main
side
curve

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Watergate era Johnny Carson with Robert Blake, Victoria Principle and Fernando Lamas ? Plus an attorney who is a Manualist (apparently plays songs by manipulating the airflow as he squishes his hands together. Yes, it sounded like farts and this guy had us rolling), Gotta love the 70s.

Juke Skywalker and Juliet316 like this.
  2. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Star Trek Voyager episode "Waking Moments": The crew of Voyager comes under attack by a race of aliens who traps them in their dreams. Chakotay must determine what's reality and what's a dream in order to save the crew.

3. heels1785

heels1785 JCC/PT/New Films Manager star 8 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Boston Legal, S01-E17 "Death Not Be Proud"

An hour of television that everyone should see. Spader won an Emmy largely for this episode, and Kerry Washington flourishes in one of her first major roles. A mentally handicapped man is on death row in Texas, and Alan Shore (Spader) comes from Boston to try to save his life.

It is unsettling, at times terrifying, and probably very offensive to conservative people who live in Texas.

That being said, if you haven't seen it, try to.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  4. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Handmaidens Tale, Ep2

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Nightsister of Four Realms star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Handmaiden's Tale is next on my list after I finish Sense8 and 11-22-63.

The second episode of 11-22-63 was the last episode I watched. I'm spooked as hell but it's Stephen King so there would be something wrong if I weren't. It's also really, really suspenseful; glued to the screen without taking a pee break, "Oh **** oh **** oh ****" every few seconds suspenseful.

The historical setting is also really good, with sexism on par with Mad Men.

6. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    A fan of Alison Brie, I started watching the new Netflix show "GLOW" based on the "Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling" show in the mid-'80s. I heard about that but have forgotten it; I never cared for wrestling. I will say that male fans of Alison Brie might really be captivated by the first episode, with a couple of scenes clearly designed to spur discussion and to hook in viewers like a lot of new cable (or whatever) shows. This show could have been about women's wrestling, burlesque dancers, or roller derby. Aside from that, it follows an "Orange is the New Black" formula of showing women overcoming troubles in their lives and finding empowerment, with crassness and goofy vulgar humor, and while also clinging to a several stereotypes as is typical of producer Jenji Kohan's work. She's like a Michael Bay of TV. The black women have to be big and mean or just complete hysterical idiots.

7. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I just binged on GLOW and really liked it. It's funny (slightly risky at times), poignant, endearing, and moving. All the characters are screwed up and it's quite clever at shifting your 'allegiance' from character to character throughout the all too short season.

8. DAR

DAR Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Started GLOW last night finished this morning. Liked it a lot

9. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, Season 4. As of late, I favored binge-watching SHIELD when available for streaming right after the current season ended. Such was the case here, but I think I did myself a bit of a disservice not seeing each episode as it aired. This was a riveting but at the same time emotionally charged season. Easily one if not the series best.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 8, 2000
    Just finished the latest season of House of Cards. Liked it a lot. But I think its time they start thinking about wrapping up the series. One, maybe two more seasons.

Up next for me: GLOW

11. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    House of Cards has overstayed its welcome, IMO. They stretched things out needlessly one incredible twist after another. I'm tired. Just show us Frank and Claire defeated and in cuffs or triumphant as rulers for life of the new North American Empire. Whatever. Just end things already.

12. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Veep season finale. The season was kind of a mess and the chaotic finale was moreso. The jokes were great as usual, but the actual story line / arc of the season was essentially pointless. The ending suggested we will be heading into a retread of previous seasons. So much so that I had to google if it was the series finale. Definitely not leaving on the typical season finale theme of upheaval and questions that must be answered.

Thankfully they had lines like "I just remembered. I have a photographic memory." this season or I might have given up halfway through.

13. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Star Trek Voyager: "Worst Case Scenario" Tuvok and Paris are trapped in a holodeck program, thanks to Seska, and the crew must find a way to get them out.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

14. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    T.J. Hooker S2, Ep. 13 "Too Late for Love" (1983) - Plot; A cabal of fur coat thieves include a beautiful young fashion model, a love interest of Hooker's partner officer Romano.

Fur coat thieves. Not exactly the stuff of hard hitting crime drama. But despite this seemingly...fluffy...premise and the hammier aspects of the series (like Bill Shatner running and tumbling at the drop of a hat), isn't quite the cheesefest it would seem to be. Make no mistake, this ain't Hill Street Blues, but neither is it Poochinski. As always, Shatner makes everything better. Well, maybe not Heather Locklear's acting. - 6/10

- Seriously, you need to click that Poochinski link.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. tom

tom Chosen One star 7

Mar 14, 2004
    to those watching glow or interested in it, there's also a documentary on netflix about the actual gorgeous ladies of wrestling that is really good and i would recommend watching either before or after you watch the series.

16. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero S2, Ep.7 "Computer Complications" (1986) - Plot; Cobra agent Zarana goes undercover to tap into the Joe's computer network and falls in love with the team's computer tech, Mainframe.

Ahh, forbidden love. Always a good storytelling hook, even when it occurs amidst a hail of laser fire in the 80s style battle between good and evil of G.I. Joe. It's all handled in a reasonably, or at least relatively, mature fashion. - 7/10

CT-867-5309 and Juliet316 like this.
  17. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero S1, Ep.49 "The Wrong Stuff" (1985) - Plot; When Cobra takes control of the world's satellites and uses them to broadcast its propaganda, G.I. Joe must put together a team capable zero-g combat to wrest them back.

As with most episodes penned by Flint Dille, there's a level of wry wit here that adds a +1 bonus regardless of how ridiculous Cobra's take-over-the-world-plan-of-the-day is; and it is ridiculous here. But watching the various Joes compete for a spot on the space team is fun and the outer-space action is a nice change of pace. - 7/10

CT-867-5309 and Juliet316 like this.
  18. heels1785

heels1785 JCC/PT/New Films Manager star 8 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    First episode of The Nineties, Tom Hanks' (and partners) incredible series for CNN that is now covering it's fourth decade.

The introductory montages alone are worth tuning in:

19. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2013
    Currently watching the "Sherlock" series on Netflix. This show is amazing, I can't believe I hadn't watched it before now.

Resic likes this.
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The last few episodes of Downward Dog, which is an acquired taste as the dog in the show doesn't do much in the way of facial expressions, but I think he's suppose to have that deadpan delivery. Anyway, as the series goes on from one episode to the next, it wonderfully builds heart and character, as the dog and his owner kind of parallels each other. The dog's owner, Nan, does have a pretty good story line that unfolds through the season.

21. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrely Community Mod star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Just finished Riverdale. Not the Archies I grew up with but I really enjoyed this Twin peaks lite version.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The last few episodes of Netflix's GLOW, which I found to be the proverbial "page turner" as the characters are wonderfully "fleshed out" (which I'm sure fans crushing on Alison Brie would be more than delighted to see) and in contrast to each other to create an diverse motley crew that drives the story forward.

23. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 11, 2003
    The Leftovers s3 ep 8 "The Book of Nora"
    This has been a strange but rewarding series. This episode has Nora recounting what happened when she jumped worlds, and it works despite just being a talking head monologue. I think Carrie Coon might just be the best actor in the series, she's really very good.

24. Drac39

Drac39 Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 9, 2002
    'Lookwell'

'Lookwell' is the legendary cult pilot which offers a glimpse into the comedic writing of Conan O Brien and Robert Smigel as they are developing their genius. 'Lookwell' is a lot of good ideas that I think awkwardly are meshed into the generic sitcom formula. Everything I've read about 'Lookwell' shouts that it was a victim of being ahead of it's time. I'll agree with that assessment. The problem is though that I think the sitcom prevents 'Lookwell' from utilizing Smigel's and Conan's talents. Conan was always at his height when he created odd detached characters in a heightened frenzy showcased around a comparatively bland normal world on a slower speed. Adam West is perfect for this material. He is the true draw to 'Lookwell'. I think in order to have done this right, you had to have fleshed out the world more. Everything else here is just overwhelmed by West. We have no benchmark to compare the absurdity of this character to.

The problem with 'Lookwell' is that they are infatuated with Adam West. There's a great reason because he is perfect for the part. Adam West was brilliant at self parody and probably did so more than any other actor. The problem is you can't just have West self monologue the entire time. He is funnier when he glaringly stands out. And so while West is fantastic there is nothing to compare him to. No one else is really given anything to do in 'Lookwell'. I think you really needed to develop the characters of the real police officers a little more for this to work. You needed some interplay between them to distinguish how fake Ty Lookwell really is.

I may be projecting my own wishes on the project but 'Lookwell' should have definitely gone darker. I think Smigel and O'Brien where too much in awe of West to make fun of him enough. You see there's a difference between being mean to the character and being mean to West. Adam West is always going to have dignity. Wouldn't it have been so much funnier if Lookwell's delusions were actually capable of hurting people? Isn't it a little too much of a convenience for Lookwell's investigations to actually end like an episode of 'Bannigan' instead of only a delusion of ending like an episode of 'Bannigan?

The crime is far too absurd and convoluted too. O'Brien and Smigel should have actually consulted with a crime or mystery writer. The whole story about cars being stolen and re purposed leaves too much exposition especially in a pilot where precious time is needed to develop your characters and world.

'Lookwell' is a great seed of an idea. I think 90's television had no chance of making it work. It'd be an interesting movie or cable show now but you have lost so much of it's charm with the passing of Adam West.

25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Not sure what episode of Kung Fu it was, but Cane helps a young would-be sheriff out of a sticky situation and a burning jail cell.

Having recently discovered Kung Fu was Bruce Lee's pet project, it makes me very uncomfortable now to watch David Carradine play the role Bruce wrote for himself. It feels even more stereotypical than it is and while I am not much of a Bruce Lee fan, I can clearly see how much better this show would have been if the Hollywood suits took a risk on Bruce as Cane. I zoned out pretty quick and declined to watch additional episodes.

Ironically, I do have a "Shaolin" workout dvd with Carradine and he's pretty good as a guide for what looks like simplified Hung Gar style. Generally, I keep my nose out of diversity discussions, as I believe the best person for the job. Every so often, I watch something that just does not feel right and Kung Fu is now on that no thank you list.

Now I am glad the Abbot never called Cane Praying Mantis (then I would have been super annoyed as I dig Mantis style Kung Fu :p.)