main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming What was the last videogame you beat?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Siths_Revenge, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Just beat Journey. Although the game doesn't have any dialogue, narration or any sort of explanation as to what's going on, I still find it to be one of the deepest game experiences I've ever had, in terms of subject matter. It's a simple metaphor for life itself. Not bad for a simple two button game that is finished in two hours. If you have a PS3, you must play this. It's also beautiful visually.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  2. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    I beat Modern Warfare 3 the other day (not the first time, though)and actually just finished my first go through of Find Mii.

3. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Wii)
    Mortal Kombat Armageddon (Wii)

4. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    GTA V not got 100% yet though

Half way through GTA IV and still early doors on Skyrim

Still haven't finished any of the Prime series to my eternal shame

5. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Finished Brothers: A Tale of two Sons yesterday. A superb experience all around. Beautiful art design and presentation. Simple, yet brilliant and creative gameplay design, and a well-executed and moving narrative. This game is free for PS+ subscribers in Europe this month. I suggest you download it right away.

6. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I finished Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition last night. Now, on to Throne of Bhaal!

7. Veraan

Veraan Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2014
    The last game I beat was Shadow Warrior (2013).

Now I'm playing through Star Wars: Dark Forces for the first time and loving it.

8. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Republic Commando

9. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Finished Battlefield 4.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

10. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Heavy Rain.
    Boy, was it good! It's very slow to pick up the pace at the beginning, which discouraged me at first. I was bored. But as the story picked up and it started getting interesting, I was invested and kept playing solely to find out what happens next. I'd even say that if you're not playing for that reason, you shouldn't be playing it at all, and you probably won't. Because the mechanics are by no means the focus here. As a matter of fact, most of the actions you perform are rather mundane. The primary focus is on storytelling and gameplay comes second. It aims more to be an interactive movie than anything else, although your performance and choices still affect how the story progresses. If you can accept this, you are likely to have a good time. Speaking for myself, by the final hours of the game, I couldn't put it away and fought sleep to see how it all ends. If you like story-driven games, I highly recommend it.​

07jonesj and Darth-Lando like this.
  11. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Just finished Enslaved: Odyssey to the West on PS3. The game performs quite poorly on PS3 with significant frame rate drops. I don't know how it compares to the X360 and PC versions, but if you own multiple platforms, you should look into that before buying. Being as the game is now 4 years old, it should be quite cheap. It's an entertaining, if a bit repetitive, journey that is worth playing if you like action platformers. I would recommend it more on aesthetic grounds than on gameplay, though, as it doesn't really do anything remarkable or out of the ordinary, mechanics-wise. But it has great production values in terms of voice acting, performance capture and soundtrack; cinematic presentation and a gorgeous, vibrant art style. That's not to say that gameplay is boring. I had fun. But if you want combat to have any depth, remember to unlock counter and evasive moves early on, instead of spending upgrade points on health extensions like I did. I have to say, though, that I found the ending anti-climactic, although that might be because I took an extended break from the game near the end, not knowing that I would come back to it only to play the final chapter.

12. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    I finished Battlefield 4's campaign. Very meh.

13. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    Lego Marvel Superheroes. I bought Killzone Shadow Fall but I haven't beat it yet. Not a very exciting campaign.

14. AstroFan428

AstroFan428 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    Tomb Raider DE

Loved it, glad I didn't really play it last year so I could play the DE all the way through.

15. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    Fable Anniversary. I'm still missing 1 silver key that doesn't seem to be at any of the spots it's supposed to be in though.

16. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Injustice: Gods Among Us. Story is good by fighting game standards, even if it is all an excuse to see every major DC character engage in a giant brawl. As someone who isn't big into the genre and can't be bothered to learn the combos of every character in a game, this is a really good option for a "casual" fan. Love the way that every character feels just like I'd expect from the comics.

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Star Ocean: The Last Hope.

Star Ocean games are generally all cut from the same cloth: decently fun, entertaining, not tremendously special, overhyped by their fans. This entry doesn't have the benefit of the last one, because even the fans saw through the facade this time, and what you're left with is a dull game most people should probably just avoid altogether. The combat and crafting, usually the draw in any Tri-Ace game, are pretty lackluster; the plot is meandering for half the game and then insufferable for the other half; the cliches are packed full to bursting; hard mode and various endings have to be unlocked because, according to Tri-Ace, I'm apparently going to want to play this again; the voice acting ranges from lackluster to bad; and for every good character there are two bad ones.

Still, despite only spending $5 on this one, I felt compelled to see it through to the end. I think it's because, ultimately, SO:TLH is like life itself - it kind of sucks, but has some good bits, and then it's over regardless. And just like in real life, you don't get to see half the endings if you don't use a strategy guide.

Or something.

Life likes this.
  18. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Kid Icarus: Uprising. I had a serious hand cramp afterward. :p

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Isn't that why it comes with a stand?

20. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Finished Heavy Rain one more time. This play through, I managed to get the best possible ending.

I must say it never ceases to amaze me the situations in which storytellers think it appropriate to have a love scene. Here I am, playing a character distraught with the abduction of his child, having to solve clues to find him and with only precious few hours left to spare before his son dies, and the game offers me to get it on with a journalist who chooses to aid him. I find it hard to believe that someone caught in such a situation would be in a state of mind to even contemplate sex. But, apparently, that is the canonical narrative, as the scene is required to get the best possible ending.

It strikes me as implausible within the fiction itself, but also, outside the fiction, I feel it is tonally at odds with that point in the story where it appears. In sum, an odd creative choice.

Ramza likes this.
  21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I think in a single sentence you have encapsulated my feelings about everything David Cage has ever worked on.

Life likes this.
  22. Heavy Isotope

Heavy Isotope Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 10, 2013
    I finished the world tour in Forza 4 for the first time. I know, behind on the curve. Then started F1 2011 and rage quit. Haha

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Infinite Undiscovery

So... this was better than Star Ocean: TLH, but that's about as generous I can get. I didn't hate it as much, which, in a weird way, kind of made it more painful. Combat's fun but the tactical system is so lacking in nuance the Party AI borders on a liability. The dubbing is... legitimately terrible, and Squeenix couldn't be arsed to make the dialogue synch with lip movements. Consequently it's a bit like watching an old Godzilla movie with bizarre high fantasy shenanigans. The actual plot has some interesting moments, but is generally a bit lacking. Also, it was stupid easy to end up overlevelled. I killed the final boss without breaking a modicum of a sweat despite actively avoiding the grind.

Overall: I can't say I recommend it, but... I kind of loved it? In a strange way? There was a B movie charm to the whole proceeding, and when fights were satisfying it all clicked together somehow. It was a bit agonizing but I kept on trucking, somehow, impossibly. Apparently to see the most content you have to beat the game on unlockable higher difficulties. Thanks but... no thanks, I think.

24. Heavy Isotope

Heavy Isotope Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 10, 2013
    I just beat Papers, Please.

Ending 18 of 20. Woohoo!

I would definitely recommend it, although some of the scrutinizing of documents, the mechanic they have going for finding things out, can be clunky when you're trying to get through a lot in one day for the money. It's a good game to pick up and put down on a whim and even has a good but not too binding story.

Replay value, I guess if you want to see all 20 endings.... Haha

Life likes this.
  25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Injustice story mode