main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Gotham S2, Ep.6 "By Fire" (2015) - Plot; Galavan's plot to seize Gotham continues while Jim Gordon and his team square off against a new threat with a tragic origin.

Along with a tighter focus on the story at large, the other big difference between S1 and S2 of Gotham is the sheer, graphic brutality of it. Limbs are severed, people are shot, impaled and blown up with bloody and unflinching results. In fact, though the series can at times tiptoe that line between comic and camp, I'd say it's more violent, more graphic, than Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. - 8/10

2. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Finished watching the last 2 episodes of season 5 of Elementary. I'm a big fan of this show, much more so than our modern day version over here with Benedict Cumberbatch. I think Elementary is getting stronger as it goes on, but one thing I'm glad they've done is seemingly wrap up the whole SBK gang warfare story line. I find that shows that get too bogged down in these kind of things where they are using organisations and they become a bit stale, (I'm thinking of Person of Interest with HR and Grimm with HW and Black Claw). So I'm glad thats resolved. I loved the ending of Holmes seemingly going mad too and conversing with his dead mother. Great stuff.

3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Law & Order SVU: Episode "Manhattan Transfer"- After busting a sex party that had underage girls with high ranking NYC officials, the investigation is stonewalled by Vice, a victim's death, a witness with credibility issues and threats to Benson's personal and professional life. Part 1 of 2

I watched this episode on USA last night, and of course, they didn't have the follow-up episode.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    A couple of episodes of Season 4 of How I Met Your Mother

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    My fiance and I finished the 2nd seasons of both Billions and Master of None. I highly recommend both shows, especially Master of None. While the first season was good, the 2nd one knocks it out of the park.

6. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The Persuaders s1e11 "Chain of Events"
    Danny becomes chained to a suitcase and pursued by various parties. Pure lightweight hokum, its lack of pretension and the two mismatched leads hamming it up is pretty much the draw for this series. I know it was one of my favourite shows as a young child (along with The Six Million Dollar Man and Hawaii Five-O) and I still get the appeal.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i watched the first season of man in the high castle. i guess i will keep watching. some of the actors are really terrible and the writing is super lazy at times. i like the premise and the production value is okay, but it feels like the show could be way better.

8. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Gotham S2, Ep.7 "Mommy's Little Monster" (2015) - Plot; With the mayor's office in hand, Theo Galavan takes his plan to its next phase.

The decision (so far at least) to keep the focus on a single story with various subplots caught up in its orbit vs. S1's tendency for one-offs and sidetracks, has been a good one. There's a building interest in this story that was often undone by S1's villain of the week diversions. Speaking of the subplots, the best one here has been the birth of The Riddler. The track laid so carefully in S1 has really paid off here, and Cory Michael Smith has been fantastic as Edward Nygma and his increasingly pervasive dark half. - 8/10

9. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Episodes 3 and 4 of Twin Peaks - the Return.

10. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    ESPN's 30 for 30: about John Spano.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Just binge watched the entire 1978 Hong Kong wu via drama The Spirit of The Sword, maybe 25-45 minutes of which was worth my time of the entire 5-6 hours (I lost count waiting for the person I bought this for). 8-} Basically, a samurai has a hit list of many Chinese clans and wastes almost every Master of the Chinese clans, until he faces off against one of the murdered masters' sons seven years later. This being like a soap opera you have put up everything that happens in the subsequent 7 years while the son trains and matures before the big bad pops up again. [face_beatup] Nope, Leslie Chung and I do not jive (though I knew that watching A Better Tomorrow).

I think I'll stick to binge watching movies as getting through an entire Mandarin series with no English subtitles when there was vast amounts of yawn was tricky to say the least. My wallet will be happy I have crossed off every other Chinese tv series my faves are in, except for that mid 90s Ti Lung Judge Bao series because he's just a treat as the revered Judge (so operatic he makes me giggle.)

12. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Is there a Sens8 thread here?

I'm so mad. Netflix cancelled this epic show today. This move leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

On topic the last tv show I watched today was Twin Peaks S2 ep 18.

13. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    T.J. Hooker S2, Ep. 16 "Vengeance is Mine" (1983) - Plot; Hooker reunites with his former partner (Leonard Nimoy) only to be drawn into a difficult position when his partner's daughter is raped and Hooker is assigned to the case.

For reasons known only to the 80s gods, I've been itching of late to check out some Hooker action... T.J. Hooker that is. Sinner. I chose this particular episode because it features a guest appearance by Shatner's Trek cast mate Leonard Nimoy.

As a kid, I was a weekly viewer of this 80s cop show starring William Shatner that ran for a surprising 5 seasons. Kirk as a cop. How could I not have been? The show is remembered, if at all, for the almost comical amount of running and tumbling Shatner (and his stunt double) does, which we get here in spades. It was fun to watch Shatner and Nimoy on screen together as characters other than Kirk and Spock, and they share a natural chemistry that you just can't create. And it's always nice to see Nimoy playing against the Spock type as he does here.

The episode is prototypical 80s TV, but it does address the rape aspect of the story in a surprisingly frank manner. It tries to balance out the drama and action with a running gag about Hooker's bank mixing up his account with someone else's, causing his car to be repossessed. It works only because Shatner is Shatner and he makes everything better because of his Shatnerness. - 7/10

- Nimoy also directed an episode of T.J. Hooker (S2, Ep. 14 "The Decoy") in preparation for his turn in the director's chair for Star Trek III.

- The episode features Betsy Palmer AKA Pamela Voorhees in Friday the 13th.

- As was typical of 80s TV shows, it featured a great theme song.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Game 1 of the 2017 NBA Finals

15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    last 3 eps of S2 of The Leftovers .

I do like this show , its very grim , its like Lindeloff loves those old Bible stories and Greek myths where a character has to go thru some torment and sacrifice . Altho at times he does slip into Lost mode where he just can't resist having the least likely thing happen for shock value , but then has to reverse out of it not too successfully .

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I am watching Genius. I like it a lot. It portrays Einstein as a complicated person. He's obviously a-- uh, I don't remember the word. He's very smart. But he has enormous flaws which the show does not shy away from highlighting.

I knew little of Mileva Maric before, and I would say she's the "hero" of the story (so far) moreso than her partner. There's one episode in which we see Pierre Curie insist that his wife and lab partner, Marie, be included in the Nobel Prize; Albert Einstein, in contrast, is bewildered and taken by surprise when his wife requests to be credited on his papers for the work she did helping him with research and scrutinizing his equations. While he encounters hostility to his radical ideas and anti-Semitism, he's still a man in a male-dominated field and thus never did struggle in the ways Mileva always did. He doesn't understand her struggle even when she makes it clear to him. Despite his anti-capitalist and anti-nationalist views to the point that he renounced his German citizenship, Einstein is generally portrayed as someone to whom empathy for and understanding of others does not come easily.

On another note, I like that this show does not treat the audience like idiots and lays out Einstein's theories (or at least aspects of them) without excessive hand-holding.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Game 2 of the 2017 NBA Finals

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Game 3 of the 2017 NBA Finals

19. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Star Trek S1, Ep.20 "Court Martial" (1967) - Plot; Kirk faces court martial when it's deemed his actions during a crisis lead to the death of a crewman.

Kirk's guilt is never really in doubt, 'cuz, Kirk. But "Court Martial" is nevertheless reasonably compelling for the bulk of its running time thanks to a nice turn from Shatner and solid guest appearances; particularly Elisha Cook Jr. as Kirk's quirky defense attorney. Where it comes apart a bit is in its fourth quarter twist, which undercuts the preceding drama. - 7/10

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Fargo Season 3, Episode 8. Glad they brought back Mr. Wrench from Season 1, that was an unexpected treat.

I'm still not sold on Ewan McGregor's performance. He's not bad, but I don't think he was the ideal casting choice for his roles this season.

21. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    12 Monkeys Seasons 3 episode 5.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Lookwell S1, Ep.1 (1991) - Plot; The star of a long cancelled detective show uses his ceremonial deputy status to help the police solve crimes.

With the passing of Adam West yesterday, I had planned to watch a two-parter of his classic Batman in tribute. But in reading about West I stumbled across an unsold pilot he starred in that was written and produced by Conan O'Brien and Robert Smigel. Over the years it's gained a cult status and is frequently mentioned as one of the best failed pilots of all-time. The pilot is called Lookwell, and if it's the glove, Adam West is the hand.

In the last 24 hours, much has been said about how deft West's portrayal of the Caped Crusader was. With material that plays on several levels, he gives a virtuoso performance that we're only now really beginning to appreciate. That touch is on full display in this consistently amusing and intermittently clever pilot with a premise that seems tailor made for a man of West's talents. Playing the loveably oblivious Ty Lookwell, he gets to don a variety of getups and is clearly enjoying himself.

This would've been a tough premise to keep up on a weekly basis, but we were sadly denied the opportunity to see Adam West display his unique talents in this equally unique show. - 7/10

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  23. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Miami Vice S1, Ep.7 "No Exit" (1984) - Plot; A small time arms dealer comes into possession of a cache of Stinger missiles and Crockett and Tubbs reluctantly work with the Feds to stop him before they get out on the market.

Middling episode is noteworthy for guest star appearance by a pre Moonlighting Bruce Willis as the villain. Willis' character is completely one dimensional, but his star power is evident and he has you begging for him to get his comeuppance. - 6.5/10

- Features yet another Phil Collins song that perfectly captures the mood of the scene where it's used.

- Watching this, I couldn't help but think Willis would've made an interesting Sonny Crockett.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Game 5 of the 2017 NBA Finals

25. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Doctor Who: "The Mummy On The Orient Express"

The Doctor and Clara arrive on a space-travelling Orient Express as passengers start dying due to a mummy that only the victims can see.

Juliet316 likes this.