main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming What was the last videogame you beat?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Siths_Revenge, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I'm not a huge fan of the gameplay, but the folks at Naughty Dog are masters of writing and presentation. Uncharted's got great characters and I look forward to seeing the conclusion of the series.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Speaking of which:

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

I was totally prepared to write a glowing review wherein I praised how the game's strengths were able to overcome some unsatisfying gunplay (Enemies with Terminator-esque endurance while you're apparently made of papier mâché, a repeated tendency to make you rely on spray and pray tactics when ammunition is relatively limited, enemies of the same type apparently having different health levels or... something...) but then the last bossfight made me dwell on them in harsh detail as I was stripped of alternatives like grenades and more precise small arms and forced to maneuver through wave after wave of absurd escalation while the boss waved around a one-shot kill weapon that essentially made every aimed shot a gamble. So yeah, **** gunfights in this game.

Anyway I'm pretty excited to play the next one. :p

Edit: Oh, and apparently one cool thing the PS4 collection does is keep your options consistent across the different titles. As a ritualistic aim sensitivity fiddler I am overjoyed.

3. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Yeah I just played them all on explorer difficulty because **** that noise.

4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm just glad I'm not one of those "Well as a real gamer I must play on the hardest difficulty" types or I'm pretty sure I'd still be shooting the first enemy in the game. Even on Normal they take an absurd amount of punishment before they go down.

5. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Yep. But it's a mixed bag. I feel like they are so short experiences that if one were able to just breeze through the enemies, the entire thing would be over in two sittings. I personally played them all on Normal difficulty, and I couldn't imagine playing them on an easier setting. I think that would have been too easy to be challenging, which would have eliminated half of the entertainment value for me. Some challenge is needed, as they are not as narratively dense as to be able to rely on narrative alone the way, say, Telltale's games are.

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It probably wouldn't be so frustrating if it wasn't really clear that they could provide a more satisfying challenge in the exact same enegine by just utilizing enemy placement and requiring you to vary your tactics, rather than making everything absorb more bullets.

And don't even get me started on the ****ing headshot denial helmets the late game SWAT armor guys have.

7. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    True. You can see Naughty Dog's inexperience in the first game, and the lessons they learn from it very clearly when comparing 1 and 2. There are a lot of endless firefights without flanking opportunities - even ones where your position on low ground gives you a tremendous disadvantage relative to your elevated enemies who surround you in a semicircle - in the first game. They much more often give you branching pathways and opportunities for multiple methods of engagement in the next two games. Those unfair heavy enemies with body armour remain a staple of the series, though. :p

I like that the game at times acknowledges its own absurdity in 2 and 3. When there are the inevitable sequences where the stage is being destroyed, and you must escape doom while still fighting enemies, Nate will shout his frustration at them. "Are you kidding me?! You do realise we're all about to die here, right?!"

8. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Just beat Mafia 2 again. No matter how many times I see it coming, I always shed a tear at the end. Before beating Mafia 2, it was Resident Evil Remastered.

9. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    The Division.

And now the Dark Zone plays me..

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

11. Kynirin

Kynirin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    Game of Thrones. The 2012 RPG.

12. Darth Dash

Darth Dash Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    The last game I beat was one I have beaten a couple of times in the past, and that would be Final Fantasy IX. Ironically, I started playing it again not long before the Steam rerelease was announced, so not too long after beating it, I am playing it again. :p
    It's not the best video game objectively, but it sure is my favorite. :3

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  13. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Not sure if this even counts, but I just beat the demo version of the PS4 indie game called "Unravel". Cute game, and I'm not into indie games at all.

14. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    The Wolf Among Us
    Finished it today. Unlike the other Telltale games, where I only intended to play through once and let it be my definitive version of the narrative, and where I didn't really feel any desire to revisit the story another time, I feel that I want to play this again. No doubt the crime mystery aspect of it is what drives this desire, and what sets it apart from their other series. I want to do better and piece things together more satisfyingly in my mind.
    These kinds of narratives have over the years conditioned me to always expect to be betrayed at some point, so all the way from half through the second episode until the end of the game, I suspected Snow herself to be behind it, or at least complicit. She had ample motive, and it didn't help that she frequently went off on her own, following her own leads without explaining them to you. At all points where she wanted my opinion, I told her the opposite of what I really suspected, to throw her off about how much I knew. I figured that the game would have her remove all evidence in the final episode if I lead her on to them.

Of course, in the end, the narrative served up a different scenario, but since I was not able to amass any material evidence against The Crooked Man, I'm still not satisfied with my playthrough. I only managed to convict him for the murders, because I wasn't able to interject the kidnapping of Crane during the trial. Perhaps there is no way to gather evidence on him, but I keep thinking that I've missed something. I still suspect Snow, though. I'm not sure Nerissa is the sole mastermind. I have a nagging suspicion that the next season will reveal more about Snow's role in events. I will most likely just end up looking silly, but I can't shake the feeling. I need to do another playthrough.

Kynirin likes this.
  15. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Uncharted 4: A Thief's End. A masterpiece. I haven't felt so emotionally satisfied after finishing a game since Red Dead Redemption. What a perfect send-off for those characters. The last ten minutes or so of that game... I wept. And I never weep. Just fantastic.

Life likes this.
  16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

17. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Batman Arkham Knight!!

Grievousdude and Deliveranze like this.
  18. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    DOOM (2016)

One of the most fun campaigns I've played in along time.

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

I wish the folks behind the Arkham series put together a new game featuring Harley Quinn as the main character.

Grievousdude and B99 like this.
  20. JediLovett92

JediLovett92 Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2015
    Kingdom Hearts 2

21. Krambo

Krambo Jedi Padawan

Feb 5, 2016
    Star Fox Zero. Absolutely loved it. Can't wait to get some medals and unlock some levels now!

22. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    The Order: 1886. I just kind of assumed that most of the complaints this game got when it was released had to do with its length (or lack thereof). The concept seemed cool enough. Gorgeous Victorian era game with an ancient order of knights dating back to King Arthur that has to fight werewolves and vampires and such (and with Nikola Tesla's help)? They couldn't really screw that up, could they?

Well, yeah. It's not terrible, but there's not a single special thing about it. It's dull, uninspired, and the campaign felt way longer than it actually was. The cast of characters seems cool on the surface, but there's no depth to the storytelling and the plot is ultimately forgettable. The ending does set up a sequel, but I'm not even sure I want one.

Life likes this.
  23. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Decided to do a speedrun of Myst IV Revelation to see how long it would actually take. It took me just about and hour, including unskippable cutscenes.

I was able to skip about half the game, simply by knowing what to do already. I never even set foot on Haven, or entered the Dream World.

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Assassin's Creed II

Also got 100% trophy completion

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Just beat Dragon Age: Awakening. It's an expansion to DAO and fixes almost all of my problems with the game. It's far tighter, with a lot of content but a sense of restraint and pacing that keeps the game moving through it. The game is not newrly as stingy with XP and there are some great new abilities added. The enemies have actual personalities, with talking darkspawn proving far more interesting. And I really, really liked the chance to play as a more veteran character, a lord in the position of making important decisions, building a fortress, wading through politics. It's a much more interesting type of character to play than DAO's kid with a destiny, and takes better advantage of the medieval setting. Definitely a success.