main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    A Sunny Day in the Void - Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Season 5

2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Gotham: S1, Ep. 4 "Arkham" (2014) - Gotham has a great hook. I never was able to get into Smallville because quite frankly I didn't think the childhood of Clark Kent really merited a weekly series, let alone one that ran a decade (that was some childhood). Apparently I was wrong--at least according to popular opinion. But Gotham, which similarly takes a look at a familiar world before its hero comes on stage, is naturally more intriguing. Putting the pieces of Batman's rogue's gallery into place, setting up the infamous city's history and politics. In theory I shouldn't be marking time until Bruce Wayne is old enough to don the cape and cowl. And I'm not... yet.

No, so far I'm enjoying my stay in Gotham. I love the look of the series, and the city itself is already becoming a character (something that never happened for me in the Nolan films, even though I consider them classics). I also like the cast. Ben McKenzie takes what could be the show's least interesting character and makes him the one section of stable turf we cling to, just as it should be. His Gordon is certainly rock-ribbed, but he's no stiff. He and partner Donal Logue have great chemistry, and Robin Lord Taylor's Oswald Cobblepot has quickly become my favorite character.

This week they're all dropped into a fairly paint by numbers episode focusing on the mob turf war in the city, with Cobblepot's meticulous rise to power factoring in as well. It's solid enough, but it never really fires on all cylinders. I also continue to find the Jim/Barbara domestic drama less interesting than it seems to think it is.

There are some good moments here, and some track for the future is laid, but as a stand alone episode it underwhelms. - 6/10

3. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    Game of Thrones: Season 6, Episode 1 (The Red Woman)

Off to a great start! [face_hypnotized]

Master_Rebado likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Tried watching the latest Gotham episode. Why do people watch this garbage? Why is Supergirl watchable compared to this?

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  5. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Arrow Season 4 Episode 17,not really inspiring stuff @ the moment,show feels like it's going through slow motions.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Live Free or Die - Breaking Bad - Season 5

7. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    The Big Bang Theory
    Game of Thrones

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the sixties episode about the space race. it was really good, despite being a thing i already mostly knew about.

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Missing in Action - Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Season 5

Point of No Return - Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Season 5

10. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Gotham: S1, Ep. 5 "Viper" (2014) - Thankfully the titular "Viper" in question wasn't some c-list wannabe Bat-villain, but a deadly drug. Some of the effects of the drug were a tad over the top given the (slightly) more grounded approach to the material here thus far, but like all of the plot devices so far it isn't some isolated one-off, but something with connections to the larger story.

There was some nice work here from Jada Pinkett-Smith as Fish Mooney. I think she's gotten better each episode, and she's particularly strong here. Smart, tough, seductive... a tad scary. I also thought they handled the continuing growth of Bruce Wayne well here; particularly as it relates to he and Alfred. Bruce is already showing the almost obsessive drive to find out who murdered his parents and to rid Gotham of its apathy towards crime and corruption, but to this point Alfred had seemed reluctant to encourage him. But by the end of the episode he's been bitten by the bug and the foundation for the partnership that will be is starting to be built. - 7/10

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Madrigal - Breaking Bad - Season 5

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Eminence - Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Season 5

13. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Gotham: S1, Ep. 6 "Spirit of the Goat" (2014) - There's an old saying that goes "Don't judge a book by its cover.". Good advice. It also applies to titles. The title "Spirit of the Goat" didn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence when I read it, but by episode's end it turned out to be the best yet. Setting aside the mafia machinations, the focus here is on a serial killer with a link to Harvey Bullock's past. We get a nice focus on Bullock in this ep., with a glimpse at his younger self, before he became cynical and jaded. In the present day, a potential copy cat of an old case sees Harvey get his mojo back. Donal Logue continues to shine as the rumpled Bullock, and this episode peels back the layers just enough to glimpse the man beneath the cheap suit.

The other storyline sees the noose tighten around Gordon's neck as an earlier incident comes back to haunt him. The two endings, with the serial killer twist and the ta-da! surrounding Gordon's story left me with mixed feelings, but overall this was a tight, atmospheric episode with some really nice performances (special kudos to the great Dan Hedaya as Bullock's old partner). - 8/10

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  14. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    New Girl: Season 5, Episode 17 (Road Trip)

Hands down the best episode of the season, one of the best of the show. Schmidt is just KING. ^:)^

15. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    The Big Bang Theory

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Green Hornet #24 - thankfully, Bruce Lee went onto much better things. Although it was fun to see him deliberately holding back when he kicked a stunt man etc.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Hazard Pay - Breaking Bad - Season 5

Shades of Reason - Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Season 5

The Lawless - Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Season 5

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  19. zisme

zisme Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2016
    Daredevil, Season 1, Ep. 13

looking forward to season 2!

20. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Gotham: S1, Ep. 7 "Penguin's Umbrella" (2014) - Dovetailing back into the crime family plot, things finally come to a (temporary) head here. Gordon has been a dead man walking for a while now, and with the air clear he's free to finally push back--and push back he does. Though he's surrounded by more colorful characters, the soul of the show continues to be Ben McKenzie's Jim Gordon. We need that rock to anchor us, and he does a very good job of that. Also worth noting is John Doman's excellent turn Carmine Falcone. His old school Mafioso is in sharp contrast to his peers, but those who have questioned his grip on his empire are about to find that they've underestimated him. Big time. There's an "OMG!" twist at the end that will certainly change the way I view Mr. Falcone moving forward.

Coming off of what had been the season's strongest episode, "Penguin's Umbrella" manages to top it and set the stage for some potentially intriguing drama to come. - 8.5/10

21. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I'm a little surprised that, while they managed to make the deals and release "Batman" on DVD, they haven't done the same for "The Green Hornet". Not a non-bootleg release, anyway.

Oh, and the last episode I saw was an episode of "Too Cute" featuring kittens.

Master_Lok likes this.
  22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Fifty-One - Breaking Bad - Season 5

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Sabotage - Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Season 5

24. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Gotham: S1, Ep. 8 "The Mask" (2014) - The main plot of "The Mask" (a company with sadistic CEO who forces his new hires to fight--literally--for their positions) is a tad ridiculous. Particularly on its face. That it actually manages to still entertain is a testament to the talents of those both in front of and behind the camera. But what lifts this episode above your standard filler are the smaller stories taking place within it.

Bruce finally goes back to school, and it's here, away from the confines of home, that he takes his first real steps towards his destiny. Young David Mazouz gets to stretch his wings a bit here (no pun intended) and acquits himself quite well. Also excellent is Sean Pertwee as Alfred. This is a different take on the character than what we've seen in the past, and I really like it. This is an Alfred that you do not want to cross.

The Penguin's journey also continues, with Robin Lord Taylor doing an exceptional job in the way the character has evolved during his climb through the criminal ranks.
    Along with the developing bromance between Gordon and Bullock, and the machinations of Fish Mooney (the icily seductive Jada Pinkett-Smith) this is an episode where the smaller pieces prove to be far more interesting than the main story. - 7.5/10

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Nature "India's Wandering Lions," about the last of the Asiatic lions who reside exclusively in Gujarat. The government and the locals are incredibly tolerant of them, not reacting with irrational fear when the cats wander through villages and not killing them for hunting livestock. The team assigned to monitor the lions even released a lioness who killed a man in order to protect her cubs (she would have been "destroyed" if she had killed him for food). I wish that whatever caused this tolerance could be taught to Americans RE: North America's large predators such as wolves and bears... or to pretty much anyone who doesn't live in southern Gujarat.

Rogue1-and-a-half and tom like this.