main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, but the A-plot is about Worf finding the Khitomer survivors.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Game of Thrones, Season 3, Episode 10....again. Because I missed the white walker scene in Episode 8, so I had to watch that one again which naturally led to me wanting to see the brutality of Episode 9 and the Red Wedding again, which naturally forced me to conclude the season with Episode 10...again. Now for the weekend....bring on Season 4!

3. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Chancellor_Ewok, PCCViking, Juliet316 thanks for the suggestions :D.

I mentioned that one of the things I like about TOS is the Kirk/Spock/McCoy triumvirate, but I do appreciate that made genuine efforts to give all of the players centric episodes and keep them in the fold in general. That was less true in the movies, where by Nemesis Picard and Data were akin to Carl Winslow and Urkel, with everyone else grabbing what scraps they could.

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Cribb: Abracadaver (1980) – Julian Aymes

In this episode of the series, our stalward detectives investigate a spate of bizarre accidents plaguing the London music hall scene. They’re mainly just embarrassing; none of them have been fatal . . . yet. This episode had a really obvious solution and a lengthy section in a sort of underground music hall where the performances are more . . . adult is pretty cheesy. Patsy Rowland gives a really marvelous comedic performance in a supporting role as a woman who’s interested in Cribb in more ways than the usual. A scene of the two of them in her bedroom is hilariously funny. This one’s mostly just fine, not great, not terrible, just fine. 2 ½ stars.

tl;dr – episode set in the tawdry world of London’s music halls is OK and not much more than that; a couple of hilarious scenes with actress Patsy Rowland. 2 ½ stars.

gezvader28 likes this.
  5. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    started watching Absentia , it's about a female FBI agent who was abducted and held captive by a serial killer for 6 years ( or was she ?) , there's clearly gonna be lots of twists and I'm not sure I can be bothered keeping track .

6. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    where are you watching this Rogue ? or is it dvd ?

edit - whoops , meant to add this to previous post.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It is on DVD. Some of the episodes are available on single DVDs, but I got ahold of the complete series, fourteen episodes. I don't think it's currently available for streaming or purchase except for on DVD.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Ducktales, House of the Lucky Gander! Gladstone Gander manipulates Scrooge, the triplets, Webby and Launchpad into freeing him from the clutches of a Chinese luck vampire. It wasn’t bad overall, Gladstone’s completely absurd amounts of luck was amusing, but I feel they missed an opportunity to develop Launchpad by passing up on showing us his search for his missing girlfriend.

9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The Jane Eyre miniseries from 2006.

A pleasurable adaptation of the old English coming of age novel with the kind of grand shots of the old English country you'd expect. It goes a bit awry near the end with flashbacks and dream sequences used to summarize and cut down on run time, but it gets back on track in plenty of time for a satisfying ending.

Definitely recommended if you're a fan.

soitscometothis likes this.
  10. Sake

Sake Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    Watching Fresh Meat, though just started season 3 and as happens so often it's taken a nosedive into self parody.

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Cribb: The Detective Wore Silk Drawers (1980) – Alan Grint

In this episode, Cribb is dispatched to uncover a brutal underground fighting ring; when the boxers in this underground ring fail too many times, they’re apt to turn up dead. Cribb sends in a young constable undercover as a down on his luck boxer in order to ferret out the identity of the murderer. Barry Andrews is very good as the young constable who quickly gets in over his head. I also really liked the more callous side of Cribb that we see in this episode; he’s really quite cavalier, infuriatingly so by the end of the episode, about the danger he’s putting his undercover agent in. But the real star here is Norma West as one of the ringleaders of the illegal fighting ring; she’s playing the villain to the hilt, as a sexually voracious predator who gets off on strong men beating each other. She’s a riot, simultaneously creepy and very funny. One surprising thing: the fights are very brutal – you certainly wouldn’t have seen anything nearly this violent on American television in the 80s. 3 ½ stars.

tl;dr – a couple of wonderful guest performers enliven this tale of an underground fighting ring. 3 ½ stars.

12. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Game of Thrones, Season 4, Episode 2....really enjoyed watching Joffrey die.

Darth Punk likes this.
  13. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Doesn’t everyone? :p

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Rellik

Binge watched all six episodes of this crime procedural. It's told in flashback after flashback, which is irritating at first, but you get into it after a while. Its star, is Richard Donner - the bloke who plays Ser Berrick Dondarion (burning sword dude) from GoT.

Paterson Joseph also stars in it - you might recognise him as Alan Johnson from Peep Show.

With a watch 7/10

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Sounds good. I'll stick it on the laterbase.

Darth Punk likes this.
  16. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Is that normal pooing?

Diggy likes this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yes, perfectly normal.

Darth Punk likes this.
  18. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    he's given up directing then ? :p

(Dormer)

19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003

I think it's an excellent mini. Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens are great together.

20. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    Just watched the final episode of Rick and Morty season three. Apparently, season four won't be happening for "a really long time". Wubba lubba dub dub.

21. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The Arrow pilot again. The first time since season 1 actually. I really like elements of the story and Stephen Amell is solid as a young Oliver Queen/Green Arrow, but that CW sudsy business keeps getting in my hair.

I watched footage from the season five finale as that calls back to the pilot's opening sequence on Lian Yu. In a way, I was annoyed that Ollie did not become as native the pilot suggests, but vaguely remembering his time on Lian Yu (through I think season 3. I forgot where I tapped out), it's easy to understand why he cops that look
    to get back to civilization. It's just funny how the pilot wig looked real and the one in the season five finale looked oh so fake.

---

Prior to that, I watched the Legends of Tomorrow season 1 episode Star City 2046. I liked John Diggle Jr. (a.k.a. Connor Hawke), but not much else. I appreciate the the over exaggerated acting but most of the characters in Legends (save for Cyborg? and Hawkgirl) did not grab me. Even Amell's future Ollie seemed off here, but I get it. A potential future that may or may not be.

So, yeah, not much change in my attitude toward CW's programming but...I won't hold it against DC. I understand a good part of this is the channel's own mandate so there isn't a lot that can be done to avoid the suds. I am beginning to think some of DC's comic writers should get the go head to collaborate with screenwriters for movies and tv.

22. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Spoiler Free

Stranger Things S2, Ep.1 "MADMAX" (2017) - Plot; A year later, things have seemingly returned to normal in Hawkins, Indiana, but below the surface darkness brews.

This first episode of S2 is a bit of a slow burn, reacquainting us with the characters and easing us back into the view askew that is Hawkins, Indiana. There's a lot to enjoy for returning viewers, but for the uninitiated, there's little here latch onto and even less to hook you. In short; if you haven't watched S1... go watch S1 first.

By this point the solid ensemble cast have their characters down, and newcomers like Sean Astin and Paul Reiser blend in seamlessly. I have a feeling neither character will be who or what they seem.

Beyond the intriguing (and never again referenced or explained) opening and the shocking revelation in its last few minutes, "MADMAX" doesn't offer much that needs to be unpacked. This is a reorientation more than it is a first step, but for fans it should feel good to be Strange once again. - 7.5/10

23. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Vikings S3 E5. Started the series a month or two ago not expecting much. The overall plotting could be better, the actor who plays Ragnar really carries the whole thing. Overall a good, enjoyable watch.

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Cribb: The Horizontal Witness (1980) – Alan Grint

This episode finds the stalwart Constable Thackery going undercover into a hospital in order to keep an eye on a hospitalized witness. Thackery “pretends” to be another patient, except, well, he does actually have surgery, so I’m not sure if that’s even going undercover or not. This one is quite good; the murder victim is a major player in the London underworld and he ends up dead in his own brothel, so there’s some pretty cool bits with his fellow mobsters and the episode’s climax is a lot of fun. Also features a fun performance by James Coyle as the unreliable witness. 3 ½ stars.

tl;dr – the London underworld and the unsavory world of Victorian era hospitals add up to a fun, diverting episode. 3 ½ stars.

25. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Stranger Things S2, Ep. 2-5 (2017) - I'm at the halfway point, and I have to say that I'm not quite feeling this second season. Not much of any consequence happens in the first few episodes, w/the focus instead on reacquainting us w/the characters. To that end, there seems to be a conscious effort here to give everyone their own little story arcs, bits and moments. The character stuff is reasonably good (assuming you like the character and have some emotional investment in them), but the overall result is that the larger story feels a bit less focused IMO and much of it feels like a rehash.

There's still some mystery to be unpacked, but where I don't believe I rated any of S1's episodes less than an 8, I'd be hard pressed to give any of this batch anything higher than a 7.