main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming What was the last videogame you beat?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Siths_Revenge, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    @Jordan1Kenobi if you liked Journey, you should look at Abzu, it has the same style, and it about the same length, maybe a bit longer :)

2. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I’ll check it out, thanks. I’m currently playing through Rime, which is similar too. Just a bit longer though with more puzzle solving elements.

Moll likes this.
  3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Flower is another good recommendation, by the same team as Journey, capturing much of the same style and tone.

I wouldn't recommend their earlier game flOw though, it was pretty dull to me, and the controls were a nightmare.

Life likes this.
  4. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    I have played through about half of RiME, the music from that game is stunning. Hope you enjoy :)

I agree to the Flower recommendation, it is better than journey, in my opinion, by far.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  5. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

The Wolf Among Us

Ending my Telltale Games marathon, we have The Wolf Among Us. After the final episode, I have mixed feelings about this game. It started off so strong with the first three episodes, but then lost it's momentum in the final two. This game's got to have one of the most underwhelming finales ever. Taking my past Telltale Games experiences into account, I was expecting the finale to be shocking with a massive twist. Something to make me go "Holy ****!" and remember it for years to come, like the twists in the Batman and Borderlands Telltale games, but sadly it didn't have that. It sort of just... ended. Now I love a good murder mystery. I always find them exciting. The first four episodes had amazing build up to the mystery you're trying to solve and I was loving it. They made it out like every character was a suspect. Hell, I was even thinking Snow White might be the one behind it all. But then as soon as the final episode starts, the Crooked Man reveals that one of his goons did it. That's it. It actually was the Crooked Man's fault all along. All that build up. All that suspicion. All that subconscious detective work going on in my head. It was for nothing. The biggest twist came in the final scene of the game, but then it ends and you have to wait until the next game to find out what really happened. I don't mind a good cliffhanger, but this could've been revealed earlier in the finale and had closure, which would've had much more of an impact. Another problem I had with the finale was during the Crooked Man's trial, as there were so many characters present and they were all talking at once. The conversations were also going nowhere. I just don't think the finale was written nearly as well as the other episodes.

Putting my disappointment with an underwhelming finale aside, the game itself was great. I really loved the dark tone that was used throughout it. I often find that a darker story is a better story. The dark tone worked perfectly with the world and the characters as well. The idea behind it was really creative in a messed up way - Taking your childhood fairy tales and turning them into real life characters with real life struggles, while dealing with some pretty heavy themes. It's probably not something I would've usually been interested in, but it worked. It worked really well. Bigby Wolf was a fantastic lead character and I really enjoyed playing as him. I liked how the game let you shape him into the type of guy you wanted him to be. You could make him aggressive and kill everyone you had the opportunity to, or have him playing the nice guy and restrain himself from hurting anyone as it would make him just as bad as the villains he's trying to stop. This didn't only affect Bigby, but the entire town by the end of the game, which made the stakes higher. I went for the nice guy route which I was pretty happy with.

The supporting characters were great. There was a lot of variety of different personalities, from the foul-mouthed Toad to the mysterious and stubborn Crooked Man. Coming across these different characters and interacting with them always kept it fresh and exciting. The performances were pretty solid for everyone as well. Some of the decisions you had to make were tough, but none of them had me biting my nails wondering if I'd made the right decision or not like the other Telltale games. So some tougher decisions could've definitely been added in there to make the stakes higher. The dialogue options had a great variety though. This series also had some pretty awesome and intense action scenes, especially with the final fight between Bigby and Bloody Mary. They took things to a level that I didn't think I'd be seeing, and it was both great and unsettling at the same time. This game is definitely something I'd like to see turned into a film or television show.

Scores

Narrative - 8/10
    Gameplay/interactivity - 8/10
    Soundtrack - 7/10
    Characters - 8/10
    Performances - 8/10

Overall - 8/10

Life likes this.
  6. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

RiME

I managed to grab this for free with PlayStation Plus. After being pretty impressed with Journey, I was keen to get into RiME. Was it as good as Journey? Not quite. Was it still good? Yeah. There's a lot to like about this game, but it didn't blow my socks off or leave me wanting to play it again. The game starts off simple enough - You're a young boy that's been stranded on a mysterious island and have to solve different puzzles to keep progressing. It was straight forward enough, until you reached the massive lighthouse structure. This is when you realised there was more to this game than simple puzzle solving. You then enter three different rooms in this structure, all with vastly different level designs. You also get cut scenes in between, giving us an actual story - A mysterious one that you sort of have to work out along the way until it’s all revealed in the closing scene. It’s quite a serious and emotional ending that I didn’t expect. I thought I was just going to be solving puzzles, so this all caught me by surprise. What they did was quite beautiful in a way, which I’m sure would’ve touched a lot of players.

I preferred the starting sections of the game, aka anything before reaching the lighthouse. The other stuff was good too though. For the starting sections, I loved walking around the beautiful island solving it's puzzles. Some of them were straight forward but others took a bit more thinking. These parts were very peaceful and I loved the bright and bold colours. I even had to take a couple of screen shots because of how stunning it looked. Then I went into the lighthouse and the tone of the game changed completely. I was faced with a lot of darkness, sometimes even complete darkness, which kind of irritated me and got frustrating at times. I recommend turning your brightness up just one notch and the problem will be solved. I wish I'd done it sooner, as before I did some important things were literally impossible to see. The three different rooms you entered in the lighthouse gave the game a lot of variety and each had their own important meaning to do with the story. I'm not going to lie, the first one actually scared me a bit. That vulture creature with the skull head is one of the most terrifying video game beasts I've ever come across, and I've seen some pretty terrifying beasts. You see what I mean by the tonal change? I went from being relaxed on this beautiful island to being terrified of this flying demon thing chasing me just like that. The second room was both magical and terrifying at the same time, but the part of the story with rebuilding the robot and helping it set the rest of it's species free was really nice. The third room was just full of emotion.

I was quite fond of the characters, like the kid you played as, the fox that guided you (that thing is just the cutest) and the robot friend you made along the way. There was obviously a very creative team behind this game. The art direction, as I mentioned before was stunning. They knew the exact colour pallet to use in each of the sections to make the most impact. I can only imagine how amazing it would've looked had this been a full scale big budget game. It also had a nice and impactful soundtrack to go along with it. There were a few technical issues that got irritating at times, but nothing too major. It's only short, so I'd say give it a shot if you get the chance and see what you make of it.

Scores

Narrative - 7/10
    Gameplay - 7/10
    Soundtrack - 8/10
    Characters - 7/10
    Art direction - 9/10
    Level design - 8/10

Overall - 7.5/10

7. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    @Jordan1Kenobi When so you sleep!? You have been completing games left, right and centre ;)

Could you post your images in the screen shot thread, I would love to see them :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    PCCViking and Jordan1Kenobi like this.
  8. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Sleep is for the weak. Haha, nah I’ve just been playing shorter games after work and on my days off. Now Fortnite is what gives me lack of sleep.

Yeah sure, I’ll try get the images up in a couple days. They’re nothing special, but I just had to take them. It’s a beautiful looking game.

Moll likes this.
  9. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

Firewatch

This will be the last indie game I play for now, which means it will hold the title of best indie game for quite some time. I’m really impressed with Firewatch! The game only came in at around four hours, yet left such an impact that it felt like I’d been playing it for a while. It’s a strange feeling since I only started it two days ago. I guess I got so invested in the story and characters that I ended up getting a bigger connection to it than I thought I would. There’s not going to be many negative things to say here.

The game starts off quite straight forward - You’re playing as Henry, a man who is going through some troubles at home with his wife so decides to take a job as a firewatch in the wilderness. You get introduced to Delilah, your neighbouring firewatch, over a walkie talkie, and you will continue to only communicate with her this way throughout the entire game. As the days go on, stranger things start to happen and you soon find yourself at the center of a mystery that must be solved. As the mystery starts to unravel, the game gets pretty intense. I’m not going to lie, I was genuinely terrified at times and I loved it! With you being the only physical character on screen for more than a few seconds throughout the entire game (technically just your hands and legs), you really get the feeling of isolation quite fast. You actually feel like someone is constantly watching you when the mysterious events start happening, and it does get pretty freaky. I even found myself turning the camera around to see if anyone actually was watching me. The tension this team managed to create in the game was better than most horror/thriller films.

The atmosphere in this game was brilliant, and probably the strongest element. One minute it's really peaceful and the next it's terrifying. I'm probably making the game sound scarier than it is, so don't let that put you off. The art direction was stunning. The combination of the bright blue during the day, the greens and oranges during the night, and then the bright orange towards the end of the game is really quite spectacular. The simple soundtrack is also quite effective. So the combination of atmosphere, art direction and soundtrack really help build this world to a really high quality level.

The two main characters, Henry and Delilah, are really likeable and the voice actors sell their performances extraordinarily well. You really feel the emotion in their voice when things start happening, and since you never technically see either of them, you have to rely on voice acting alone, so well done to Rich Sommer and Cissy Jones. Like the Telltale games, you get different dialogue options to choose from in your conversations, there's no big decisions or anything, but it makes it more interactive and gives you a stronger connection to both of these characters. The only negative things I can say about this game is the map can be a bit tricky to find your way around at times and the frame rate kept dropping, but only for a second. So I'd say definitely give it a go. It's only four hours, what have you got to lose?

Scores

Narrative - 8/10
    Gameplay - 6/10
    Soundtrack - 7/10
    Characters - 8/10
    Performances - 9/10
    Art direction - 9/10
    Open world - 8/10

Overall - 8.5/10

Life, darkspine10 and Moll like this.
  10. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Metroid: Zero Mission. Officially completed my first ever Metroid game. Thoroughly enjoyed this one. howlongtobeat.com lied in this particular instance and it took me about twice as long as I expected, but I definitely didn't mind. Clever design throughout, really fun to play. Looking forward to playing Samus Returns on the 3DS.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Life likes this.
  11. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I loved SR, you are in for a treat. It'll be interesting to see how you find it after ZM; it's quite different!

I finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut on Saturday. I played through the original release back in 2011 and started the DR in 2015, but only got around to completing it now. A great game, but the final chapter and ending are a bit weak.

I'll return to Final Fantasy XV for a bit, then finally get to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (which I bought on its release in 2016!).

12. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    It was a couple days ago, but I got through my first full playthrough of XCOM 2: War of the Chosen.

Don't have much of a "review" for it, except to say that I liked it overall, and would for the most part consider WotC to be an improvement over the base XCOM 2 game. Think my biggest "complaint" is wishing that some of the mods I have for the base game would get updated for the expansion.

Of the new faction units, the Reaper might be my favorite, especially in the right conditions. Pairs well with a squadsight sniper, and can be used to scout the map better than anyone else. I've also found the claymore mines, and the Reapers' ability "Remote Start" to be a particularly good way of wreaking alien units, weakening them before the rest of the squad engages them. Skirmishers are pretty good too, at least in my experience. Had issues figuring out the Templar though. Might just be my playstyle doesn't go well with them.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Finished Yakuza 6.

I'm not sure how I feel about the ending, I can see what they were thinking but I'm not sure it works.

There were also some significant errors on the way to the end that really broke the spell for me too.
    Things like saying they'll storm the shipyard, but instead of fighting through enemies, it's an immediate cutscene jump to the final confrontation. Nor did Kiryu get to do his now trademark 'if you wish to die, come at me! speech. Nor do I get to beat the crap out of Sugin. That Iwami was this super villain didn't work either. Only at the end scenes do we get to see the characters of Daigo, Majima and Saejima too - who were great, but they were absent for the entire game. Granted, Daigo was in the slammer...
    . It's hard not to look at it and think it should have been more than it was.

All in all, it's a more stripped down game than either Zero or Kiwami and I think Kiwami 2 will really demonstrate how much was cut back.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It sounds like they really slimmed down to accommodate giving every side thing voice acting and I'm not sure that was the right call. Between that and (finally) changing engines it seems content took a big hit. Unfortunate.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    In terms of the general flow, the voice acting did add to the immersion, as did the way you can walk into and out shops and restaurants. But, as you say, it came at a price.

With a bit more time the Troubr missions might have been better, the fights more varied and there'd be more substories, though it sounds on that one like more are buried in minigames that I haven't found.

The title screen on this one lacked the video montage of games past - a small thing, but it stands out as I've worked my way through five of these now!

Despite all of this, I got a good 26 hours out of this initial run, which isn't small. I'm just sure it's less than previous games.

16. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I just finished the main story of the new God of War story and enjoyed it a lot (still a lot of side quests to go through). I didn't have much interest in the original GoW games, but this is in many ways a drastically different game yet still with tons of references. The fact that Kratos is far less of a jerk than he used to be helps a lot.

Fun combat, great story and of course excellent graphics. I'm still amazed at the great job they've done with Kratos. Its still the same Kratos with the same past, but he's changed a lot. In a way the game could even be described as a mythological father-son road trip. Now, back to the sidequests.

Reynar_Tedros and Life like this.
  17. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    God of War

[​IMG]

Not your father's Kratos.

I haven't been a fan of the God of War franchise for very long. If memory serves, I originally played the first game on the PlayStation 2 back around the time God of War II had come out well over a decade ago, and enjoyed it well enough but didn't think it was anything special. I dabbled in the second game but never got far. Fast forward to E3 2016 when Sony unveiled their newest entry in the series, featuring an older, bearded Kratos in a new mythology and a completely overhauled gameplay system, and I was immediately intrigued. When it was made clear that this would be a continuation of Kratos's story and not a reboot, I knew I'd have to play through the original trilogy. And I did, earlier this year, enjoying myself quite a bit most of the time. The scale of those games was unbelievably immense, and still unmatched to this day. The combat was fast and brutal. The story a blood-soaked tale of revenge. Kratos, back in those days, was a one-note, savage, borderline villainous protagonist, a vessel for the incessant violence the games constantly threw at you, lacking depth or development over the course of the three games (or more if you count the handheld spin-offs). That was fine back then, and it worked for what those games were. But the industry has evolved, the studio has evolved, and Kratos, finally, has evolved.

The new God of War is here, and it is incredible.

[​IMG]

The catalyst for Kratos's newfound depth is his son, Atreus. Their relationship is the beating heart of God of War, and it is told brilliantly. The Ghost of Sparta isn't a leading candidate for father of the year by any means, nor is his "boy" (as he most often refers to him) a flawless, innocent child like so many characters his age are portrayed in other games and media. They are flawed, and you feel their emotions and their struggles through every step of the intensely personal journey they've undertaken together. Unlike past God of War games, this one isn't a giant romp through ancient mythology on a massive scale. It's simple, it's focused, and it's restrained. Gone are the massive shots of the past where Kratos is a tiny blip on the screen as you move across prodigious Greek landscapes and architecture. Instead, 2018's God of War spans one continuous camera shot throughout the entire game, focusing in on Kratos and Atreus as they make their way across the lands of Norse mythology. Gone are the days of running into a god around every corner. You'll hear tales of these mysterious beings along the way, but you won't meet all of them. It is this scarcity that gives weight to every encounter, and it is this restraint that makes every interaction matter. There aren't many people in this world, but every side character you come across is immediately interesting with plenty of depth and personality, and each one adds to the story significantly, in their own way. You will remember them.

[​IMG]
    Jörmungandr, the World Serpent, looms over the Lake of Nine.

In the past, one could expect to be able to finish a God of War game in around seven to twelve hours. Not so here. This iteration is a significantly lengthier experience, thanks in no small part to the design of its gorgeous open world. There are many items to find that reveal more of the lore that permeates the game's story, which Atreus will recount in his journal that serves as God of War's codex. Every piece of lore you uncover, every beast you encounter, Atreus will document for your convenience. Everything is told from his point of view, and he'll go into detail about enemy tendencies and weaknesses as you battle more of them (e.g. "Father should hit this enemy during this phase to avoid this attack"). It's a small but clever way to flesh out Atreus's personality, in addition to the in-game dialogue you'll hear exchanged between him and his father throughout the game.

Like the game's side characters, there aren't many side quests in God of War, but the ones that are there are significant, drawn out, and add to the game in a way that many other game's side quests fail to come close to. There are large areas in the world that are completely optional and off the beaten path that you don't have investigate, but doing so will always yield some form of reward. Along the way you'll gather materials that you can use to craft new gear for Kratos and Atreus, with each piece looking different and containing different stats. You'll also gain experience for every combat encounter and quest you complete, which you can use to purchase new abilities in combat, and upgrade special moves. Most pieces of armor also have sockets in which you can place enchantments that have various bonus effects and stat boosts. It's a system with much more depth than franchise veterans will be used to, and early on it can feel pretty daunting. But once you're able to wrap your head around everything, it all works in a cohesive way that allows you to customize your play style and make Kratos your own.

[​IMG]
    Views like this are a dime a dozen with God of War's immersive, customizable HUD.

Combat in the new God of War is, you guessed it, quite different from the franchise's previous iterations. Square and Triangle have been replaced by R1 and R2 for light and heavy attacks, and though the game does give you the option to revert back to the old settings, the new layout makes far too much sense to make that a recommendation. Kratos has a new weapon of mass destruction in the form of the Leviathan Axe, and wow is it a fun weapon to use. Not only can Kratos mow enemies down left and right with sweeping melee attacks, he can also throw his axe at enemies from a distance. It works a little like a third person shooter. Aim with L2, press R1 or R2 for a ranged attack, and watch the axe cut through the air and through your foes. While Kratos's axe is out of his hands, he doesn't just suddenly stop fighting. You can continue to beat down enemies with your bare hands, and doing this causes each enemy's stun bar to fill up faster than normal. Located beneath the health bar, once an enemy's stun gauge fills up, Kratos can unleash a devastating finishing move that gives you a brief window of invulnerability (not unlike DOOM's melee finishers). The best part of all of this, however, is recalling the Leviathan Axe by pressing Triangle. Like Thor's legendary hammer Mjölnir, Kratos's Leviathan Axe returns to its owner's hand at will, and it's tough to explain the satisfaction that comes from this without experiencing it for yourself. The sound it makes as it soars back to you, seeing it hit enemies from behind on the way back, and the subtle vibration of the controller as Kratos catches it never gets old. It's one of the coolest weapons in video games and is an absolute blast to use.

But Kratos isn't the only one fighting this time. Atreus is a crucial part of God of War's combat, as he'll shoot arrows at enemies from a distance, occasionally fight them up close or hold them in place while you unload melee attacks, and call out enemy positions that you might not be able to see (the over the shoulder camera can make crowd control difficult at times). The game never feels like an escort mission, and Atreus is the complete opposite of a burden. He's an essential element to the gameplay, and raises the bar for AI companions in video games.

Fighting isn't all you'll be doing in God of War, however. There are environmental puzzles to solve, many of them involving the Leviathan Axe, which is imbued with the power of ice, enabling you to freeze some objects in place. None of the puzzles are especially difficult, and I never found myself beating my head against the wall trying to solve them. Like the rest of the game, they're paced well and never serve to hamper your progress in any noticeable way. The game's world also has elements of a Metroidvania, in that you'll come across certain chests or pathways that can't be accessed without an ability you'll learn later on in the game. The design of the world is smartly layered in a way that you'll almost always naturally come back to these areas with the required ability without even making an effort to do so, and I never found myself wondering what I needed to do next. It's all brilliantly put together, and it's obvious that great care went into the construction of God of War's world.

[​IMG]
    God of War's quiet moments are just as memorable, and important, as its big ones.

It's easy to view God of War from a distance as a beautiful, polished, big budget title that hits all the major notes a great game should. And it does. But look closer and you'll realize that it's a big game made up of a bunch of little things done right. The HUD is minimalist but informative, and totally customizable so that you can turn each feature on, off, or touchpad activated. The compass doesn't just give you the general direction of your destination, it tells you immediately where you need to go so that you don't run into a dead end (a la Fallout 3). The voice acting and motion capture is phenomenal, led by the always amazing Christopher Judge. The writing and characterization is masterful. Traversing the world never feels like a chore, and every little piece of geography has a purpose. The graphics are jaw droppingly beautiful, accompanied by a wonderful musical score and captivating sound design. The only two extremely minor gripes I can come up with are that the fast travel system isn't quite fast enough, and a lot of the abilities you unlock with XP didn't seem appealing to me, to the point that I was sitting on a ton of XP points and nothing I really wanted to spend them on. That may not even be the fault of the game, but just my own play style (and the fact that I played the game on the easiest setting and may not have needed abilities a higher difficulty would've demanded). It's just such a meticulously crafted game, and absolutely deserves all the accolades it's received. Typically in video games, it feels like you have to choose between great storytelling and great gameplay. Rarely do they ever come together in a complete package the way they have here. It's one of the best stories you'll ever see told in a game, and also some of the most fun you'll ever have playing one.

Not only has God of War totally reinvented itself and breathed new life into a franchise that desperately needed it, but it's completely redefined what a video game sequel can be. Like Kratos himself, God of War proves that a series doesn't have to be restrained by its past, but can break free of its shackles to grow and evolve into something better, something deeper. It is a shot in the arm for the industry, it is a triumph of epic proportions, it is, quite simply, a masterpiece of the highest order.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    =D= Quite the review RT.

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  19. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Finished the main story for God of War recently. Loved it. Need to go back and do a ton of side content in it! Such a great game though, truly.

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  20. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Okay, now I can understand the argument some fans make that this is the best game of its console generation. I disagree, but I love this game. I've never had so much fun getting my ass handed to me, at least not since Bloodborne, and that was an entirely different kind of fun. The graphics and the environments are beautiful, the music... God, the music, everything combines to give the game a great atmosphere and feel that is a stone cold good mood inducer. Just about every level is memorable with a unique hook, and it's just a damn joy to play. Even at $60, I'd highly recommend this game if you're looking for one of the best 2D platformers in years (since Rayman Legends, at the very least). Some variety in the bonus levels would've been nice, and I would've liked to have seen more of the classic animal buddies in addition to Rambi and Squawks (who you never take control of). The original DKC trilogy contains three of my favorite games of all time, so it's hard for me to say that Tropical Freeze belongs in that echelon. But it comes much closer than Returns did, and I really hope they continue making more of these.

Life likes this.
  21. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

God of War (2018)

First things first, this is the first God of War game I've ever played. I love fantasy games and I love mythology, so this was right up my alley. From the second it started to the second it ended, I was hooked. It never misses a beat and flows really smoothly from one plot point to the next. Is it the best fantasy game I've played? Definitely not. But there's still countless things to love. The first hour of the game may have actually been the best, as it all felt so fresh and exciting. Plus the first fight you have with Balder is one of the greatest boss battles I've ever played. It was actually mind blowing. But then sadly nothing in the rest of the game surpassed it. There were definitely other fantastic fights, which I'll get to in a minute, but none of them were on the level of that one.

I originally said that Horizon Zero Dawn had the best combat system I've ever played, but I think God of War has now taken that title. Wow! Wow wow wow! What an amazingly crafted combat system they've done here. I could see the technology advancing before my eyes. I guess the best way to describe the combat system would be a mixture of The Witcher 3 and DOOM. It's got all the fantasy elements with different powers and stuff, but it's also fast paced and smooth with some brutal takedowns. Throwing Kratos' axe into an enemy's head and calling it back into your hand was goddamn satisfying. I felt like Thor in Avengers: Infinity War. The blades were also awesome to use. The upgrade system they have in place was good and all, but would've been better had the game been longer so you could use all of your new moves more. This game certainly took scale to another level. That first fight with Balder had you smashing each other through mountains and throwing trees and boulders at each other. Then the enemies kept getting bigger and bigger, until you ended up fighting a dragon and a freaking giant. Really impressive stuff.

One thing I was really, really impressed with that I'd never seen in any game before, was the fact that one single shot was used for the entire game. I'm not kidding when I say the camera didn't cut to another character or another time frame or anything. Once the game started the shot didn't break once. Not even when the credits started rolling. The only way to break the shot was to trigger the end credit scene. This meant there was no loading times either. Cut scenes and gameplay flowed together so perfectly. The graphics were also stunning at every point in the game, especially whenever the World Serpent was used. It's crazy how much the technology is advancing these days. So the technical side of the game was perfect.

The narrative was well told. I had no problems there. The mythology elements made it really interesting. The characters were great, and I really enjoyed playing as Kratos. It really went deep into the character development of Kratos and Atreus, making the story that much more impactful. The supporting cast also got plenty of time to develop. I loved the world building. There were obviously some really creative minds of the development team, because wow! The way you could go between realms, which each had their own unique look and feel was incredible. Going to each of these realms kept the game even more fresher and exciting than it already was in the main realm. I would've liked to be able to explore more of the realms though. In fact my main complaint about the game is that it wasn't long enough. I feel like to get the most out of everything, like the story, game world and combat system, etc., it would've needed to be about double the length than it actually was. Because with other fantasy games like The Witcher 3, you get hours and hours to really take yourself into the game world, but I felt like God of War was over before I had the opportunity to do so. I don't need it to be 100 hours or anything crazy like that, but 30 for the main story would've been ideal. That may just be me though, so I'd be interested to know what everyone else thought of the length. With the open world, I felt that could've been better had it not had such a linear path to it. The game felt like a mixture of both open and closed world. But I understand why they did this from a narrative point of view. I also found the side quests quite uneventful and you wouldn't be missing anything if you skipped them all. The side quests in a lot of games can leave just as much impact as some of the main story quests, and can also help draw the length of the game out, so this could've been something for them to work on more. So I guess my main complaint is "I want more!", which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'll definitely be buying the sequel the day it comes out.

Scores

Narrative - 8
    Gameplay - 10
    Soundtrack - 8
    Characters - 8
    Performances - 10
    Graphics - 10
    Art direction - 10
    Open world - 8

Overall - 9/10

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Life likes this.
  22. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    Just finished playing Destiny 2 - Curse of Osiris DLC, and it was great. I really enjoyed it. I am going to play Warmind next :)

darkspine10 likes this.
  23. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Enjoyed hearing your thoughts on God of War, @Jordan1Kenobi, but some of that stuff definitely warrants spoiler tags. [face_worried]

24. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Dead space

Not the scariest game I've played and the jump scares can get predictable fast. However the game is dripping in grotesque atmosphere and the way you have to kill enemies is fairly unique even today. A overall execlent horror game that delivers especially in the setting and gameplay.

Life likes this.
  25. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I have to agree. Fire watch is an excellent game.

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.