main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Impulse .

remember that film Jumper , seems very similar to that , maybe it's based on the same source .

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeeeessssss, get back into this series immediately! I'm about midway through season 8 on my rewatch right now, though, honestly, I saw very little of season 8 and, I think, none of season 9, so it's kind of not a rewatch at this point, just a straight watch. I'm finding a lot of season 8 to be unfairly maligned.

On this current watch through I had less of a strong reaction to Ice than I have had in the past, but maybe it's because it's one of the episodes I've seen the most. It was an easy one to pick for reruns, I reckon, because I feel like it was the episode that was one TV about every time I flipped through the channels and found an episode. It isn't the best of Season One in my opinion, not even the best stand-alone*, but it's very good and I'm not surprised to see it rated one of the highest.

Get used to seeing people before they were famous. Got gobsmacked in the middle of season four when RYAN REYNOLDS showed up in a tiny role in one episode; he's murdered gruesomely in the cold open which is kind of funny. That was something I'd totally forgotten about. Also, season six has an episode with Bryan Cranston as the guest star; episode was written by Vince Gilligan and is where the two first met. You start tracing back and The X-Files really was, as you say, years ahead of its time in terms of cinematic quality and storytelling and character building.

I definitely hope you get back into this show. I will absolutely be on hand with thoughts on every episode.

*I'd say that's Beyond the Sea; best alien related episode is probably E.B.E. Don't watch Beyond the Sea out of order though; it isn't specifically related to the overarching mythology at this point, but I think it comes at a good place in the series from a character standpoint. If you want another really strong stand-alone to kind of keep you rolling as you get back into the series, go with Eve, which is probably just behind Beyond the Sea in my opinion.

Dagobahsystem and Juke Skywalker like this.
  3. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    @Rogue1-and-a-half I'd meant to tag you in that post, but somehow forgot. I blame the ice parasites :p.

I'm flat-out awful @ staying on track w/these watches. I bought the complete series of the original Battlestar Galactica a few years ago, and I'm still one episode shy of finishing it. And it only ran one season! Similarly Star Trek: TOS sits here maybe half watched. Knight Rider the complete series and Airwolf the complete series (both childhood favs) sit here unopened. Heck, I haven't even finished S1 of Miami Vice, and it's my favorite show of all-time.

But I promise to dig deeper into the X-Files, and when I do, you'll get tagged (provided I'm not once again waylaid by ice parasites). When I do, I think I'm just gonna watch them in order so as not to accidently screw up the myth building. I think I also made a mistake cherry picking my way through Trek, and now I have a lot of "Meh" and "Eeeee" episodes awaiting me.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Watched the 3rd episode of James Cameron’s Story of Science Fiction series. This one covers monsters as the topic (so more Spielberg and Del Toro, no Lucas) and, even though it aired 43 days ago, this is probably the perfect time to watch it given events of the past week or so.

Not only does it feature Jurassic Park heavily and namecheck Westworld, but also includes one participants observation that “monsters who threaten children are particularly terrifying because it triggers this response in humans to protect the young.”

That has been a weird thing throughout my Trek viewing as well on top of all one's old and new crushes being framed by "remember that this aired 30 years ago". It also blurs the lines more since so many more notable actors took cameos and supporting roles either because they were Trek fans or simply because of how hot a property TNG was at its peak; all mixed in with other future big names before they broke out.

It is. It's a sequel (though not directly connected to the film version, AFAIK).

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The final two episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation, titled "All Good Things" which influenced Avengers recent films.

The Last Defense S01EP03: The continuation of the trial of Darlie Routier, in which the prosecution uses "character assassination" to paint the picture that Darlie is a bad mom and egotistical and therefore killed her two kids. I thought it was interesting that Texas law doesn't require to the prosecution to provide motive in a homicide case.

Big Brother S20EP01: Another pretty cast of contestants. And as usual, it starts off with everyone being friendly and trying to make alliances.

7. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Cagney & Lacey S2 Ep8 A show from my childhood that I absolutely loved to watch, it was a treat to be staying up til past 11 watching this on late night BBC1 showings on a school night. I haven’t watched any of these episodes since they first aired back in the 80s and I spotted this on one of the Sky channels and gave it a go. Cagney and Lacey are helping a detective (Stevens) to bring down a black market gun selling racket. But as with many episodes of this show a more relevant harder hitting storyline is going on too, as detective Stevens has been the talk of the precinct because pictures of him posing naked in a gay magazine are doing the rounds. Cue homophobia from his colleagues and an impending suspension from the force to boot. This show is just as I remembered, instantly the theme tune took me back 35 years, the characters are all played really well and not just the main leads, the camaraderie is evident throughout. Great show. So much so I’ve put this on series record now.

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Ducktales JAW$. Solid episode. Scrooge looked like he was almost in pain as everyone took his money.

Big Hero 6. Issue 188. Funny episode. Richardson Mole must really hate Fred to have an entire basement full of Fred-theme video games.

Juke Skywalker and Juliet316 like this.
  9. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Star Trek: The Next Generation - All Good Things...

Which means my TNG re-watch is complete.

DS9 is next but after I finish with Luke Cage.

10. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    An episode of Colombo.

11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Frasier S1E2 - not at good as the pilot but still enjoyable. The writers were definitely focusing on the "Dad and Daphne moving in and uprooting Frasier life" jokes which makes sense, but if you didn't love Frasier in Cheers, then he just kind of comes off as an *** ****. I'm sure it's just par for the course for a new show. If I recall correctly, they eventually move past those jokes and the writers have a bit more fun with the characters and their dynamic. I do like the apartment, radio studio, coffee place set rotation.

Side note: I think I was watching some Brooklyn Nine Nine behind the scenes video, or maybe The Office and they were chatting with some of the writers. The writers admitted that they don't know what an actor is going to do with their character that has been written in the script. So after the writers see the actor perform their character it kind of becomes easier for the writer to write for that actor and their character.

Nailed It S2 E2-3 - Cooking show on Netflix where three average joes have to recreate Pinterest-esque creations. It's pretty hilarious what they come up with sometimes. Nicole Byer hosts and she can be pretty funny sometimes. Her co-host Jacques Torres is an expert and he helps ground the show otherwise it would just be complete shenanigans. He can actually be pretty funny sometimes as well. Also to keep each episode fresh, a third "celebrity" guest judge is brought in. It definitely a cooking show that doesn't take itself seriously which is what makes it interesting. S1 has 6 episodes and S2 has 7. Don't tell my wife I said so, but it's definitely worth a watch. ;)

Juliet316 and Juke Skywalker like this.
  12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Star Trek: The Next Generation "Deja Q": While the Enterprise tries to deal with a moon that is about to strike a planet, they also have to deal with Q, who is stranded on their ship, stripped of his powers.

Juke Skywalker and Juliet316 like this.
  13. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    *obligatory*

:p

Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  14. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I liked the exchange between Worf and Q:

[​IMG]

:p

Juliet316 and Chancellor_Ewok like this.
  15. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I’d forgotten about that one. That was also really funny.

[face_laugh]

PCCViking likes this.
  16. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Just watched two episodes of Bewitched on DVD: Darrin meets Uncle Arthur, and Samantha starts losing her powers after exposure to a black Peruvian rose.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Okay, so I finished The Blue Planet on Blu-Ray. The sequel just came out earlier this year and it promises even more stunning footage since it's now in 4K and camera technology has had an additional fifteen years to develop since the original series was filmed. I just want to say that this Blu-ray set is amazing. Here's what you get.

The following are actual episodes of the show and are all around fifty minutes:

Ocean World - a well-rounded look at the ocean as a whole
    The Deep - the dark depths of the sea and the weird creatures that live there
    Open Ocean - the vast "deserts" of the ocean between landmasses
    Frozen Seas - the Arctic & Antarctic
    Seasonal Seas - the temperate zone of the ocean which changes radically with the changing of seasons
    Coral Seas - the habitat and life that surrounds coral reefs
    Tidal Seas - tidal marshes and the battle for life that goes on there
    [Coasts - the fish, birds and animals that inhabit the places where land and sea meet

The ninth episode of the series is a bit different; and it's right around an hour:

Deep Trouble - a look at pollution, overfishing and the other havoc humanity is wreaking on the seas

The tenth episode is about eighty minutes, but it's broken up into two forty minute chunks, one on each of the first two blu-rays of the set

Making Waves - a behind the scenes look at the lengths the documentary filmmakers went to capture the amazing footage with ten minutes or so spent on each of the main eight episodes of the series

On disc three, there are numerous bonus features:

There are two episodes of a series called Being There; these both run about thirty minutes:

Between the Tides - a look at the tidal marshes on England's coasts
    Antarctica - a history of the expeditions to reach the pole

Then there are two stand-alone documentaries that are both an hour:

Dive to Shark Volcano - an expedition to capture eight different shark species on camera as they swarm around Cocos Island, an extinct volcano
    Amazon Abyss - an expedition to dive into areas of the Amazon River where no one has ever filmed before

I'm just going to say that you need this set in your life. It's breath-taking. I'd say there's a jaw-dropping moment every fifteen minutes or so in terms of some amazing fact you've never heard or some gorgeous image of pure beauty or a sequence of natural behavior that you've never seen before. And those are just the best bits; the shows are consistently cool and interesting. You get around twelve hours of some of the most stunning nature footage you're likely to find from the team that ended up giving us both of the Planet Earth series. Those are essential and so is this one. And it's twelve hours which you can get for twenty dollars or so from Amazon on Blu-ray. I really wish I could express to you how awesome both the series itself and the four bonus documentaries are. This is just astonishing television. I got this to watch before I see Blue Planet II, just because I didn't want to see that one and then not be able to go back to this one because the quality here is poorer or something. But I think the image quality here is fantastic really; a lot of people on Amazon grouse about it, but I think they're crazy. This television series is just amazing and I sign off on all the bonus features; in fact Amazon Abyss might be my favorite thing on the set just because it's so incredibly different from any diving I've seen before. Anyway, yeah, get this. Just get it.

tom and Dagobahsystem like this.
  18. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    @Rogue1-and-a-half

Nice review.

The Blue Planet is one of my all time favorite series. I've owned it on DVD since about 2009 and have watched it over and over again, including the special features.
    Words can't even describe how awesome The Blue Planet is; I've been meaning to upgrade to blu ray for some time.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Some of the people on Amazon say that the Blu-ray isn't really a substantial increase in visual quality over the DVD. I wouldn't know about that, but it looks great to me. I still decided to go with the Blu-ray set when I purchased it, in spite of some of those comments. Anyway, you might research to see if an upgrade is something to prioritize on this one or not. But, yeah, it's just great. Does the DVD set have the same bonus features or different ones?

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  20. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into that. The DVDs do look great, I gotta say.

It has Deep Trouble and Making Waves as separate featurettes on each of the four discs. Each DVD has two episodes, narrated by David Attenborough. Also interviews with camera operators and researchers.

Sounds like the blu ray has more xtras.

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, yeah, forgot to mention that the Blu-ray is also the Attenborough narrated version. Apparently, Pierce Brosnan narrated the American version of the series. But always go for the Attenborough. It looks like Amazon Abyss was actually a longer series with five half-hour episodes and it was apparently edited down to a bit over an hour for inclusion on this set. You can see the original episodes on YouTube, looks like. I'd recommend watching those for sure if you decide not to upgrade your whole set. It's really great. It's just so weird; the water is so dirty and murky and it's like a nightmare down there. I won't spoil it, but the best bit is when they encounter these rare dolphins, which I didn't even know lived in the Amazon.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  22. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Cool. I'll compare notes between my DVDs and YouTube. I do remember the bit about those rare dolphins though.

There is also a version narrated by Sigourney Weaver. I've always wanted to see that one too. But yeah, Attenborough is the best, no doubt.

23. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Star Trek: The Next Generation "Best of Both Worlds Part 1 & 2:" The Borg finally make their move, assimilating Picard in an attempt to attack and assimilate Earth. These episodes also establish a Star Trek tradition of a season-ending cliffhanger that will only be resolved in the season premiere of the following year.

24. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    I'm currently watching The Twilight Zone marathon on the tele.

They are showing some excellent episodes.

The Obsolete Man
    The Masks
    The Silence
    Nothing In The Dark
    The Invaders

The themes in these episodes hold up now more than ever. The actors all do an outstanding job and the stories are suspenseful. The Twilight Zone has to be one of the best shows in television history.

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Preacher season 3 episode 2. I just knew he was not going to get that piece of soul back. I watch this show and think it's kind of what a Hellblazer show could have been like.