main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Cribb: The Last Trumpet (1981) – Brian Mills

This is one of the best episodes of the second season. It revolves around Jumbo, an elephant owned by the London Zoo and the scandal that ensued when the Zoo decided to sell Jumbo to P.T. Barnum. That much of the story is true and I kind of liked the way this episode built a murder mystery around a very specific real event; I kind of wish the series had done this a little more. It’s got a couple of really great guest performances, most especially from Barry Jackson as Jumbo’s wily, slightly unsavory trainer Matthew Scott. I liked this episode a lot; I would say it’s easily the best of the back-half of this series. 3 ½ stars.

tl;dr – best episode of Cribb’s second season features some great guest performances and a witty plot that revolves around the true story of Jumbo the Elephant. 3 ½ stars.

2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    season 2 finale of master of none. amazing. if you haven't started watching this show do so immedietely! those last few episodes were an emotional rollercoaster.

tom likes this.
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Cribb: The Hand That Rocks the Cradle (1981) – George Spenton-Foster

Cribb is called in to investigate when a dangerous accident nearly claims the life of Queen Victoria’s infant grandson. The plot eventually leads to some anarchists. Unfortunately, one of them is played by an actor named Nicholas Day who is absolutely terrible. The episode climaxes in one of the least exciting chase sequences I’ve ever encountered. Jessica Spencer gives a very funny performance as a glowering Queen Victoria and Rosalie Crutchley is quite funny as an austere nanny. Otherwise, this one is pretty mediocre. 2 stars.

tl;dr – couple of good performances, one horrible one and a very uninspiring climax. 2 stars.

I've just got three episodes of this left and, frankly, much as I've enjoyed two or three of the episodes, I'm going to mostly be glad to move on to something else.

4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Dark s1 e2
    German paranormal thriller about missing kids. So far it's kind of like a cross between Broadchurch and Stranger Things. The acting is good, the plot is interesting, I'm definitely continuing in the hope that it all just doesn't fall apart at the end.

Incidentally, when I first started episode 1 it had no subtitles until it got past the titles; this must be a quirk of the way my box streams because they were there when I checked back after watching episode 2. I think this might be because often when I start watching a show on Netflix it starts off in low-rez before pulling itself together after a minute or so. So if you have the same problem, keep with it in the hope the subtitles turn up.

5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Final Episode of Godless

I wouldn't call it binge-worthy, but the final episode delivers. Jeff Daniels gives the performance of his career throughout this series. It's a better Westworld with fewer robots.

tom likes this.
  6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i am four episodes in and enjoying it so far.

7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    finished Future Man , it was really good fun , and the time travel made more sense than it does in that 12 Monkeys tv show .
    if you like Seth Rogen's brand of comedy I'd recommend it .

8. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015

The overall quality is good throughout, but the last two episodes pull it all together nicely. It is a mostly superb genre miniseries.

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Cribb: The Choir That Wouldn’t Sing (1981) – Mary McMurray

In this episode, a village choir closes ranks and refuses to talk when one of their members mysteriously turns up dead. This episode was pretty bad. I did like just how infuriating the choir was in its arrogance and silence. It made the moment when Cribb turns the tables on them at the end and reveals the guilty parties really satisfying. But pretty stupid plot sinks this one. 1 star.

tl;dr – satisfying conclusion, but this episode is very labored and strange. 1 star.

10. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Vikings Season 5 Episode 1 and 2.

Excellent kick off for this show now that new players are on the board.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Started watching Glitch last night. Finally, TV drama is starting to address the age old question of what you do when your beloved wife returns from the dead, but you've remarried, with a baby on the way. Dilemma? Yes. Yes it is.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Cribb: Murder Old Boy? (1981) – George Spenton-Foster

This episode sees Cribb’s superior, Inspector Jowett, returning to his old school for a reunion that turns out to go pretty poorly. David Waller has always been fun as Jowett and getting to really take center stage for this episode gives him the chance to really cut loose and he’s really funny. This has some amusing bits involving Jowett’s old classmates. The murder plot takes a really long time to arrive and so it’s over almost as soon as it’s begun. Better than average episode, but still nothing too great. 2 ½ stars.

tl;dr – David Waller takes center stage with a very funny performance; some nice comedic bits, but a disappointing plot. 2 ½ stars.

13. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Slowly making my way through the second season of The Crown. Great stuff. Almost makes you believe in the monarchy shtick the Imperials like to throw around.

Yoda's_Roomate and ReyPrescott like this.
  14. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    San Junipero - Black Mirror

Everyone was raving about it and i thought it was great, the eras were all on point style wise and the music was amazing, especially "Heaven is a place on earth". I've had that on repeat all morning.

Yorkies awkwardness was hilarious... The constant slouching over :p .

15. Kyber Acyk

Kyber Acyk Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2017
    M*A*S*H: Goodbye, Farewell and Amen (1983) - Alan Alda

The series finale of M*AS*H follows the 4077th during the final days of the Korean War. It is a very emotionally-packed episode and has many dramatic moments mixed in for good measure. There are many scenes that pulled on my heartstrings, but the final scenes of where Hawkeye, B.J., Charles Winchester III, Hot Lips, Colonel Potter and the others are saying goodbye to one another is what really got me. The last scene of where B.J. spelt out 'GOODBYE" in white stones from the helicopter landing pad while Hawkeye leaves on a helicopter to head back home to the United States was the perfect way to end the series I feel.

16. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Finished watching Dark, a really good series and highly recommendable. At first glance it looks like a German version of Stranger Things but half way through it feels more like Twin Peaks meets Back to the Future, although unlike in BttF, the time travel is going all in on causal loops. Only complaint I have is the large cast, hard to keep track on who's who and its made worse because there is usually two or three different actors playing the same person.

17. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The Tunnel: Vengeance Third and (supposedly) final season of the Anglo French crime drama set around Dover, the channel tunnel and Calais. I really enjoyed the first 2 series, which both had enough tension, drama and meanness to keep me hooked which I probably haven't felt for 15 years since the Messiah series ended here in the UK.

Based on the Scandinavian crime drama The Bridge, this third series follows the same basic premise of the first 2 in that an English detective has to team up with his French counterpart, this time to investigate a series of disappearances and murders relating to a missing boy from the Bosnian war. This leads to the discovery of a French boy previously thought murdered by his father and the reopening of that case.

Overall it had good performances, espcieally from the 2 leads again and at only 6 episodes long it didn't out stay its welcome and rattled along at a nice pace (the previous series were 10 & 8 episodes respectively). The story was interesting although I think this was probably the weakest of the 3 series so far in that respect and I was a little confused by the killers motives. Worth a watch though as its currently on Sky TV.

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Cribb: Invitation to a Dynamite Party (1981) – Alan Grint

For an episode about explosions, this final episode of the series sends Sergeant Cribb out with a fizzle. The show does try to shake things up a bit by taking Cribb out of his usual stomping grounds and sending him undercover in the IRA, but it’s mostly for naught. The ending especially is ridiculous as what is apparently supposed to be a nailbiting race against the clock just becomes tiresome and silly. I liked a lot of Cribb, but, all things considered, I’m glad to have the series behind me. 2 stars.

tl;dr – final episode of Cribb tries to shake things up a bit, but the series has spent itself and this one has no steam left. 2 stars.

19. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Bizarre Foods Delicious Destinations: Zurich. Confession, I had no idea the Swiss were so into cheese. No, really.

20. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Punisher Ep. 8

This series is awesome!

Master_Rebado likes this.
  21. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    The Crown Season 2 Episode 7 to 10.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i finished "the get down". the show kind of falls off the rails in part 2 of season 1, but i still enjoyed all the musical parts. also i didn't realize it was originally intended to have more seasons and that it was cancelled, so the ending was extremely unsatisfying.

23. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Peaky Blinders S4 Ep.2

WOW! This season is awesome!