main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What was the purpose of Luke's green saber in "Jedi"?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by bluesaber70, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    The bitterness is swelling.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I thought I read somewhere that the green and blue blades are created by natural crystals that the Jedi find, while the red blades of the Sith are created by synthetic crystals.

OK, I just found it HERE. May have read it elsewhere too.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/0/09/CrystalCave2.jpg/240px-CrystalCave2.jpg]

4. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Thanks for the link eht. :)

Quite informative.

5. Aggravated71

Aggravated71 Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2009
    The lack of Faith in Lukes Jedi skills to build a new lightsaber here is disturbing.

6. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Where would we be without adegan crystals? :D

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They are. But at the time of the Empire, the locations of the lightsaber's crystal caves were destryoed, so the only option was to make a synthetic crystal. That's why there are so many colours on the New Jedi Order.

8. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    I think I read it too somewhere (not Wookieepedia)

What about mace's Purple Lightsaber - is that a natural crystal; or synthetic?

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Natural, very rare.

10. PalpatineWasFramed

PalpatineWasFramed Jedi Knight

Feb 26, 2009
    I've always liked the idea that the differently colored sabers behave slightly differently. My basis for that idea?and this is just my theory, not something I've ever read?is in the fighting styles used by the Jedi we see in the movies. Jedi who use a blue saber seem to fight more aggressively, such as young Obi-wan and Anakin. Jedi with a green saber?Yoda, Qui-gon, RotJ Luke?seem to fight more defensively, as if a green saber is more effective at parrying than blue.

Red sabers would then presumably be ideal for both attack and defense, but of course, only available to Sith due to the Dark powers necessary for their creation.

That's just how I've always liked to look at it. Think about it next time you're watching the movies, though; the different colors do seem to line up with different fight tactics, whether or not it's simply coincidence.

11. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I dislike bursting your bubble, Framed, but Luke's style on the Sail Barge and against Vader in the Throne Room is largely offensive and aggressive. On the barge he strikes foe after foe, advancing his position to the next combatant. And the epic barrage Luke gives his dad in the Throne Room corridor is anything but defensive.

Also, it is Anakin's second, green saber which is bisected on Geonosis; it would seem a more purely defensive tool would not be so open to decimation. And Qui-Gon's green-sabered defenses are swiftly breached by a cheap gag.

I cannot accept your classification, but if it works for you don't let me talk you out of it. :D

12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Must be SamuelLJacksonRequestedPurple crystals. :p

13. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I don't know if you've played KOTOR, but that's largely similar to the approach they took in that game. There were three different classes of Jedi: Guardian, Sentinel, and Jedi Consulars. Guardians typically wielded blue, Sentinels typically wielded yellow, and Consulars typically wielded green. Each rank had a specialization, as well as its own type of fighting, much like what you said. The different colored lightsabers themselves didn't behave different, but the Jedi who wielded them did.

14. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Wow... I remember the time just after TPM was released. Back then, one of the major theories was that blade color represented rank. Padawans used blue while knights and masters used green. Perhaps not the worst idea.

Ah, how naive we all were.

15. popeyesfriedchicken

popeyesfriedchicken Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2009
    the blue one broke. lucasfilms didn't have time to order a new one from the aliens on mars, all they had in stock were green.

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I though he wanted the in universe explanation, not the behind the scenes one. ;)

17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
  18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    :confused:

Laugh it up, fuzzball.

19. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Does anyone believe that Luke's green saber symbolizes his newly declared knighthood?

20. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Not really, because "green" doesn't mean knighthood. Up until that point, the only lightsaber color for a Jedi was blue, such as Obi-Wan's. There's really no way to have that bit of symbolism make any sense.

21. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Well, regardless of blade color, the newly constructed saber is a symbol of knighthood due to the fact that Luke crafted the weapon himself. Sorry... I didn't mean to suggest that color determines rank.

22. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Knighthood or not, it's important that it's his. With a blue one that would be less clear or could get lost completely because nobody but prop nerds look at lightsaber hilts ;)

23. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    ^ This is true; most viewers would not have noticed until Vader pointed it out to them: "I see you have constructed a new lightsaber".

24. starwarsfanrol

starwarsfanrol Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2009
    Maybe it was a graphics glich or he just put in a green crystle but i doubt it.But i really like the idea of it being master Qui-Gon's saber crystle now i belive that.

25. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    ... a graphics glitch? o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.