main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

It was good for what it was. It's based on the book of the same name, written by the author of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Since it's PG-13, it isn't as bloody or gory as the Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter movie, and only one real instance where you'll jump in your seat.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    A Bridge Too Far, 1977. Hadn't seen it in years, and I just finished the book for the first time yesterday. Makes my short list of greatest war movies every time. As usual, the airborne scenes blew me away; those warm the heart of this old airlifter. The pathos of the Dutch civilians caught in the middle always gets me too. And then there's the cast, look up all-star-cast in the dictionary and it ought to say A Bridge Too Far. It's a pity that they didn't clean up the film when they made the DVD, though.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Tomorrowland: A World Beyond on Sky Movies. Started out kinda slow but I'm enjoying it now. Glad I didn't pay cinema prices though.

4. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    Time After Time. A wonderful time travel film about H.G. Wells travelling to 1970's San Francisco to pursue Jack the Ripper. It features two of my favourite actors, Malcolm McDowell and David Warner, as Wells and the Ripper respectively. Sadly it didn't do so well at the box office and isn't very well known. In fact, it's not even available on DVD here in the UK.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
  6. The Krynoid Man

Dec 24, 2015
    I know, but they're imports from other countries. I was saying that there hasn't been a UK DVD release.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Kung Fu Panda 3 (2016)

Well this was a delight. It's been a while since I've seen the previous two, so I can't really compare them much, but this definitely fell in line with them well. And damn, did it look ****ing amazing. There were a bunch of 2D-animated segments that made me really nostalgic for the glory days of 2D animation. The music was typically great Hans Zimmer work as well; he even took some inspiration from modern rock songs and fused them more more Eastern-sounding music for something that worked really well as a cross-cultural product. As for the cast they were all pretty good, from the returning cast to newcomers JK Simmons and Bryan Cranston.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  8. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

I loved how they had "cameos" of the previous two villains: Lord Shen in the flashback and the toy Tai Laung (sp?).

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Revenant (2015) – Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu

[​IMG]

I ain’t afraid to die anymore. I done it already.

The Revenant is another full-on masterpiece from Inarritu. Following up Birdman with a film that couldn’t be any more different, Inarritu crafts a terrifying, gripping, visceral story of survival, tragedy, madness and revenge. As the fur trapper struggling to survive after being left to die in the wilderness, Leonardo DiCaprio gives a performance of full and total commitment; he’s wordless for long, long stretches of the movie, but he’s unbearably compelling at times. Tom Hardy is every bit his equal, if not even a bit better, as the villain of the piece, the psychopathic trapper that betrays DiCaprio’s character. He’s as scary as he’s ever been and he absolutely disappears behind the makeup and wig and mush-mouth accent. Will Poulter and Domhnall Gleeson are also both far better in their roles than you might expect them to be. The supporting players could easily coast in this movie, leaving the heavy acting lifting to Hardy and DiCaprio, but Poulter and Gleeson refuse to do it and their scenes are excellent. Inarritu’s direction is nothing short of astounding. Along with Lubezki on cinematography duties, Inarritu’s eye creates a world that couldn’t be more vivid or visceral or strange. The visuals here harsh and beautiful. The word “atmospheric” gets thrown around way too often, but if ever a movie deserved the word, this one does. The score is by the always brilliant Ryuchi Sakamoto and it’s another masterpiece, dread-soaked, minimal, strange, utterly gripping. The story is gripping and emotionally evocative; it’s a movie filled with some of the purest emotion of the year and the climax of the story is brutal, grim and beautiful. It’s a film so packed with gorgeous visuals and scenes and performance moments that it would be absurd to even attempt to discuss them: virtually every scene is a mini-movie, a tiny cinematic masterpiece buried inside this larger one. It’s harrowing, beautiful, gripping, unstoppable, powerful, intense, heart-breaking, a movie you can’t look away from for its entire, quite substantial, running time. Wow. Just wow. 4 stars.

tl;dr – visceral, brutal, beautiful movie boasts astounding visuals, a compelling story, genuinely great performances; as atmospheric and transporting as movies get. 4 stars.

More Movie Reviews!

11. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Batman, 1989... a year that just seems so long ago now.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  12. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    John Wick (2014) - really enjoyed this, a great action/revenge flick that is incredibly violent in all the right ways. Nice to see Keanu Reeves can still deliver in this type of movie. As with "Kingsman" I'm disappointed I didn't see this in theater because it would have been great to see on the big screen.

13. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Sarge likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I watched Montage on cable a few months ago and it was quite interesting. There are several really strong moments (his mother's warning after listening to Nevermind for the first time) mixed in with the chaotic doodles and sonic experimentations of Kurt as well as surprisingly intimidate home videos of him and Courtney- you almost feel too voyeuristic watching scenes from it at times.

I think it's effective at making you feel Kurt's situation- though somewhat ironically that this is achieved by going so deep into a rather private person's life.

I think between Montage and the Seattle episode of Sonic Highways you get a pretty complete picture of things from the different POVs of his former bandmates, friends & family. Montage gives you a personal look focusing on Kurt while Sonic covers things a bit more broadly in terms of the impact on fans and the music scene (though obviously you still have the personal connection via Grohl). Yo can probably add in segments of Sound City in more further flavor.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  15. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    The Good Dinosaur

Went with my two and half year old daughter (her first trip to the cinema)

I'd call it the OK Dinosaur :D

16. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    The Good Dinosaur

Went with my two and half year old daughter (her first trip to the cinema)

I'd call it the OK Dinosaur :D

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  17. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Written and directed by Nicholas Meyer, best known for Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan. Definitely a fun little thriller. It's a shame that it's sort of fallen through the cracks.

Other movies since have made gobs more money--even adjusted for inflation--but no movie since has taken hold of popular culture quite the way Tim Burton's Batman did in the Summer of 1989. The Bat logo was everywhere, and the soundtrack was all over radio and MTV. Such was the demand for all things Batman that stations even began re-running the old 60s TV series again. I saw it three times that Summer, and even read the novelization twice.

Today it's more of a nostalgic touchstone for me than a great movie, but I do still enjoy it despite its flaws. I think, whatever else it may or may not be, it's a fantastic piece of pop art.

I really get a kick out of Keanu Reeves' longevity. Other more celebrated actors of his generation have continued to fall by the wayside, and there's Keanu, still working, still delivering and still relevant. I enjoyed John Wick too and I'll definitely see the sequel at the theater.

Goosebumps (2015) - Dusts off a couple of 90s relics (No, not Hootie & The Blowfish and Bill Clinton, I'm talking about Jumanji and the titular book series) and sorta mashes them together into a frenzied and frantic movie that isn't quite as much fun as it's trying very, very hard to be. The cast is likeable and game, and the Jumanji-style premise is a good match for material, but the humor often lands with a thud and all of the monster mayhem is ultimately more exhausting than it is exhilarating. - 6/10

The Krynoid Man likes this.
  18. The Krynoid Man

Dec 24, 2015
    The Man in the White Suit, one of the best comedies of all time.

19. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    Need to watch this again, absolutely brilliant film. Can't wait for the sequel.

Master_Lok and cubman987 like this.
  20. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Deadpool: Very, very entertaining. Pretty much loved the whole thing, and I'm not even a Deadpool fan. Reynolds totally makes up for his previous comic-book outings, the humour is funny, the action is really good, and I loved Negasonic Teenage Warhead.

My only criticsm is that the main bad-guy's powerset is said to be
    superhuman reflexes, feels no pain
    , but what we see looks more like
    superhuman strength, feels no pain... not to mention lack of pain should not enable you to not be hampered by a sword through the shoulder - torn ligaments and blood-loss should really slow you down in a fight
    . But that's a minor niggle.

21. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Hail, Caesar!

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I haven't seen Deadpool yet, but I'm hearing nothing but good things.

Glad to you a non-Deadpool fan as yourself enjoy the film, as I'm hoping my wife will as well. With all the high quality comic book films released over the years, my wife has become a big fan of the genre. Not enough to be a comic book reader, but enough to look forward and want to see the next one.

23. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It's both violent and has some pretty crude humour, but I'm guessing you already know that.

24. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm excited for Deadpool, and I'm glad it's Ryan Reynolds cause that means my wife is cool with us seeing it this weekend for Valentine's Day.

25. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Double post

26. The Krynoid Man

Dec 24, 2015
    The Thing (1982), one of the few remakes that's actually better than the original (although the 50's one is still good).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.