main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Yeah I’ve got sky, just never seen it until I spotted it in the box sets.

2. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Just watched an episode of The Big Bang Theory. It was an episode where Sara Gilbert was the guest star.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  4. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    Last Man Standing

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

Significant Mother: Welcome to Bonetown
    (2015) – John Putch, Tripp Reed

The basic premise of this sitcom is that the main character is a nebbish who finds out his jock best friend has hooked up with the nebbish’s newly divorced mom. Coming up with the fantastic title for this premise apparently exhausted everyone’s comedic talents because this is just painful. Josh Zuckerman is really bad in the lead role and Nate Buzolic is pretty terrible as the best friend. There’s comedy here for a one-off, but in order for the show to keep going, it has to convince us that the mom and the best friend are actually falling in love and want a serious relationship, which is about the dumbest thing ever. This was really dire. 1 star.

tl;dr – coming up with the great premise/title exhausted all the comedic abilities of all concerned apparently; dire, unfunny comedy pilot is a real slog. 1 star.

6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Potential Spoilers...

I've watched a lot of TV this week and it's only Wednesday.

Family Guy
    S15 E8: I'm not sure why I still watch this show as it's been very hit or miss, but I guess it's those hits that keep me coming back even though they are very few and far between. Unfortunately, this episode was another miss as it was a Sherlock Holmes homage that very much borrow from the movie starring Robert Downey Jr. The episode also tried to make jokes about how meta it was, but it just came off more annoying and sad. "Enjoying these old-timey jokes? Look, we're really trying!" No, you're not.

Homeland S7 E7: With 12 episodes each season, I remind myself to be patient as the big surprises won't pop up until later in the season and this was a good episode with a lot of big punches in the gut for our players. Unfortunately, the real victim in these episodes have been Franny, who I wouldn't be surprised if she grew up to be a serial killer. She really shouldn't be with Carrie and based on the previews, I actually agree with what her sister is about to do. Other than that, everyone is getting what they deserve and nothing is easy - just like real life!

Billions
    S3 E1: I love this show and I really need to make it a habit to watch last year's season finale prior to starting a new season. The recaps before the show aren't enough and I was kind of lost on certain relationships. I highly recommend this show if you haven't watched it yet. Damien Lewis and Paul Giamatti are fantastic.

The Walking Dead S8 E13: Only three more episodes left this season to hate watch and I'm actually excited to delete this series recording from my DVR. I just don't care anymore and the people on these shows keep making the worst possible decisions. Characters like Carol and Tara are so inconsistent and poorly written and very poorly acted, yet both are given more screen time than people we care about Rick or Negan. This show is lost and I'm getting off the train. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

The Last Man on Earth S4 E12: I'm not really sure where this show is going, but it's not as good as it once was. Since it's only 22 minutes, it's not a huge commitment, but it's falling into the same problem as I mentioned above with Family Guy.

DC's Legends of Tomorrow S3 E16: A very odd episode but they're all kind of odd, which makes them interesting to watch.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine S1 Eps 1 & 2: I know I'm late to the party since this show is in its 5th season, but I just heard from an old interview with Terry Crews that this
    show comes from the same group that did Parks & Rec. Since I loved that show, and SNL has been crap since Andy Samberg and friends left, I decided to give it a shot and I'm happy to report that I loved it. I will definitely be watching this in my leisure and catching up.

Roseanne S10 Eps 1 & 2: I posted my thoughts in the Roseanne thread, but in summary, it wasn't too bad. I don't typically watch shows with laugh tracks, but my wife wanted to watch so I mostly paid attention. It was 10x better than Fuller House.

Tonight: Ready Player One so no TV watching will be had

On my Watch List for the rest of the week:
    The Mick, Modern Family, Arrow, and more Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Thinking about watching eventually:
    Barry, The Goldbergs

Honorable Mentions:
    Netflix
    Voltron: Legendary Defender - be about it. So good!
    Jessica Jones - Season 2 - gave up after 2 episodes

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    Last night I watched Roseanne, both episodes. It wasn't great, but it was worth watching.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  8. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    episode 4 of Counterpart on Starz. JK Simmons taking a virtuosic victory lap with a clever if not particularly groundbreaking sci fi high concept. Olivia Williams is also grand in everything she does.

9. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    X-Files Season 11 episodes 4, 5 & 6 Typical X-Files really. Episode 4 The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat is probably the X-Files at my least favourite, where they are essentially taking the piss out of themselves with some quirky storyline. Episode 5 Ghouli was much better with them finding their son with his abillity to make people think they are seeing something else. Episode 6 Kitten I really enjoyed, Skinner disappears to find an ex-Vietnam buddy who was exposed to an experiemental gas in the war that turned him in to a killer. This has an eerie monster in the woods feel with a guest appearance from the lad from the Sixth Sense.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Walker Texas Ranger: "Winds of Change" and "Lazarus"

First two episodes of a four-part story arc: Walker and company must track down a hacker and his boss when undercover federal agents are discovered and killed. Michael Ironside stars as the main villain, known as "The Chairman."

Juliet316 and Juke Skywalker like this.
  11. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Not sure if it counts but I re-watched the first two "Wallace and Gromit" film shorts, A Grand Day Out and The Wrong Trousers courtesy of Amazon Prime. It's really hard not to appreciate how much effort the creators placed into making these shorts; and of course later on they released a handful of films (with a new one coming soon).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Dagobahsystem likes this.
  12. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    The Mick Season 2 finale - what an odd way to end a season for a comedy. It'll probably get renewed since Fox (and FX) love Kaitlin Olson. Alba is definitely the best character though.

Corporate: S1 E5, E6, & E7 - if you haven't seen it the show follows two executives in training where one kind of gives a **** and the other doesn't at all trying to navigate the corporate world with bosses that care too much. It definitely has an Office Space feel, with some clever writing sprinkled in that adds to the humor. It can be a little over the top at times while at the same time, the characters seemingly don't care about what's happening and have that just go with it attitude, but there is a slight charm to it. There are only 10 episodes and the wife and I caught episode 9 a few weeks ago, so we found the others on demand and have been watching it sporadically. Not sure if this will get renewed, but I'm am ready for some more Detroiters!

13. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Krypton S1 E3.

Iron_lord and Juke Skywalker like this.
  14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Legion S2/E1. Best show nobody ever talks about.

15. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    The current buzz in my group of friends is Ozark, Barry, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and The Man in the High Castle. Of course, we were all talking Rick and Morty after the recent April Fool's episode.

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i was encouraged by the pilot of man in the high castle, but it seemed like that was where all their money went. the quality just dropped off so drastically from episode 2 on. i think i made it five or six episodes before bailing.

i just ordered legion season 1. been wanting to catch up on it for a while.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  17. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I've heard good things about Legion. I look forward to your opinion @tom

For those who have watched Legion, should I quit Supergirl (and not watch it when it comes back) and watch Legion instead?

18. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Legion is well worth a watch , but be prepared , imagine if Nic Roeg and Sid Barrettt created a superhero tv series ...

19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I depends: are you enjoying Supergirl? I've been watching it and it's okay. Nothing like Legion, though, so I'm not sure it's a case of one or the other.

I loved season 1 of Legion. It's a bit like The Prisoner (the surreal British 60's show), only with a lot more musical interludes and dancing. Episodes 2 and 3 slow things down so much you might be tempted to bail, but I'd recommend you hang on because it picks up again once they're out of David's head. Aubrey Plaza threatens to walk off with the show at times, which is an achievement considering Dan Stevens and Jemaine Clement give some fantastic performances.

Incidentally, having recently picked up the Blu-ray, the deleted scenes include a dance number from episode 1 which goes on for about five minutes.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  20. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Legends of Tomorrow . The cast continue to come and go , I don't really know what's going on anymore .

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    As @soitscometothis noted above, it depends if you enjoy Supergirl. I've been liking the overall arc of this season in which Kara has her Zod/Evil version of herself to do with. But with most of the CW superhero shows, it stretches things out over the course of a season of like 20 episodes.

Legion is wonderful; however, the first three or four episodes are very confusing and have caused people to quit the show. So, if you're able to hang around past that, it will payoff in the end.

After you watch the each episode of Legion, I recommend this "Cliffnotes" YouTube video to help your understanding.

soitscometothis likes this.
  22. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I could catch you up if you wanted to know.

Thanks for input everyone. Personally, I just feel that I'm outgrowing the CW shows and it seems that Legion is more adult? All the CW shows got renewed and I'm starting to lose interest especially when they expect you to care about these characters for 22 episodes * 44 minutes each year.

23. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    ok cheers , what's with Sarah and her demons ? and what's Dahrk supposed to be doing ?

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Legion is just bizarre visually and in story telling and I think is an acquired taste. The show also has a mature nature, which FX uses a disclaimer before every episode noting there's strong sexual content.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Sarah had troubles coming to gribs to her true nature, which is being assassin and a totem of death. She realizes that it's apart of her and accepts it. IIRC, she has sex with Constantine in the same episode.

Dahrk deal this season was to reunite with his daughter and take over the world. However, his daughter has been possessed by the demon known as Mallus. So he turned to the Legends for help to exercise the demon from his daughter which the Legends agreed to help. However, the night before Dahrk and the Legends where to exercise Mallus from the daughter, Dahrk visited the captured daughter/Mallus and Mallus tricked Dahrk to betray the Legends.
    Which leads up to the season finale next week.

gezvader28 and TiniTinyTony like this.