main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming What was the last videogame you beat?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Siths_Revenge, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Of course they're working on the sequel; but it's anyone's guess when it will be released. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony pushed Guerilla to hold off on releasing the sequel until their next console comes out. They can put a "franchise" tag on the game; so long as Guerilla doesn't sell out and expand the rights to other platforms like the PC and especially Microsoft and Nintendo.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    See, I'm starting to think that if they keep with console generations, that's what 10 years? - combined with the production time for a top-notch game, tends to be 3 years and they want people to be able to play series from start to finish, backwards compatibility is going to have to matter more.

3. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The PS4 was really the first Sony console (since the original Playstation) that didn't feature any sort of backwards compatibility. The PS2 and PS3 could play PS disks. If you got lucky, there were a few rare PS3 consoles that could actually play PS2 disks. I waited about a year after the PS4 was first released to the market to buy it; because I still had a few dozen PS3 games to be occupied with. If Sony was smart, they'd release the next console with full backwards compatibility of all previous versions. With that they could even justify a larger price tag; considering PS4 owners would be able to trade in their consoles for the next gen system.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Exactly, add in save data transfer a la FFX remake and they're into a winner.

Especially with the way XBox is going.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I have not. I don't know when/if I'll get around to it. As much as I enjoyed HZD I'm ready to move on to some other games for now.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, keep an eye on PSN as it's normally £16 but if a sale's on it might be £10 - which is what I got it for - or lower.

It's an expansion along the lines of Witcher 3: Blood & Wine, a seriously hefty add-on.

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Nier Automata: Route C. This is one of the more crazy but good games I've played. There's multiple endings; multiple choices when you reach the end; and when you beat Route C it offers not only a stage select but debug mode. I don't remember a legitimate debug mode in a console game since Sonic the Hedgehog on the Genesis lol.

Life likes this.
  8. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2

I don't think you're ever too old to enjoy Lego games. I've been playing them since I was a young fella. I'll always have great memories of Lego Indiana Jones. They're great to just sit back, relax and have a bit of fun with. They're not games that need to be taken seriously, so it's a good time out to have between serious games. I really enjoyed the first Marvel Super Heroes and the Avengers one, so it's no surprise that I really enjoyed this one too.

The major thing that they went all out with this time was the open world. It's pretty big and jam packed with stuff to do, but the design of it is nothing like you've seen before in a Lego game. The map, known as Chronopolis, is made up of heaps of different locations from different times and places, e.g. Ancient Egypt, future New York and Asgard, etc. This gave the freeroam lots of variety and I never get sick of it. The previous two Lego Marvel games used just New York as the main open world, so this was really refreshing.

My biggest problem (this may just be because of my age and not remembering how the other Lego games used to be) was the missions felt very short. You'd go into one room, mess around with a few things, then you'd go to the next room, fight a boss, and you'd be done. Some missions were only a boss fight. I kept thinking to myself "How have they hidden ten minikits in here?". I'm sure I remember the missions in the older games taking a lot longer. That being said, there were a lot of missions plus bonus missions, so it's not a major complaint.

The variety of characters was fantastic, as you'd expect, and they really got creative with their powers e.g. Doctor Strange's portal ability. What I loved about the missions was the variety of characters you got to use and places you got to visit. It really was like a Lego version of your favourite comic books or animated shows. What I found really cool was the choice of villains. They really went all out here and threw you against the most powerful of them all. You got to fight Ego the Living Planet, Surtur, Eson the Searcher (A Celestial), Korvac and the Supreme Intelligence, etc. The main villain, Kang the Conqueror, was pretty good.

Scores (Since it's not very fair to judge Lego games compared to non-Lego games, I've tried to judge it as a Lego game.)

Narrative - 7/10
    Gameplay - 8/10
    Soundtrack - 7/10
    Characters - 9/10
    Performances - 8/10
    Graphics - 7/10
    Level design - 7/10
    Open world - 9/10

Overall - 8/10

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Moll and Life like this.
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Not sure if it really counts, but I used the stage select in Nier Automata to watch the Route D ending. Once you get through that; you have the opportunity to see the Route E ending, but to get there you have to beat a near-impossible challenge. I found out only after I quit that eventually you get help. Certainly a unique game.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Last night I watched the Route E ending of Nier Automata. It's probably among the more depressing games I've played; the Japanese song playing during the credits certainly dampens the mood. It's a very good game; and with plenty of side quests, weapons, etc. to go after, it's got a high replay value.

Jedimaster_Darklight and Life like this.
  11. Jedimaster_Darklight

Jedimaster_Darklight Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 22, 2005
    What a weird coincidence; I've just spent the last week or so playing NieR: Automata as well! :eek:

It's one of the best games I've played in a long, long time. I adore the soundtrack too!

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah that soundtrack is really great; especially the ending credits one.

Jedimaster_Darklight likes this.
  13. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    With the way platforms are being managed these days and the line between generations becoming more and more blurred with each half-step console released, I'd be shocked if Microsoft and/or Sony ever release another console that isn't backwards compatible with the PS4/XBO onward. Especially with the massive effort Microsoft's put in to bringing 360/Xbox games to the XBO's backwards compatibility program. They need something like that to keep holding on for dear life, and I can't imagine Sony's gonna allow them to continue having that advantage over them.

Ahsoka's Tano and Jedi Ben like this.
  14. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Finally finished The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Thank God that's over. [face_relieved]

15. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    You kidding me? It's one of my favourite Zelda games. And the art style is gorgeous.

16. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    It doesn't hold a candle to Breath of the Wild or A Link to the Past for me. But I do agree that the art style is great. Setting sail on a seemingly endless ocean in the middle of a sunny day was a sight that never got old.

Life likes this.
  17. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Rogue Squadron (PC Version)

Life likes this.
  18. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I got my final gold several years after I bought it too. Raid on Sullust was my final gold. A tough as nails level.

19. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

Tales from the Borderlands

I love Telltale games. They always deliver really, really solid narratives and characters. They can crack you up (Guardians of the Galaxy) or throw you on an emotional roller coaster (Game of Thrones), but Tales from the Borderlands is, hands down, the best one of them all. It’s funny, charming, interesting, crazy and is still able to be emotional when it needs to. There’s everything you could hope for. One minor complaint I had about the Guardians of the Galaxy game is that it was a bit too emotional at times. Even though it was an amazing game, it needed to chill out a little bit. Tales from the Borderlands handled everything perfectly.

There’s three main things that need to be amazing for a game to be amazing, and that’s narrative, characters and gameplay. Being a Telltale game, gameplay doesn’t matter here, but the narrative and characters were just incredibly well done. In fact, I don’t think they could’ve done them better if they tried. They’re perfect. I always love a story where a random group of characters end up coming together. Unlikely allies I guess you could say. Just think of Star Wars, Guardians of the Galaxy and Fast and Furious for some of the best examples. As the story progresses, you get to fall in love with every single one of these characters and see how they develop along the journey you’re taking with them.

The way you see the story told through two different perspectives of the two playabale characters was quite unique, and constantly added some variety to the story. Rhys and Fiona (the two lead characters) were both fantastic and really enjoyable to play as. (I’m team Rhys btw) The supporting cast are equally fantastic. Sasha, Vaughn, Loader Bot (This guy is just the best), Gortys, Scooter, Zer0, Athena, Handsome Jack and Vasquez, etc. Wow. What a cast of characters! And every voice actor did an outstanding job.

The team behind this game obviously cared a lot about what they were doing, because you can always see the fun and love they put into it. A great team is the key to a great game. They obviously have a fantastic sense of humour too, because this is the funniest game I’ve ever played. There’s so many hilarious moments that I’m going to remember for a very long time. E.g. Removing the eye, face pizza and just Loader Bot in general (He really is the best). The game also paid great respect to the Borderlands series. Wether it be through it’s game world or characters, they did a wonderful job at making this really feel like it belongs in the series. If you’re a fan of the Borderlands series you’re guaranteed to be a fan of this game as well.

Scores (Some categories have been removed due to this being a Telltale game)

Narrative - 10/10
    Gameplay/interactivity - 9/10
    Soundtrack - 8/10
    Characters - 10/10
    Performances - 10/10

Overall - 10/10

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Grievousdude likes this.
  20. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I can't deny it's an outstanding game if you like the world of the Borderlands series. The narrative is well told and hooks you in, and there are a lot of great moments for each of the characters; many of them funny moments too. But I'm just not a fan of the cynical mean-spirited humour of that entire franchise.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  21. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

Batman: The Enemy Within

I'm currently on that Telltale Games vibe right now. This company continues to amaze me. Season two of the Batman series takes what was great about the first game and takes it up a notch. They went bigger and better and never held back. Like the first game, you once again get to see a Batman story that you've never seen before, and a side to some characters that you've never seen before either, which constantly makes the game unpredictable and exciting. To summarise it in a non-spoilery way, after some trouble with the Riddler, Bruce Wayne infiltrates the ranks of his crew, which include Joker (known as John Doe), Harley Quinn, Bane and Mister Freeze. While gaining their trust, he secretly works with Joker (who isn't a villain at this time) to take them down. Throughout the entire game, you're challenged with keeping Joker from becoming... well, Joker. Depending on how you play, he might end up becoming a fellow vigilante or your worst enemy. I tell you what, Joker's storyline gets pretty intense! I've never been a fan of Joker, but this is hands down the best portrayal of Joker that I've ever seen.

As well as Batman and Joker, the rest of the characters all contribute to make this a really, really strong narrative. Alfred, Gordon, Waller, Harley, Bane and Riddler, etc. all have their moments and all deliver some great moments. And I've got to say, the entire cast did an amazing job and gave believable performances as each of their characters, but especially Anthony Ingruber as Joker. The way he acts so calm followed by instant insanity is really powerful. I expect him to get some more work after this. The villains were fantastic in the first game and they were equally as fantastic in this one. Telltale Games have always thrown tough decisions your way, but there were some really tough ones here! "Will I blow my cover to save a friend?" "Will I set Joker down a light or dark path?" "Will I tell this character that I'm Batman?" I had to keep pausing the game to really think about the decisions I was making. One thing I've always loved about different Batman material, like films and comics, is how dark they are. Oh boy, does this get dark, especially when Joker is involved.

One thing this Telltale game did better than the others is the actual gameplay. Whenever you get into a fight as Batman, it's actually really badass and well choreographed. The use of slowmo and the brutal hits you do made me go "Woah!" out loud at times. As well as lots of different options with the dialogue and decisions, there's also different options you can do in combat. "Will I take them down with a grapple gun or an uppercut? I think I want to see them get punched in the face!" I'd highly recommend this game if you're a Batman fan.

Scores (Some categories have been removed due to this being a Telltale game)

Narrative - 9/10
    Gameplay/interactivity - 9/10
    Soundtrack - 7/10
    Characters - 9/10
    Performances - 10/10

Overall - 9/10

heels1785 and Life like this.
  22. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    I actually had more difficulty getting gold on Taloraan than Sullust due to how you need damn good accuracy to get it on that mission even though Sullust was the same.

23. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Yes, that brings back memories. But those damn missile launchers on Sullust were a nightmare. There are so many of them, and they begin locking on to you from all directions within seconds of the level starting! [face_plain]

24. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Finished all the main puzzles in Picross S, got a nice gold medal on the main menu for completing them all with no assists.

[​IMG]

Might dabble in Mega Picross, will definitely be downloading a Picross game for the DS. Picross is good.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Life likes this.
  25. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

Journey

This game is short and sweet, coming in at a max of two hours to finish. This might actually be the first indie game I’ve played. It received a lot of praise when it came out with some even calling it the best game of the year. Now it was definitely good and I agree with the praise, but I wouldn’t quite call it amazing. At the end of the day, it was short, it was simple, and there wasn’t a whole lot of story to get you involved in, but I guess part of the game is for you to interpret how you want and put the pieces together. All that being said, this had some of the best cinematography in gaming, and the art direction was fantastic. It looked stunning from start to finish. The way it goes through different elements, like sand, water, snow and clouds, is really well done. Reaching the top of the mountain is really something quite spectacular. The soundtrack also complimented each sequence really well.

Scores

Narrative - 7/10
    Gameplay - 8/10
    Soundtrack - 9/10
    Characters - 7/10
    Graphics - 8/10
    Level design - 9/10

Overall - 8/10

Life, darkspine10 and Moll like this.