there is some really good aerial stuff here. Not quite Top Gun caliber, but better than you would expect from a film made in 1980. I read that they were able to secure full cooperation from the Navy, and that kind of access certainly helped in that regard.

I do think it would be a solid candidate for a remake. If someone were able to crack the how/why the ship ends up back in 1941 in some (movie) logical manner and then put the focus on the drama and tension of the should we/should we not intervene (think Crimson Tide), it could be a pretty exciting flick.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Amazing Spiderman 2 - I still don't understand the vitriol towards this movie. Electro aside, it's just as good as nearly every other superhero film.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  6. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    it was alright. they just rushed to get the goblin in their in the last 20 minutes , too quickly.

Tomorrowland , last night.

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The Da Vinci Code

8. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Cat People, 1982. Yes, I watched Inglourious Basterds recently and its use of this movie's David Bowie theme song inspired me to want to rewatch this. This is an early '80s HBO/Cinemax memory for me. Movies that might not have been hits would be given big exposure on the cover of the monthly guide. I almost can't believe I was allowed to watch this (maybe I was sent to bed), a moody and lurid Paul Schrader film adapted from a couple of movies from the 1940s. The most significant memory I have of this movie is of the The Empire Strikes Back gum a kid bought from the gift shop in the zoo.

9. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Tried to watch Peter Jackson's King Kong for the fourth time in my life. I just can't do it. At least not in a single sitting. I just got through the Trex royal rumble and my brain needs a break from green screen overload. This movie just keeps on going and yet it doesn't really seem to go anywhere. How the heck did people sit through this entire thing in cinemas?

Sarge likes this.
  10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i actually saw it twice in the theater, which is super rare for me. i still really love it.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Speaking of Peter Jackson, a few days ago I saw The Habit: The Battle of Stretching This Book Into Three Movies. I was able to tolerate the first two and even enjoy some things (e.g., Riddles in the Dark), but man, this one has gotta be his absolute lowest point as a filmmaker. I know he likes playing with his toys. He had to know he didn't have enough for a third movie. He had to. Even with his padded scripts. Action action action action action action. And then by the time the battle finally ended I forgot what it was about. And he Saruman'd Smaug. Why didn't ol' Pete put that in the ****ing second movie-- other than he knew he had almost nothing for this middle-finger-wielding cash grab?

When Bilbo got home was nice, though. Which was, what, 5 minutes of the 2.5-hour film?

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Have you seen the Extended Cut?

13. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    There's an extended cut? Isn't the theatrical cut like 3 days long already :p?

Species (1995) - Great cast (Ben Kingsley, Michael Madsen, Marge Helgenberger, Forest Whittaker, Alfred Molina and Michelle Williams in an early role), but they're wasted in a movie that starts off with some promise, but keeps getting dumber as it goes. Kinda like me. - 5/10

- I feel the need to give a special shout out to Natasha Henstridge. The movie doesn't require much out of her dramatically, but I don't know if I've ever seen a more stunning woman than she is here. That she spends approx. %50 of the movie in a state of undress certainly doesn't hurt matters, but wow. Just... wow.

14. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Interstellar. It was ok.

15. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Mad Max: Fury Road :cool: 10/10

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    no, i haven't seen it since those two theater viewings and maybe that's why i still love it. i don't know. i definitely felt it was long enough, but i really liked the pacing of it. the long build up to the island, and getting to know ann before the special effects extravaganza begins. i thought her character was pretty well written and remarkably performed by naomi watts. her performance was what really sold the movie for me.

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I have seen the extended cut. I got the EC because I thought that it would be like the EEs for LOTR, since King Kong was the movie that made PJ want to be a director and that there would be an extra 30 or 40 mins of footage. I think there are maybe an extra ten mins in the film if that. All of the extra material is on a separate bonus disc and not actually in the movie,

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, I'm also still a fan. I really, really like Watts in the movie and I think Jack Black is surprisingly good. Plus, it was the first time in a long time I'd seen Kyle Chandler in anything and he's great.

One of my main complaints about the trilogy is Smaug. Basically everything with him sucks. It was just a dumb, dumb decision not to end the second film with his death. It's just obviously the end of the second act. I mean, so, so clearly the end of the second act. Especially when we spent like half an hour running around with the dwarves attempting to kill him and, ultimately, failing. I mean, way to waste my ****** time, Jackson. I was heartened, however, to hear a lot of people in my theater burst into derisive laughter at the "What have we done?" cliffhanger. In short, Jackson has ruined the cliffhanger and everyone in that theater knew it.

19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I also liked Jackson's Kong. I was pretty much dragged to it, but I loved the way it built up the characters slowly.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I rather enjoyed it actually- though it's clear Jackson was more in love with Skull Island than the NYC finale. Makes you wish he could spend the whole movie on Skull Island, since things like Dino stampede, V-Rex brawl and insect attack are the clear highlights of the film.

The problem is Electro is a heavy focus of the film and all of his scenes (as well as other villains like that German doctor) are tonally incompatible with the rest of the film (and the previous film).

So you go from the great stuff with Peter, Gwen and the Parkers (and, to a lesser extent, Harry) that has a grounded feel to the super campy, trying-to-be-Raimi crap with Electro and co and it makes for a very rough viewing experience.

21. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Nightcrawler.

Very good movie. Jake Gylenhall (sp?) was great in it. They left it so they could make a sequel but its one of those movies you wish they'd leave alone and not make any sequels.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think they intend for it to have a sequel- it's a standalone story even though you could theoretically do another with that character. Still , no need- that film is fantastic.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    if you think they were setting it up for a sequel you might not have gotten the movie. also possible that it was i who didn't get it.

Darth Guy likes this.
  24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Nightcrawler 2: Still Crawlin'

25. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm still surprised there hasn't been a Source Code sequel. Or at least a tv series. Badly disfigured humans in vegetative state go on weekly time-jumping crime-solving adventures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.