main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming What was the last videogame you beat?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Siths_Revenge, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Thomo93

Thomo93 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 27, 2015
    KOTOR 1 completed it countless time I love it :)

2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Game of the year... 2013? :p

3. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

Not if you're a PC gamer.

4. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Finished the story of Borderlands 2 last night. Unfortunately, I had ruined all the buildup for myself by going after Jack two levels below recommended, defeating Jack by the skin of my teeth and then continuously dying with no hope of victory against his "Warrior", two months ago before taking a hiatus from the game. When I returned to it last week, I began doing side missions to level up, so that I could stand a better chance. But then I had a bit too much fun doing that, so that I had levelled up to three levels above recommended by the time I went back to finish the story. Luckily, I suppose for most people, but unfortunately for me, I was not subjected to the entire script of the final mission over again, meaning that when I arrived there, I was back where I had left off; with Jack defeated and his Warrior wandering around the set. It rendered it a quite anticlimactic affair, even though it took me a while to defeat it.

5. Daltonio

Daltonio Jedi Padawan

Nov 20, 2015
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - Wow. When people told me the game was short, I had no idea they meant THAT short..

Deliveranze likes this.
  6. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Hahaha...probably Dragon Age: Inquisition.

7. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
    In some ways, no. 2 is the better game of the three, but the production values of the third one continue to push the envelope, with improved character animation and interaction with their surroundings, as well as the scripted spectacle moments upping the ante from the previous outing. The game features probably the best rendering of the movement and look of sand in any game I've seen to date, incredible water and wave simulation, and a sequence inside a cruise ship where the ship capsizes to its side in real time as you are manoeuvring around the level, forcing you to use the walls as floors, not to mention the highly advertised and now famous moment of you hanging out from behind an aeroplane. Or maybe I'm just easily impressed. This is a five years old game, after all. The narrative gives some background to Nathan and his relationship with Sully this time around, which was also neat. All in all, a very enjoyable experience. My only complaint is that Naughty Dog are terrible with "stealthy" sequences. The partner characters run around freely without being seen, for one thing, but apart from that the game just doesn't mechanically lend itself to it. This is an issue I also have with The Last of Us.

8. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Rise of the Tomb Raider. Considering all the accolades showered on this game upon release (possibly pity scores on account of what it was going up against?), I expected a lot more going in than what I got. First off, it's a very, very pretty game. I often found myself stopping and just slowly panning the camera around Lara to take in the gorgeous environments I was surrounded by. Even up close everything looks sleek and sharp, and the settings are varied enough that it never starts to feel stale (there is more than just snowy mountains here), which is an upgrade from the one note island where the first game was set.

Sadly, that's the only thing remarkable about this forgettable third-person shooter/platformer. The storyline is about as generic as they come, with Lara chasing down a mythical object that her late father once pursued, and constantly being targeted by an evil military organization with a decidedly dull and anticlimactic motivation. It's nothing you haven't seen before, with one-dimensional antagonists and allies abound. Even Lara Croft herself isn't all that compelling here (the damaged, vulnerable protagonist from the previous game is gone, replaced by an overly compassionate superhero). The gameplay shines during its extensive platforming segments, which are sadly few and far between. It too often devolves into the most generic third-person shooter you can imagine, and while a stealthy approach is possible early on, massive firefights soon become inevitable. There are Metroidvania inspired aspects to the gameplay, with areas and challenge tombs blocked off until you obtain a certain tool to help you progress further, but after finishing the main storyline I felt no compulsion whatsoever to return to these areas and discover what they have to offer. The open world didn't interest me at all, and I found the game to be stronger when I ignored everything but the next story objective (which I started to do about halfway through when I just wanted to get the whole thing over with).

So while it does improve on nearly every aspect over its predecessor, Rise of the Tomb Raider doesn't do much to separate itself from the rest of the playing field. And with the game's lackluster sales against other juggernaut franchises, I can only wonder with mild curiosity where the series will go from here.

9. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I can only assume that you view the Uncharted series as massively overrated. Generic storyline, one-dimensional antagonists and a wisecracking overly compassionate superhero protagonist are all staples of the Uncharted formula, not to mention generic third-person shooter mechanics. These games are supposed to be the gaming equivalent to breezy movies like The Mummy or Indiana Jones. There's no depth to Indiana Jones's villains. If I'm honest, there are not really many layers to Dr. Jones himself until the third film.

10. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Downloaded Super Star Wars off the playstation store wasn't as hard as I feared it would be....

11. Death_Jar_Jar

Death_Jar_Jar Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    I was gonna say demons souls but I forgot that I'm stuck on the final boss. Honestly I can't remember the last game I played all the way through... Maybe twilight princess.

Btw, if you guys havent played demons souls, you should. Personally I wasn't much into dark souls (the more popular one) but this one is truly a classic. I'm afraid it'll seem boring after i start playing its faster paced spiritual successor bloodborne, though.

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    You can thank the ridiculous timed exclusive with Xbox One for the lacklustre sales.

13. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Having only played Uncharted 2 years ago, I can still remember off the top of my head five characters that intrigued me and that I wanted to know more about. I don't think the overarching plot of those games is the main draw (at least from my understanding), but rather the personalities and relationships of the characters themselves that keep people invested. The father and son bond between Nathan and Sully, the on-again off-again romantic entanglements of Nate and Elena, the irresistible mystery of Chloe, all of these things stuck with me long after the credits rolled. I played that game once over six years ago, and I still remember those aspects. Tomb Raider has none of that. To me it's a lot of style and very little substance, whereas Uncharted 2 has both in spades. I'm not attacking Rise of the Tomb Raider, if people enjoy it (and they do) that's great. I'm just voicing my opinion of the game and what I experienced while playing it (as I do with most of the games I play, good and bad). If that's not respected then I don't really know what else to say.

14. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Oh, I did not mean my post to be hostile towards you, far from it. I apologise if that's how you took it. I certainly meant no disrespect. It was just that your criticisms of the game seemed to be directed at much of the trademarks of the particular genre of games that Tomb Raider and the Uncharted series belong to, and I wondered if they simply weren't your cup of tea to begin with. In my strange way, I suppose I was really asking you whether your dislikes are simply related to the genre that Tomb Raider belongs to, rather than shortcomings about the particular game itself. But, after reading your thoughts on Uncharted 2, it appears that that is not the case.

Your opinions are actually among the ones I value most of the posters here if I'm honest, because you are often unimpressed or have a contrary opinion to the popular hype, so your reviews are my trusted source of level-headed escape from the echo chamber. They are more sober, you could say.

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  15. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Thanks. I've actually been wanting to pick up the Uncharted Trilogy on the PS4 to prepare for A Thief's End next year, but I've always had a hard time playing through multiple games in one franchise back-to-back. I'd probably use the new Explorer difficulty (I do like my games easy) and breeze through them if I did go that route.

16. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Vanquish
    Released in 2010, this stylish third-person cover shooter by Platinum Games puts you in the shoes and, more importantly, the experimental combat suit of Sam Gideon. Said suit features rocket boosters that allow you to glide along the ground for limited stretches, and gives you heightened agility, making this a very fast-paced game, setting it somewhat apart from most console shooters. This was especially true at the time of its release five years ago. Nowadays, increased agility and a more fast-paced play style has become more common in these games, meaning that this title is perhaps no longer as unique in the marketplace as it once was. Nevertheless I had a blast playing it, so I simply have to recommend it. Here's a video review by IGN's Ryan Clements for more impressions.

17. rowancool

rowancool Jedi Padawan

Aug 22, 2015
    Just finished Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, and I loved it.

However I found it to be a really difficult game to play at times and the parts where you have no idea where to go can be frustrating.

I loved the lightsaber combat, it feels really good mowing down dark Jedi and less good getting owned by Desann repeatedly but that didn't stop it from being a really good fight.

Would definitely recommend this game and I will be now playing Jedi Academy :p

18. Sithaldo

Sithaldo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 3, 2013
    Fallout 4 - took me 134 hours to get to 100% completion. I'm now taking a break from any game that requires me to sink that much time into it, namely DA: Inquisition and The Witcher 3 which I still have yet to complete.

19. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Revenge of the Sith game. Havent played it since it came out. Decided that I should probably beat it. I put the cheat codes in because it's impossible without it, or maybe I just really really suck. Either way, I finally completed it and damn it's a fun game. A really fun game. One of the few movie licensed game that I like next to Spider man 2.

20. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Stop going into games and entertainment in general with such huge expectations and you will be much happier in life.

Remember when you only played games that mom and dad bought you and had no prior research besides a trailer on tv?

21. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Ori and the Blind Forest. One of the best games I've played this year, Ori and the Blind Forest is absolutely stellar from start to finish. I was sucked in as soon as I launched the game as I was introduced to its beautiful soundtrack while the logos of the publisher and developer splashed across the screen, and from the main menu onward I had a feeling I was in for something special. Thankfully I was right.

The story is fairly simple but effective, and begins with a very somber opening sequence that launches you headfirst into a world that is compelling both in its striking visuals and utter contempt towards your existence. The graphics are stunning to behold, with all manner of scenery to take in; lush greenery, tranquil seas, frigid tundras, and ominous fire are all present and accounted for. You play the role of Ori, a small, seemingly frail creature on a quest to save a once beautiful forest that's been overtaken by a dark force, and occasionally dodging the game's ever looming antagonist, a prodigious bird with deeper intentions than initially assumed. The side-scrolling world is open from the start, though in typical Metroidvania fashion, many areas are inaccessible until you learn new abilities, which is where the game really sunk its teeth into me and didn't let go until the credits rolled. The sense of progression is perfect. I often found myself thinking about just how fantastic the game was, and then it'd hit me with another ability or environmental effect that made the experience even better.

The game is also very challenging. You start out with very little health, as well as very little energy, which is mainly used to create save points in the game. Energy is a finite resource, so deciding where to place a checkpoint marker is a strategic task in itself. Usually it's evident when you're approaching a particularly tough spot, and once you place a save point right before it, you're free to experiment with different ways to tackle your objective. There is no loading screen or pause of any kind when you die, you simply return to your most recently created checkpoint, so it can occasionally become a Super Meat Boy-like game of trial and error, testing your skills with its tight, responsive platforming controls. This is when the game is at its best. The environment is not your only enemy in the game, as there are various types of creatures hellbent on turning you into a pile of glowing white dust as well. They will try to ram you, crush you, and impale you with projectiles. Your main method of attack is a ball of energy, which you are able to rapidly shoot at your opponents. No aiming is involved, your targets are auto-locked and not once did I ever have an issue with that mechanic. As you defeat enemies you gain experience and earn ability points, which you use in a skill tree comprised of three columns; Combat (upgrading your spirit attack which allows for more damage and quicker firing), Efficiency (new abilities such as being able to breathe underwater, triple jump, reducing energy costs for save points, etc.), and Utility (increasing energy/health gained from slain enemies and unveiling hidden items on the map for easy progression tracking). It all works extremely well together, creating an addictive, cohesive experience that I didn't want to end.

Sadly, the game does end, and far too quickly. My in-game clock read 08:18:02 after I completed the story, and I just felt like I needed a little bit more (or a lot more). This wouldn't be as big of an issue if the game allowed you to continue playing after you finish the story, but unfortunately it doesn't. Once you're done, you're done, and if you want to play more you'll have to start an entirely new game from scratch (there is no New Game+). This seems like a strange oversight from the developer, but luckily the game does warn you once you reach the point of no return, which gives you a chance to go back and clear up everything you want to get done before the end. It still would've been nice to be able to explore the world after the fact, as it really is a joy to wander through. But with the incoming Definitive Edition, which will reportedly incorporate new features based on fan feedback, I have high hopes that this will be rectified next year.

I've gone on a lot longer than I intended to about Ori and the Blind Forest, but I really cannot recommend it enough. Every gamer owes it to themselves to give this game a go. It really is a special experience.

Boba_Fett_2001 and Life like this.
  22. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Fuse
    Developed by Insomniac Games, this was going to be their departure from cartoon platformers; a 4-player squad-based third-person cover shooter with a pulp science fiction setting. One can glean inspirations from many different sources here, not only in terms of storytelling and style, but also in how the game plays and its mechanics. Unfortunately, it doesn't do any of the things it sets out to do to perfection, but one can see the seeds of a great game just below the surface. In the end, it was fine, but nothing more. I never felt a longing to play it, the way great games hook you. It was just, sort of, there. Alright to pass the time, but never something I would actively look forward to playing. A shame, because it contains the potential to be something that I would much prefer to Borderlands, and what in my opinion is what Borderlands should have been.

23. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Shadow of Mordor. I'd recommend it.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
  25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Mass Effect 3. I think each game in the series has improved on the last. This tweaks the gameplay to get the best of both Mass Effect 1 and 2. And the war setting really does wonders for the story -- the scale is epic, the stakes massive, everything comes back full circle from the previous games, and the situation really lets Shepard shine. Shepard's on his own, making big choices about the fate of the galaxy, choices that really feel significant, more than just "am I going to be a jerk to some guy on a colony planet?" or "do I arrest him or shoot him?" And it lets him be the big, big, big damn hero that people playing video games always like to be. The game goes epic and nails it. There were only two really weak points (well, other than trying a little too hard with the moody child dreams and crap). One was the ending. After all that, having the world's dumbest AI tell me that all possible civilizations act in exactly one way, so I only have three options and two of them are dumb as hell wasn't exactly satisfying. And "defeat the bad guys, but have a random negative consequence tacked on" isn't even one of the dumb ones. They were trying for something big, but didn't quite write it well enough. And maybe more significantly, the focus on the Reapers just drove home how weak the Reapers are as a villain. There's no personality. You're just fighting faceless, remote evil -- a mook army run by a consortium of anonymous super-mooks. They had to bring in the Illusive Man to give you can kind of a villain figure, and the halfhearted way they used him after setting him up so well in ME2 just ended up being kind of disappointing. Seeing him at the end just made me wish Cerberus had been the villains all along and I'd spent three games matching wits with this guy instead of chasing artifacts around to disable a bunch of giant metal beetles in the distance. Not that the game wasn't a blast, but in a game as big and activity-packed as this, some strong villains go a long way. Generic evil hordes get a bit tiresome.

Point Given and Life like this.