main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    The Grand Duel(1972). A decent Lee Van Cleef spaghetti western.

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I've seen it once or twice. It's a fun distraction, but very little substance and common sense in the film itself.

Last film I saw was Predator 2. People may crap on it, but it takes things in a different direction, instead of being a homage/copy like Predators was.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Suffragette

They have Meryl Streep as one of the main stars in the film, but she only has one scene.

4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    just saw Panic in Needle Park 1971 , its really good , its about heroin junkies in new york , back then movies about junkies were pretty klunky cliched jobs , but this is really sophisticated , brilliantly acted , very naturalistic . Even the film grammar is ahead of its time . stars Al Pacino .

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Bringing Up Baby (1938)

I'm peeved I hadn't seen this sooner or grown up watching this movie. It's hysterically funny, and it's aged gloriously. Grant and Hepburn have great chemistry, and Hepburn especially is so damn adorable [face_love] Oddly enough, it's directed by Howard Hawkes, and I saw his Rio Bravo which I loathed causing me to originally not look forward to seeing this one. Maybe he was better at directing screwballs?

cubman987 likes this.
  6. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Jupiter Ascending

Not as bad as I'd heard. Very silly, not terribly memorable.

7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Vacation (2015) - I'd be lying if I said this movie didn't have any laugh out loud moments, but getting to them was quite the chore. Yet another comedy that attempts to get laughs from shock value over good writing. 1 out of 5 stars.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Inside Out
    [​IMG]

I love that this film takes place in San Francisco and they blame my hometown for ruining pizza. [face_laugh]
    Like most Pixar flicks this film is kick friendly told with a perspective adults could identify with that's getting old. Child hood memories, core memories are often lost to growing pains.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The Body Snatcher with Lugosi & Karloff was on TCM. I've seen it a dozen times but it is required viewing for me whenever a broadcaster is wise enough to air it.

Drac39 and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  10. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Nightcrawler- BULL****!!!! Where the hell are the X-Men?

11. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Tape. A really great movie all around. Unique camera work and cinematography, Interesting characters, good dialogue, funny at some bits, really dramatic at others. Probably the most shoe string budgeted feature length film I've ever seen. It's so good, you forget that the movie is done all in one motel room, with only 3 actors.

12. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    This was a favorite of my familys when I was growing up, I remember it being very funny but I haven't seen it in years....I need to watch it again and see what adult me thinks of it.

It's a boring day at work so I watched Dude Where's My Car (2000) on my phone....I know how dumb this movie is but I just can't help but love it.

13. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
  14. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    The Wizard of Oz (1939). Like Star Wars, it was a staple of my childhood. It still holds up today and looks glorious on Blu-Ray.

15. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Zoltan!

cubman987 likes this.
  16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Back to the Future Part II (1989) – Robert Zemeckis

[​IMG]

He told me one more thing. He told me some day a crazy, wild-eyed scientist or some kid may show up asking about that book. And if that ever happens . . . Funny. I never thought it would be you.

So, sure I went to the theater to catch this one. Hadn’t seen it in years; I’ve seen the first one numerous times and the third one a couple, but to the best of my memory, I’ve only seen this one once. It’s definitely the most flawed of the trilogy, but it has some real strengths. Thomas Wilson really proves himself in this one; he plays iteration after iteration of Biff in this film and he’s willing to go really dark in the film’s alternate 1980s section, a really grim and tawdry interlude in an otherwise pretty wacky movie. Fox fares not as well with his numerous roles, but then I kind of feel like the future section is the worst part of the film; Zemeckis has said in the past (lol) that he wasn’t that interested in the future and only wanted to get to the other stuff. Well, it shows; the props and costumes are tacky and the writing is just sloppy and stupid. The film really takes off, however, once the film gets back to 1955. Ironically returning to the exact same night as the first movie is somehow the film’s most creative and ingenious stroke and all the running around behind the scenes of the first film just really works. The film manages to make the sequence completely seamless. The matching of the first film is really incredible, from the recreation of the first movie’s final scene at the beginning of this one to the recreation of the Under the Sea dance. It seems impossible but the film doesn’t feel like it’s being clever; it really feels absolutely like you are back in the first movie. I don’t know how else to put it, really; it just feels so perfect. The special effects are amazing in this section of the movie, so perfect you kind of forget they’re there. I dislike the climax of the almanac plot; the whole hoverboard bit just goes so far beyond straining credulity as to be ridiculous. But the moment when the car arrives out of the rain after the DeLorean disappears is just phenomenal. That whole scene really captures the magic of this series when it really works; it feels just as mythic and strange as anything in the first movie. Well, obviously, the film is woefully inconsistent. The future segment and the movie’s climax are pretty dreadful, but the Under the Sea dance and the alternate 1980s segment really work. It’s ultimately, well, like I said, the weak link, even if it does have some delightful bits here and there. 2 ½ stars.

tl;dr – woefully inconsistent, with lengthy stretches that are absolutely awful, this film still has some delightful moments when it revisits the first film and in a surprisingly grim middle section. 2 ½ stars.

More Movie Reviews!

17. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    The thing about Lockout is that it never pretends to be anything more than what it is. Just as with food, not every movie is going to be a gourmet meal. And sometimes you're just in the mood for some junk food, and that describes Lockout to a T.

Spot on. Couldn't agree more. I would compare the first act here to that of Return Of The Jedi, where they're tying up loose ends from the previous film and as a result it feels like it's spinning its wheels at times. But everything else is well orchestrated and quite entertaining, actually enhancing the original film by adding layers to it retroactively. I like the climax a bit more than you, and that ending was an OMG! I actually read the novelization before seeing the movie, and when I finished it I immediately turned back to the start and reread it hoping to find clues as to how Marty was going to go back to save Doc. It seems obvious now, but hey, I was like 15.

18. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Elizabeth Shue's acting is beyond dreadful. So thankful her part is small.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually liked the 2015 & 1980-AU segments the most. Going back to 1955 at first kinda grinds the film's momentum to a halt- plus going back to a year we've already been to feels less creative than the new worlds we were exploring during the first two acts.

That said, I think the 1955 revisit eventually wins the audience over (especially during the dance) and the cliffhanger is great. But there is that initial hitting-the-brakes feeling after the earlier heroics.

20. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I saw Maleficent last night , well - it's quite subversive in a way 'cos it re-writes the established narrative , and it's a Disney film .

it reminded me of something else but can't figure out what , Maleficient is a fairy who falls in love with a human man and eventually he betrays her and cuts her wings off - isn't that like another movie ?

21. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    CREED: Liked it a lot. Very much it's own movie even though it's clearly set in the Rocky world. Stallone is indeed quite excellent, and I really can't see him not getting a Oscar nomination. Stallone has always been good with emotion and he shines here.

Rocky is still the best(how can it not be), but I'd put Creed right behind it. Not above, but right next to Rocky II.

Was hoping for some more Conti themes. Quite a bit in the film, but I just wanted a little bit extra.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    American Ultra. One of the biggest flops of the year. Hard to understand why Eisenberg and Stewart would ever agree to take part in something like that. cannot explain why I rented it.

23. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I watched Dumbo and Sleeping Beauty with my nephew today.
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    MTFBWY.

24. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Its a good Disney movie everyone can enjoy.

[​IMG]

25. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    The Polar Express

Never seen it until now. We put it on for all the kids as we're staying with friends for Thanksgiving.

Despite that God awful animation style that RZ insists on, it's definitely a film worthy of joining the kids' standard holiday rotation.
    Hanks playing multiple roles was at best a cheap gimmick. I love him as much as the next guy but he's not exactly a man of a thousand voices. That didn't serve the movie in any way.

My one strong feeling about it was how amazing it all would have looked if it were live action (heavily CGI enhanced of course).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.