main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What was the purpose of Darth Maul?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by DarthMJ, Aug 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Another purpose for Darth Maul: To see two apprentices from opposites sides to take on each other, alone. :cool:

2. DarthNeil

DarthNeil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2003
    And the use of darth maul just show's how sid can be caught out some times.

3. DarthNeil

Mar 24, 2003
    I agree with openmind.

4. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    We always need a Sith to battle the Jedi at the end of Star Wars. Maul was to kill one of the two Jedis so the other would release it's anger and remember what Yoda says.
    fear leads to anger
    anger leads to hate
    hate leads to suffering
    It's not that hard

5. Grand Admiral Thran

Grand Admiral Thran Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 22, 1999
    *puts on a turban and gets the envelope*

Hmmm...

*holds it to his head*

Money!

*opens the envelope and reads*

What was the purpose of Darth Maul?

-GAT

6. DarthNeil

Mar 24, 2003
    Why do people think that GL just put Darth maul in the TMP for money. He was and always will be need for the story. He is not a clown and so what if he did not say much, it dose not make him a cash cow for GL.

7. KiAdiMonday

KiAdiMonday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2003
    Darth Maul's role was simple and very important. He was there to expose the threat of the Sith to the Jedi. Sidious is working from behind the scenes so he couldn't be exposed so it had to be his apprentice.

8. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    Darth Maul's purpose was to show the audience that Sith= Baddie version of Jedi. Hence the horns, tattoos, lightsaber etc.

"An apprentice you have, master Qui Gon. Impossible to take on a second."

"Always two there are. A master and an apprentice. No more, no less."

"He was well trained in the Jedi Arts. My only conclusion can be that it was a Sith Lord."

In Episode III, we'll see Anakin turn, from Anakin's point of view. And for us to understand his decision, we will have to see why he thinks the Dark Side is the correct choice to make.

Darth Maul's character shows us the Sith are baddies, without actually telling us anything at all about the Sith or the Dark Side.

Which is why he doesn't ever say anything of any real consequence, apart from "at last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge." All that tells us is that the Sith don't like the Jedi, which as far as the story goes is all we need to know.

9. DarthNeil

Mar 24, 2003
    I agree with Scott3eyez.

10. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Having Dark Maul, or at least a Sith, in TPM was important, as was Qui-gon. Not having either Maul (or an equivalent) or Qui-gon (or an equivalent) would have made the film less interesting, IMHO. The three-tiered Lightsaber duel at the end was pure brilliance, and couldn't have been done if Obi-wan were the only main Jedi in the film.

I also think Maul was there to show the beginnings of the rise of the Dark side. He was the precursor to Darth Sideous (even though Sideous was in TPM), and a hint of the dark things to come in the saga.

So, yes, DM was very important to the plot of TPM, and to the Star Wars Saga as a whole.

11. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    "He was well trained in the Jedi Arts. My only conclusion can be that it was a Sith Lord."

UM, this quote has bugged me before. "Jedi Arts" + violent attack = "Sith Lord"???

Um, aren't these opposing factions? Wouldn't it make more sence to say someting like "He was in tune with the Force and used it to counter me during our fight. Since I've never seen anything like him and he attacked us so vigorously, with facial expressions of anger and hate, I think he might have been a Sith."

I still think it could have been done without Maul, and that it could have been done better, with or without him.

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    No, I think "Jedi Arts" is correct. The Jedi aren't a police force, there a religious order with political responsibility. Thus:

Jedi Arts- the things they actually do, physical. Lightsaber dueling, some of the more strenuous physical feats, etc. These are the "arts" or simple rote physical tasks tied to being a Jedi.

Jedi Philosophy- advanced Force powers, philosophy, everything else that Jedi do. This is the religious and theoritical aspect of Jedi training.

To make a real-world example. Consider medicine:

Medical Arts- Learning how to handle a scalpel, how to do stitches, etc. The rote physical tasks of being a doctor.

Medical Theory- Understanding why what you do works the way it does. Biochemistry, anatomy, using judgement to know when and when not to do surgery, etc

Thus its possible for someoen to have mastered just the "arts" part of either without knowing anything else.

13. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    But they aren't exclusively Jedi arts. Sith, another religious order, also uses lightsabers.
    Fencing and Kenjutsu both involve swords, but use them in vastly different ways. Give a Kenjutstuka a saber and a Fencer a Shinai, and they will not be able to match the other's style.

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    But the Sith came about as a Jedi Heresy. So since the Jedi pre-dated the Sith, it would be logical that they would be called "Jedi Arts". Further, since the Sith had been vanquished for a millennia, in effect, the Jedi were the only people associated with such skills. Thus, common usage would dictate that they be called "Jedi Arts".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.