main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    So, not an episode per se, but Cinemax has started releasing production teasers from the final season of everyone's favorite British Defense Intelligence Service operatives, the merry blokes from Strike Back:

[​IMG]

Looks like it takes place in Budapest and Bangkok, and doesn't look like it is going to disappoint. Ender Sai

Ender Sai likes this.
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Series premiere of Merlin on Netflix.

3. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    girls, the new one.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Not all of these watched on the same day, but over the course of last week...

Black-ish: Big Night, Big Fight... even with rather standard sitcom tropes -husband & wife verbally fight on Valentine's Day!-, there's enough humor there (I especially liked Dre's -played by Anthony Anderson- two script/movie ideas: Hoodfellas & Hood Will Hunting) to save this episode; the B-plot, one focusing on a youngest daughter's mean streak, was a much better plot the main focus on the tension & eventual making-up by Anthony Anderson & Tracee Ellis Ross.

Fresh Off The Boat: The Shunning/Success Perm... two niiiiicely done episodes, particularly the 1st one here, in which Constance Wu's characters bonds with a neighbor over Stephen King; though Success Perm suffers from a bout of Family Conflictirtis (that's obviously resolved by the end of the episode), there's still some rather good stuff there: Eddie's disappointment that a cousin of his has abandoned hip-hop for grunge, and the 2 mothers (of Eddie's parents) bonding over coverage of the O.J. Simpson (murder) trial.

The Goldbergs: Cowboy Country... Adam has trouble with the fact that his girlfriend has hit puberty, while he remains a diminutive kid. This leads to a few funny scenes, in particular when Adam climbs up on water tower to spray paint a message to his boo, but runs out of paint before he can finish; the subplot features his father getting-to-know the father of his brother Barry's girlfriend, who ends up being a Dallas Cowboys fan (does the episode tell us that this man might have been from Dallas -this show is set in Philly-, or bother to mention another reason why a Philly resident would be rooting for their rivals? Of course not)... this naturally presents a problem for Barry/Adam's father, being the die hard (Philadelphia) Eagles fan that he is. More obvious jokes/tropes abound, but Garlin's performance as the father makes that tolerable.

Law & Order: SVU- Intimidation Game... in case you were wondering, waiting for SVU to handle Gamergate, the wait is over! This episode was pure L&O gold: terrible one-liners (questionably an assault victim says her attackers "leveled up"; one of the detectives -I want to say it was Ice-T, but I can't be definitive with that claim- mentions that "real life doesn't have a reset button", a relevant ripped-from-the-headline plot, and a character (in this one, Hargitay's Detective Benson) who has little-to-no-idea about the culture (video games) to which the episode is largely about. The iffy/exploitative elements some have argued about this episode (and thus, making it a terrible watch in their opinion) -in particular the latter half of the episode, in which the main protagonist/victim (a female video game developer) is kidnapped and assaulted by a group of despicable gamer men- aren't unique to this story, but rather is a staple of this franchise. It's Law & Order, after all... couldn't have a sickening story with over-the-top elements.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    SG-1 Season 9 Babylon

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I remember the days when L&O would do a "ripped from the headlines" episode and actually have some insights. Those days are long over.

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
  8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Rogue1-and-a-half

The "highlights", in all of its terrible glory.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  9. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Comic Book Men

10. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Booze Traveller - Belize. I do not drink but this show is fascinating.

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    SG-1 Season 9 Prototype and The Fourth Horseman Part 1

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Goldbergs.

13. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Sopranos - season five finale

14. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    first episode of better call Saul so I don't wanna visit the thread yet

Darth Punk likes this.
  15. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Hurry up. We need more participation.

Me- the latest ep of BCS

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    SG-1 Season 9 The Fourth Horseman Part 2 and Collateral Damage

17. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Experiencing the 8 seasons of Entourage, time dependent on how many episodes I'm able to watch, but probably 2 a night, give or take. I missed this the first time around and decided to check it out because of the upcoming movie. When it was on the air, it just didn't seem interesting, but I didn't know very much about it.

I have to say, this is probably one of the most well written and well acted shows I have seen in a long time. The main characters are perfect in their roles, and the satire against Hollywood is top notch. But most of all, Jeremy Piven steals the show with his portrayal of Ari Gold, based on real life Hollywood agent Ari Emanuel, brother of Rahm Emanuel.

There's one scene when Piven's character has to crash a beach party and put a upstart in his place. Piven's timing and delivery of his lines in that scene should be entered into the Library of Congress under "this is how you steal a scene:"

The clip, with bad words intact, so NSFW:

Ender Sai likes this.
  18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    The Americans - Dimebag. I really like Phil's character, but last night's 'hit' was pervy in all the wrong ways.

[face_sick]

I do wish they'd get on with Paige's subplot already and get her to the KGB on time.

And tonight, Vikings. (Hopes Rollo gets a much better arc this season.)

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    He was well aware of that. Did you see the look on his face at the end?

Oh well, he's just going to feel even more dead inside.

20. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Smiley's People, episode 6

Wonderfully laid back on the pacing, and the music is great.

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    SG-1 Season 9. Ripple Effect and Stronghold

22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

Yup. The ironies and mirrors on this show are amazing.

And I just finished watching

Vikings season 3, episode 1 (Mercenary.)

Not bad.

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    SG-1 Season 9 Ethon and Off the Grid

24. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    I approve of your watching choices Chancellor.

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Thank you. I've been bingeing Stargate for the past five months and I am almost finished. :D

Thuro likes this.