main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming What was the last videogame you beat?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Siths_Revenge, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Rise of the Tomb Raider on PS4

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

Did you Platinum the game; finding all relics, collectibles, etc. as well as complete all challenges/missions?

3. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    John Woo presents Stranglehold
    Developed and published by now-defunct Midway Games, this was released way back in 2007 for X360, PS3 and PC, and I believe it was one of Midway's last hits. The PS3 version notably lacks Trophies, as this was released before they were introduced. It's a sequel to John Woo's 1992 Hong Kong action flick classic, Hard Boiled, starring Yun-fat Chow, and the game features his likeness and voice. Amusingly, Woo himself is also featured with voice and likeness as a bartender in one of the early cutscenes.

As you would expect given its inspiration, all the hallmarks of a Hong Kong action movie are here: slow-motion gunfights combined with diving and shooting, sliding down stairway railings and shooting, swinging from chandeliers and shooting, diving onto catering carts, then rolling on top it across the room and shooting, and of course white doves flying past the screen as you're shooting. :D You can even roll sideways along the floor in silly Lethal Weapon style after a dive to dodge shots, and the stages are abound with conveniently placed fuel barrels for the obligatory Michael Bay explosions. I've seen it referred to as Max Payne on steroids, and that's probably accurate in terms of gameplay, but it's obviously not as thematically grim.

Well worth a try, if nothing else, and you can probably find or download it dirt cheap these days. I found it used for £2 myself in mint condition.

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Dragon Age: Origins

5. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    ABZU: Pretty, but boring game. Needed to be 10 bucks at most and just you being allowed to swim around and do what you want. No story required.

6. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Assassins Creed 2

Loved it, one of my favorites games of all time now.

Riven_JTAC and Life like this.
  7. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

That's possibly the last for this decade, Eidos Montreal are committing to a series of Marvel games.

Life likes this.
  8. Antipode

Antipode Jedi Padawan

Apr 21, 2017
    I think the last video game that I beat was Serious Sam: The First Encounter (HD) remade into its Fusion 2017 incarnation, but that was more me re-beating it. The most recent would likely be...Serious Sam 3: BFE, actually, about two months ago. It was a good game and had solid multiplayer, but I think I enjoyed the older Sams more. The melee mechanics made some fights trivial, but more importantly I felt they actually detracted from the combat system even when they were handy. I never felt the same thrill from responding to the prompt as opposed to mowing through enemies conventionally.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "Metroid: Zero Mission", "Super Metroid" and "Metroid Fusion". Working on "Castlevania: Aria Of Sorrow".

SensationalSean and Life like this.
  10. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Assassins Creed Brotherhood

I liked it but I prefer AC2 for its story and, IMO, better and more memorable main missions.

Riven_JTAC likes this.
  11. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Burnout 3: Takedown(PS2)
    Ten years after I first bought it used out of my local Gamestop, I finally have gold on all races and crash challenges. I have by no means played it regularly, but more in fits and starts. In the past three years, I've played it muted whenever I've wanted to combine some gaming with my podcast listening. So too was the case today when I finished the last race I was missing a gold medal on, before deciding that the final couple of crash challenges I had saved for last should be played with sound. My time with the game deserved a proper sendoff, after all. The crash junction challenges were always my favourite game mode. As I unmuted the telly, I got a reunion with the 13 years old alternative rock featured in the game's soundtrack as I was browsing the menu. To think that I used to like some of these songs at one time! And that annoying cheesy DJ that interrupts the music at regular intervals to comment! [face_plain]

But the game itself is solid, as evidenced by my coming back to it ten years on, despite having many newer games I still haven't played. I noticed in the extras, that there's an included demo of NFS Underground 2 on the disc, and after trying it for 3-4 minutes, it's obvious to me that they shoudn't have included it. It was clearly mandated by management high up in EA, because the game you're playing is so much better than the one being demoed that it functions more as a cautionary warning than an endorsement. Who even remembers the NFS Underground games today?

12. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

It was fun, and I liked all the Tolkien references. The main story was a bit short, and the ending was way too abrupt. The nemesis system still feels a bit overrated. It's fun at first, but I gradually just came to ignore captains where necessary. Hopefully the expanded system in the sequel will be a bit more deep.

13. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

Finished on Ultra Violence - what a relaunch. I hope there's more to come. My only complaints is the load times on initial startup and the multiplayer is lack lustre because that component of the game was outsourced to another studio. But that's it, loved every bit of it.

Antipode and Grievousdude like this.
  14. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I believe the last game I beat was Resident Evil 7, back in February. Excellent game, can't wait to play through again at some stage.

I'm currently working on Breath of the Wild and Dragon Age 2, which I abandoned in June 2015. Turning it back on yesterday was quite jarring (I was mid-mission!), but I got into it reasonably quickly. I want to complete it before moving on to Inquisition, which I received as a gift for Christmas 2014!

Life likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I just finished Zelda today, well the main quest - just over 2 months and 132 hours or so later.

Life likes this.
  16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Just beat Last of Us: Remastered on the PS4. That was a great game; and that's saying something from me since I'm not huge on the walking dead/zombie thing. Excellent character building; I even felt tremendous sympathy toward's Joel's tragic character.

I've now begun with the Left Behind spinoff game. I had initially thought it would be a follow-up game, but it's a kind of prequel-esque game; with some parts taking place in the middle of the original game.

Boba_Fett_2001 and Life like this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Finished the main game of Dragon Age: Inquisition, now on the DLC.

Decided I ought to finish some games before starting new ones.

Life likes this.
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Just beat The Last of Us: Left Behind spinoff game. It was a really nice outside story that gave you a little more of the background to the main game. I was a little disappointed by the ending, however. I'll talk about it in the game's thread to save on spoilers.

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Officially caught up with the main series

Riven_JTAC and Life like this.
  20. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Yes, I finished all of it. Took about 120 hours all in all.

Jedi Ben and Life like this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, 2 years or thereabouts later, I reached the end of Dragon Age: Inquisition with completing the last DLC Trespasser.

I didn't get the codex pieces to tell Solas he was Fen'Haral, but I think it works better with that revelation coming from him. The idea of going to Tevinter sounds quite cool too. I rendered the Inquisition as a peacekeeping force, felt like the best move - seemed to shut up the nobles too. Well, temporarily.

Didn't find the last boss as hard as I expected, given the rep it has, but I also had done a lot of preparation for Descent that came in handy here too. Combat sections tended to rely a bit too much on teleporting enemies in, or having ones quickly go fro one side of the map to the other. Targeting system in busy battles often collapsed too - I'd have an enemy in front of me but can I target it? Nope.

The one thing that didn't work for me at all was the new Anchor abilities. Even at the end, when it's in overload mode, you can send a blast at an enemy that should render it geography and it does far less damage than you'd expect, with said enemy still being able to walk, run and attack. Don't think they really thought that through in game terms; in story terms it worked well, but should have been kept there.

What was very smart was seeing the various character resolutions, which in turn reflect how you handled their quests - or not. I found the set of outcomes very satisfying and the section with Cassandra reading Varric's re-telling of the game was both inspired and funny. I hope Dragon Age 4 picks up the thread this finale set in play.

Life likes this.
  22. Isley_27

Isley_27 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2016
    Dark Souls III. After soooooo many months of rage quitting and never touching the game again, getting the armor and weapons I wanted, and soul grinding. I finally beat the game!

Edit: Had to team up with the wife on more than one occasion.

heels1785 and Life like this.
  23. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Yours is a match made in heaven. :p

Isley_27 likes this.
  24. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Bought Mega Man: Legacy Collection on PSN during a flash sale a few days ago, and have just finished Mega Man 1 and 2. Only four more to go!

Life and PCCViking like this.
  25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Call of Duty: World at War

Life likes this.