main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What was TPM's biggest drawback?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by sdj, Mar 3, 2002.

?

What was TPM's biggest drawback?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. Took too long to come out and gave people too much time to form their own ideas of how it should be

18.5%
  2. Jar Jar's antics

7.9%
  3. Jake Lloyd's acting

4.8%
  4. Midichlorians

2.6%
  5. The overuse of CG

1.1%
  6. Not enough Obi Wan

6.9%
  7. Not enough Darth Maul

4.2%
  8. Other (Please Specify)

9.0%
  9. Several of these (Which Ones)

22.8%
  10. Nothing

22.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    So called TPM bashers are still Star Wars fans and as such have every reason to come to theforce.net forums as much as they want. What *I* will never understand is why they come into the TPM forum.

I think that Star Wars fan fiction is lame. I would never READ any fan fiction nor would I ever write any. But I do not go into the Fan Fiction Forums and bash fan fiction.

What we (people who like pretty much all of TPM) need to remember is that people like Patrick_Russell and Stone_Jedi and others actually like parts of TPM ... they just have issue with other things. So THEY are here because they like TPM. But they are also sharing their opinions about what they feel was wrong with the film.

Despite the fact that I frequently disagree with what Patrick_Russell and Stone_Jedi and others have to say about parts of TPM, I will always defend their right to be here sharing their opinions.

2. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Well said, strilo :).

3. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    T'anks, Strilo. ;)

4. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    Guys, although i am not an admin, i think that was getting close to a G/B war. This is a nice topic, i would hate to see it gone. This is not the place to debate the philosophy of the gushers/bashers minds.

Will GL make a special edition of TPM, and if he does, will he touch up on some of these little problems that we are nitpicking? I doubt it, but there is the hope.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I believe there WILL be a special edition of TPM someday but I do not believe that it will fix or change any of them drawbacks I see in the film.

6. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I'm actually surprised that Nothing got as many votes as it has.

7. EnforcerSG

Sep 12, 2001
    Well, it is like some gushers say, many bashers find better uses with their time than to come to the TPM forums. IMHO, the bulk of ppl on this board are gushers simply because most bashers dont care or dont want to come here.

8. PaDmE-GuRl

PaDmE-GuRl Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2002
    I think the biggest problem was all that stuff concerning the Trade Federation and all that political mumbojumbo. I always fast-forward that during the Courescant scenes.

9. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Parts of TPM were almost about as interesting as watching someone buy a tie.

10. EnforcerSG

Sep 12, 2001
    Well, a part of me says if you figured it out easly, a person might think it is stupidly ovious. Like if after you saw the doctor in 6th sense get shot and figure the ending out right there, all the hints of the ending are going to be right there, super ovious. But if you dont get it, or were spoiled and somehow found those parts of the story exciting, then it will seem clever and good. At least, that is what i think.

11. DarthTorgo

DarthTorgo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2002
    <<I think the biggest problem was all that stuff concerning the Trade Federation and all that political mumbojumbo. I always fast-forward that during the Courescant scenes. >>

That political stuff was the best story element of the movie, INMHO. I would have liked to see more political intrigue instead of some stupid rabbit/frog thing falling down all the time, shoplifting, and acting effeminate.

12. PaDmE-GuRl

Mar 8, 2002
    Another thing that ticked me off was the potrayal of the Jedi. All through the OT it was saying how cool and butt-kickingly heroic they were. Now all we see is a whole bunch of old guys sitting on their butts. Yoda was the only one that actually seemed to move. Now, I was expecting them to be more mobile then that. They send all the other, less-powerful-then-thou guys out to do all the work for them. Anybody else peeved?

13. DarthTorgo

Feb 17, 2002
    <<Another thing that ticked me off was the potrayal of the Jedi. All through the OT it was saying how cool and butt-kickingly heroic they were. Now all we see is a whole bunch of old guys sitting on their butts. Yoda was the only one that actually seemed to move. Now, I was expecting them to be more mobile then that. They send all the other, less-powerful-then-thou guys out to do all the work for them. Anybody else peeved? >>

I thought Obi-Wan's character was done COMPLETLEY wrong.

14. 2HereKnowsWhen

2HereKnowsWhen Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2002
    With the Jedi, it's not that I didn't like what I saw, it's that I didn't see enough of them! I always figured that there would be Jedis on the counsel and those out in the field. I've got no beef with that. What I didn't care for was that we didn't get to see them interacting very much. It's an opportunity lost. Yeah, sure there are 2 more movies to go, but why not give us something in this one?

Wouldn't it have been great to see what the counsel said about Anakin being trained, the prophesy, the turmoil in the senate, hell...the Sith! Anything! Maybe next time, huh?

I think the whole Anakin thing would have played out better if Lucas would have had him stay with the Jedi and let Qui-gon and Obi-wan go back to Naboo with the queen. Why take a child to a war zone, anyway? Especially one to whose mother you had just sworn to protect! If he's the Chosen One wouldn't the Counsel want to keep their eyes on him at all times?

And I know that this has been said before, but as I was watching TPM last night I realised that it could have been much more interesting to have Obi-wan go into town instead of Qui-gon. Sure, he's the man in AOTC, but damn, could you imagine how Obi-wan would have reacted to Watto? It would have been classic! And with the way that he feels about Jar Jar, there could have been a real chance to spark some true comedic fire into the character instead of the Scooby Doo like behavior that we saw. It could have been like a galactic What About Bob. Plus, the relationship between him and Anakin could have gotten started much earlier than it did. As it stands, Lucas is forced to somehow develop a believably great friendship in the span of two flicks. One really, because I think it's safe to say that by EP.3 the love is over. So many opportunities to max out this film's greatness and so many of them were passed on.

15. OrlandoT

OrlandoT Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 1999
    <<Another thing that ticked me off was the potrayal of the Jedi. All through the OT it was saying how cool and butt-kickingly heroic they were. Now all we see is a whole bunch of old guys sitting on their butts. Yoda was the only one that actually seemed to move. Now, I was expecting them to be more mobile then that. They send all the other, less-powerful-then-thou guys out to do all the work for them. Anybody else peeved? >>

So, what would you have them do? Flips and kicks while they debate about the Chosen One?

16. PruneF8ce

PruneF8ce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Another thing that ticked me off was the potrayal of the Jedi. All through the OT it was saying how cool and butt-kickingly heroic they were. Now all we see is a whole bunch of old guys sitting on their butts. Yoda was the only one that actually seemed to move. Now, I was expecting them to be more mobile then that. They send all the other, less-powerful-then-thou guys out to do all the work for them.

Its possible that GL wanted to point this out by driving it home in TPM. Possibly a reason for their downfall. Beaurocracy (sp). Another point I might add would be the red tape for the chosen one. "The code forbids" Qui Gon train Anakin even though this could be the case. Rules are rules :p Its a tie in with the rebublic methinks. Mission accomplished. Not bad scripting.

As a matter of fact, this is a wonderful point I must say. Im making a topic about the republic and its Jedi counterparts...

17. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    "Another thing that ticked me off was the potrayal of the Jedi. All through the OT it was saying how cool and butt-kickingly heroic they were. Now all we see is a whole bunch of old guys sitting on their butts."

Perhaps you missed the first 10 minutes and the last half hour. I seem to remember quite a bit of Jedi heroics on display.

I sometimes wonder if some people around here saw the same movie I did. Just to clarify . . STAR WARS: Episode I - The Phantom menace.

Ring a bell?

-Otis

18. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Well one reason I think he decided to include Qui Gon is so he could still have Obi Wan in the movie (but as a beginer) without showing you just how good the jedi are, but still at the same time give us a taste. Obi Wan will surpass Qui Gon in the next movies I'm sure and then we'll see some real action. If he made Obi Wan a master then people might think "Obi wan is not that good" but as it stands now they usually say "Obi Wan was pretty good for a Padawan"

Besides it puts Obi in a place where he ends up with Anakin while he himself is not ready to train anyone.

19. PruneF8ce

Feb 5, 2002
    it puts Obi in a place where he ends up with Anakin while he himself is not ready to train anyone.

Exactly. It doesnt make him a incompetent Jedi, making him a padawan shortly before training anakin just makes him an inexperienced one.

20. DarthTorgo

Feb 17, 2002
    Ditto, 2hereknowswhen. Or, he could accompany qui-gon, so they could develop their relationship more.

21. 2HereKnowsWhen

2HereKnowsWhen Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2002
    Yeah, you've got a good point DarthTorgo!

Why not have both of the Jedi go into Tatooine? I mean, who better to deal with the hassles of a rough and tumble place like that than the Jedi. Plus, we could have gotten some much needed character interaction between not only Obi/Qui, but Obi/Anakin as well.

And for the love of God, leave Binx on the ship!:)

22. PaDmE-GuRl

Mar 8, 2002
    Well, I kinda expected them to get out more and not sit around in that building drinking tea and chatting. And since I was kinda frustrated about something when I wrote that, I meant that Qui Gon and Obikenobi were mostly doing all the work for them. No, I wouldn't want them being all chopsocky every second, but I would at least like them to be more involved with things. Or is this their day off?

23. PruneF8ce

Feb 5, 2002
    I had a theory on that, PaDmE-GuRl. Why dont you check it out up there.

24. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    "Parts of TPM were almost about as interesting as watching someone buy a tie."

What sort of tie, Hawk?

Anyway, I'll drag out this quote of yours again:

"I loved The Phantom Menace"

What scam are you trying to pull? ;)

25. OrlandoT

OrlandoT Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 1999
    >>>>Why not have both of the Jedi go into Tatooine? I mean, who better to deal with the hassles of a rough and tumble place like that than the Jedi. Plus, we could have gotten some much needed character interaction between not only Obi/Qui, but Obi/Anakin as well.<<<<

Both Jedi couldn't go because that would leave the ship unguarde.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.