main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I saw this for the first time last year and it really is a fantastic, warped look on sensationalism and how far people go for attention (among other things.) That this film is even more timely now is rather messed up. I agree.

DarthMane2 and Slowpokeking like this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Lockout peaks with the opening interrogation scene and loses things with its oddly fast forward style chases and such but Guy Pearce holds it together just enough to be mildly entertaining.

And, yeah, Network really impressed me when I saw it last year for the first time as well. I was kinda disappointed the film had to end.

3. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, Pearce is the glue, playing Snow with a constant weariness that makes the antihero archetype feel fresh. And he has a nice counterbalance in Joseph Gilgun, who feels unbalanced and dangerous without ever crossing over into hamminess.

4. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Lucy (2014). An entertaining movie which caught me by surprise.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Mr. Holmes (2015).

A charming, pleasant little film with a charming, pleasant little moral (I.E., **** wasps, they're the worst). Maybe not something I would have actively sought out without a Redbox coupon, but hardly disagreeable, and Sir Ian McKellen puts on a very good performance. Just... don't expect much of a Sherlock Holmes movie.

6. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Terminator Geneisy5.-I thought the first half hour or so was decent. But then it lost me and by the end I just didn't care. D+

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Some Like it Hot (1959)

Hysterically funny, and it's aged gloriously. Monroe is drop dead gorgeous and breathtaking. The final scene is perfection.

Faster (2010)

Man Billy Bob has been in real crap since Bad Santa. What the hell happened? Strangely enough, I had watched A Simple Plan the night before. That film is awesome, and Sam Raimi's second best.

National Lampoon's Van Wilder: The Rise of Taj (2006)

[face_sick]

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  8. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Curious George (2006)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

Rain Man

The crowning jewell of Levinson's Rain Man is Dustin Hoffman's portrayal of a person attempting to live a full life with autism. Hoffman's performance is scarily consistent because there is not one moment where you see a Hoffman type of trait. His performance is charming, funny, tragic, and even a bit frustrating because Rain Man doesn't humanise its commentary of autism in such a manner that it looks manageable or easy to overcome. The difficulties associated with autism are made apparent in Cruise's portrayal of a brother who is trying to connect with his autistic brother only to find that his sibling sees the world in a much different bubble than most other people. Hence, it would be insulting to give the film a fairytale ending because it would have reversed the character development and tension that carried the story.

Rain Man is absolutely worthy of the accolades it achieved, there's little to be said about the film because it truly is an endearing story about family and coming of age rather than a film that intends to explore disability or care for the less fortunate. The autism aspect of the story serves more as a bridge to the emotions that are being played out on screen. Hence, the use of autism as a plot device is tasteful and meaningful because it does not pander down to the audience as portraying autism as something we cannot relate to can be cured by sheer understanding. Instead, the portrayal of the struggles of autism serve to illustrate the fractured relationship between two estranged brothers.

Ironically, Cruise's character is just as obsessive over details and procedure because, like his brother played by Hoffman, when events work against the established order of procedure where he cannot control them, he kicks and screams just like his brother. Therefore, Rain Man at all times remains an absolutely human story instead of using autism as a contrast so the portrayal of brotherly love is always kept to the fore of the story telling.

5 out of 5

Rogue1-and-a-half and Sarge like this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I know people with autistic children who can't watch Rainman because Hoffman is too real as an autistic.

11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Hoffman was given kudos for his performance as an autistic person from people who live with people with autism and those who are autistic.

12. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

I can see why. Like I said, his performance is almost too accurate.

Sarge likes this.
  13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Sarge and TryWhistlingThis like this.
  14. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

Chaplin

Chaplin is a rare biopics that actually requires an element of fantasy for its story to be told because Chaplin was known for being quite the recluse as he grew cynical about the interests that studios and the American government would have in his work as his profile as an entertainer and filmmaker. For this reason, despite being based upon Chaplin's own autobiography, Richard Attenborough's film is only too self-aware of the potential inconsistencies or skimmed details of Chaplin's life because there were secrets that Chaplin kept closely to himself. Although the biopic does span Chaplin's entire life, at the same time the film should be also seen as something other than a definitive biography but also the celebration of a legend who would revolutionise the face of American cinema and inspire countless artists (not limited to filmmakers) of that era along with the era to follow once "talkies" became the new innovation. Therefore, it only seems fitting to tell Chaplin's story in a way that he would want the biopic told - life spanning, emotional, candid but also open to interpretation.

It doesn't matter that we know little of Chaplin's father or the intricacies of Chaplin's various marriages because it is just one aspect of the man's life. Instead, it's a celebration of a life as portrayed by Robert Downey Jr who commands his performance in the titular role brilliantly, accent and all. The supporting cast is also very strong, many of whom at the time were not known for the roles they would eventually be famous for including David Duchovny, James Woods, and Milla Jovovich. Meanwhile, Dan Aykroyd is at his most charismatic and eccentric. Additionally, the film is very nicely shot where the lighting captures the decade and setting where each scene is set. A strangely forgotten biopic not only for the decade in which it was released but even for Robert Downey Jr.'s filmography. Chaplin is amongst his best.

5 out of 5

15. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    The Secret In Their Eyes

16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The Master Strikes Back (1984/5?) The last wuxia Sun Chung would produce for Shaw Brothers is a horror film in all but name. Some folks might disagree with this, that's fine, but to me it doesn't get much uglier than the extreme need to control and harm others simply to try and break someone to your will.

I swore I wouldn't watch this again, but my reverse psychology mind never ceases to say "Yeah right!" when I think that. This is a rough, rough movie about lawlessness and the extreme control of a police state in some old west (okay old east) dump called Phoenix Town. The Chinese army has an outpost there, and the lazy soldiers would rather sleep with the prostitutes and gamble than going through any military drills. And that's just the way totalitarian Chief Constable Jin (Chan Wai Man at his absolutely most awful, scumbag pinnacle) likes it.

When Instructor Tong (Ti Lung) and his bratty son Tong Xiao Feng come to whip the army into shape and clean up town, of course the conflict between Tong and Jin starts immediately. And it gets so much worse. Castration is the body horror of choice here and Sun Chung films that as if he was working with Mario Bava and Dario Argento. It's very Italian horror looking right down to the repulsive old woman who does the deed. The real horror is how awful people can be to each other (as Sun also explored in the more outwardly horrorific and brutally excellent Human Lanterns (1982)). It's kind of scary to watch Tong become even more vulgar and awful than Jin - the eye for an eye stuff here is insane. And both Chan and Ti 1000% commit themselves to their roles and the O.T.T. final fight in which Jin well... I am sure you can figure it out.

I don't think I'd watch this the same way if I were a parent - it's very, very brutal. You see the lengths parents will go through in trying to do the right thing, failing to do the right thing and then just doing whatever it takes to get rid of the evil that has harmed your family. This is bullying taken to the worst extreme. Sun Chung explores three things in his wuxias: the law and lack thereof, corruption of the mind and body and absolute determination to destroy one's enemies even if means destroying yourself. I don't know why I am constantly surprised by Sun Chung's wuxias, the level of characterization, themes, storylines and terrific fights (often created with the specific character in mind) really elevate his films for me. He's not just my favorite Shaw Brothers director, but now, my favorite director period.

Horror should leave you a little shell shocked and thinking... and that's what this film does.

I really hope Celestial releases more of Sun's work on iTunes... and I can't wait to see some of his mid 70s crime films including a riff on Foxy Brown.

17. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    "What We Do In The Shadows"

Flight of the Conchords people do a vampire mockumentary that has its moments but overall it really felt way too long.

18. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    minions, i didnt watch it glued to the screen so i didnt get the second half of the movie.. why was the queen disposed of in and reelected in 1968 when she has been on the throne since 1956?
    anyway my kid got it for her birthday from her uncle.

19. AlyWanKenobi

AlyWanKenobi Jedi Youngling

Nov 24, 2015
    Ted 2, it actually wasn't that bad

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    1941 (1979)

Brings out the worst in Spielberg, and it shows that he cannot make a straight-up comedy film. All of the skits or what have you go on for way too long in its bloated running length. Really, the only performance of note is Christopher Lee as a Nazi general.

Nobody's Fool (1994)

Plotless slice-of-life dramedy revolving around an aging estranged dad played masterfully by Paul Newman. The fact that it doesn't really have a plot is no issue at all because all of the performances are fantastic including Jessica Tandy in her last role. I loved it so damn much. If Forrest Gump hadn't come out that year, I believe Newman would've taken home the Oscar.

North Country (2005)

Charlize and Frances are both great in this, but what bothered me was that it was a fictionalized account of the landmark sexual harassment lawsuit. Why couldn't it have played to the facts? Perhaps so the director could get away with irritating clichés such as the slow clap and "I'm Spartacus" stand up. It's frustrating because this could've been a great movie instead of just a pretty good one.

The Number 23 (2007)

Jim Carrey should stick to comedies.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Southpaw
    [​IMG]

This was less of a boxing movie than I thought it would be. I thought Gyllenhaal and McAdams gave wonderful performances. The story was darker and more depressing than I was in the mood for.

Overall, I thought it was a good movie to watch on a lazy Saturday afternoon.

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2

23. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    The Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 2.

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    TryWhistlingThis, Chaplin is so underrated. I think it's probably still Downey Jr.'s best performance. So much of it is just burned into my brain. And I think it's maybe John Barry's best score as well. Just this deeply tragic music. So gorgeous.

Black Mass (2015) – Scott Cooper

[​IMG]

Take your shot, but make it your best. Cause I get up . . . I eat you.

This film just really, really worked for me. I mean, the “stop the presses” moment is Johnny Depp, finally giving a great performance again. I admit that I’d kind of given up on this ever really happening again, but, God bless him, Depp’s performance as psychopathic Boston gangster Whitey Bulger is a performance that I’ll put up there on the shelf next to his best. Yes, there’s the makeup and the eyes and the hair, but behind those accoutrements, Depp creates a real, terrifying monster. But the ensemble does stellar work as well. Of particular note: Rory Cochrane who really makes his small role land in some surprising ways, like in a scene where Bulger murders someone and the entire scene is played via Cochrane’s reaction; Peter Sarsgaard as a coked up loose cannon & Corey Stoll as a no-nonsense, terrifying in his own way prosecutor. And it’s fun to see a lot of these guys: Kevin Bacon, Benedict Cumberbatch, Julianne Nicholson, a surprising Adam Scott.

But the film really belongs to Joel Edgerton. He’s an actor I’ve had a troubled relationship with, but I’m really starting to dig the guy. I thought he was career best in The Gift earlier this year, but he blows that performance out of the water here. If Depp’s Bulger is a monster, a psychopath without a soul, Edgerton’s Connolly is a man with a conscience that we watch him slowly blunt over the course of the film. Edgerton manages to make Connolly a figure that you absolutely loathe, but still feel a strange empathy for. You’re desperate to see the corrupt FBI agent brought down; after the way he handles the murder in Tulsa (and, by the way, yes, Bulger’s been kind of a figure of myth here in Tulsa ever since then, so it was great to see that particular crime given so much screen time), you loathe the man and then in a later scene where he attempts to get his wife to be friendly to Bulger, he gets even worse. But as the net closes on him, he becomes a pathetic figure; it’s almost painful to watch his desperate attempts to find a way out of the trap he knows is closing on him and the real fear and despair Edgerton finds in the character in the latter passages of the film is the strongest emotional connection I had to the film. It’s a great movie, though, this tale of corruption and cruelty. It’s a movie damning to Connolly and the FBI as a whole, perhaps even more so than it is damning to Bulger. Bulger, after all, is a demon; the FBI are people, people that should have known better. But then that’s what makes for great tragedy; people, like Connolly, knowing better and this grim, nihilistic movie is that exactly, a dark masterpiece of a crime film: well-written, brilliantly acted, incredibly effective and a damn shame all the way down the line. 4 stars.

tl;dr – consistently brilliant performances, especially from Edgerton, a return to form for Johnny Depp and an unrelentingly grim nihilism make this crime drama an instant classic. 4 stars.

More Movie Reviews!

25. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Rogue1-and-a-half perhaps the audience and critics at the time were too obsessed with attempting to weigh up fact against fiction instead of enjoying the film as a brilliantly told story. I think it may have just been misunderstood at the time of release.

[​IMG]

To Kill A Mockingbird

Admittedly, I have not read Harper Lee's novel so I am unable to make any comparison to the source material on which this film is based. But, the most essential parts of the film are definitely in the second hour where both the portrayal of racial and social is at its strongest. The first hour of To Kill A Mockingbird is hardly a waste, but most of the time is spent establishing a contrast between generations of past in terms of how morals and customs have been handed down to the current generation and the potential ripples that has for subsequent generations. For instance, key scenes including the dinner table scene where the boy pours maple syrup all over his roast dinner, the story of the reclusive neighbour, establish a setup for the commentary that will eventually take place concerning the disparity between white and black Americans. In the aforementioned scenes, its is made apparent how the children of the Alabama based community judge upon mere appearances or reputation founded upon hearsay.

Although important, To Kill A Mockingbird spends an hour exploring these contrasts. Ironically, the court room scenes achieve all this and more in under half the time. Therefore, the narrative tends to be stuck in foreshadowing the ramifications of prejudice rather than focusing on why it is an issue in the present. Despite being brilliantly performed and directed, To Kill A Mockingbird does tell a worthy story with an important message. But, this is done much better in a film titled, "Twelve Angry Men", which explores the impact of racism in a heavier and more contemporaneous context where the characters are constantly questioning one another's dispositions toward prejudice. It needs to be stressed, To Kill A Mockingbird is a terrific film but lacks some of the rawer, grittier honesty that it could have gone into as compared to other films that have attempted commentary of this nature.

4 out 5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.