main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What was TPM's biggest drawback?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by sdj, Mar 3, 2002.

?

What was TPM's biggest drawback?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. Took too long to come out and gave people too much time to form their own ideas of how it should be

18.5%
  2. Jar Jar's antics

7.9%
  3. Jake Lloyd's acting

4.8%
  4. Midichlorians

2.6%
  5. The overuse of CG

1.1%
  6. Not enough Obi Wan

6.9%
  7. Not enough Darth Maul

4.2%
  8. Other (Please Specify)

9.0%
  9. Several of these (Which Ones)

22.8%
  10. Nothing

22.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSBurroughs

WSBurroughs Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 2002
    Sorry for assuming that someone would clearly follow their own continuity. I feel so humilated right now.

2. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    TPM's biggest drawback has clearly been a fractured fanbase that has bled over to dwindling respect for the franchise. Since TPM didn't live up to people's fanboy-induced expectations, they have decided to kick and scream until their voices have become the vocal minority. It's too bad, since this is a time when all fans of the franchise should be anxiously awaiting the conclusion of the story that's caputred our imagination for a generation.

3. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    If that's all you assumed WSBurroughs, then there shouldn't be any problem, because he -is- following continuity.

4. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    If these pieces have to be MADE to fit with all sorts of "certain point of view" justifications, as continues to be the case, then they can't be all that congruent to begin with.

IMHO, that's one of TPM's biggest drawbacks.

5. Jedi-Monkey

Jedi-Monkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    I voted 'Other' although I was tempted to vote 'nothing'. But one thing could have made this a better movie: MORE YODA! I'm not gonna say anything about the 16-year wait, because that's not my problem. I went into the movie with an open mind and without (too many :) ) preconceptions, so I enjoyed it immensely. Yeah, the Midichlorian thing is goofy, but I didn't let it ruin the movie for me. Was Jake Lloyd's acting wooden. Yeah, it kinda was, but it was Oscar-worthy compared to Keannu Reeves 'acting' in The Matrix. Did Jar Jar start to get annoying. Yeah, I have to agree with the person who said he should have become more serious during the end battle. But other than that he didn't bother me.

So the only things that would have made this a better movie was more Yoda, and a LOT LESS CHILDISH, POINTLESS WHINING FROM "FANS!" Give it a rest already.

6. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Go-Mer: You're entitled to your opinion that some of us are "selfish", but that doesn't mean that posting such phrases is polite or protected by the TOS. Remember that we're discussing the films not the fans.

royalguard96 and Jedi-Monkey: Again, we're discussing the films, not the fans. If you can't abide by that simple rule, you don't have to post here, and I can arrange that. Reread the TOS about respecting opinions.

And Go-Mer, before you make a comment, the TOS covers opinions of the films/books/merchandise/EU/etc., not opinions of the fans.

7. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I see what you mean.

8. Jedi-Monkey

Dec 4, 2002
    Well, since about two-thirds of the posts in this thread were attacking fans, and indeed one of the choices was more or less that it was the fans' own fault, which is pretty much what I said, only worded differently, I don't really think what you said was right either. Especially since my earlier post WAS answering the question, What was TPM's biggest drawback?, and didn't include anything that wasn't in the original listed choices, (except for the Yoda thing.)

Took too long to come out and gave people too much time to form their own ideas of how it should be = It's the fans' own fault.

It's the fans' own fault means we need LESS CHILDISH, POINTLESS WHINING FROM "FANS!"

But I'm not here to cause trouble, so whatever dude. If you want an apology, fine. I apologize. I promise I'll play nice now, (even though I wasn't NOT playing nice before.)

So for the record, I apologize for saying more or less that it was the fans' own fault if the movie didn't seem that good.

(Even though that WAS one of the choices.)

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Jedi-Monkey, once you realize this is a forum that specifically caters to TPM and George Lucas detrators, you will see there is no use trying.

10. Jedi-Monkey

Dec 4, 2002
    Go-Mer, I think I see. What a shame. So much for intelligent debate. That would require differing opinions. Also a shame you changed your post, but that's your perogative, and I will respect that. Too bad. This COULD have been an interesting and fun topic. Maybe it still will be, but I will not be here to see it. There is absolutely no point in participating in a discussion or debate if only one point of view is allowed to be expressed. I'll stick to some of the other forums where discussion and debate are allowed and even encouraged. Again, what a cryin' shame, but that's life right? Goodbye.

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I edited my post because I don't want to derail this thread anymore than we have already.

12. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    I thought Patrick Russell's posts were pretty controversy-safe and yet they tried to make his points, Go-Mer. You're complaining about favoritism against you and for TPM detractors, but you're not paying attention to the posts on both sides that are deemed acceptable. If you did, you'd see that folks aren't taking their arguments from the approach that there is a problem with YOU or your outlook. Heck, I could go on all day that way about gushers and bashers, though I'd expect to be warned after pissing a bunch of people off.

It's obvious that you instintively see this as a way to make your points because you keep coming back to this as a habit. This has been a long-running truth and the concept has worn thin. So much so that when you do it, it's far less acceptable (because folks have their guard up) than if perhaps someone else does it. Certain others with your Star Wars views don't have this history or overarching habit -- SomeRandomNerd is an excellent example. As I've discovered over the years, you're a likeable enough fellow away from discussion in a thread, so I think there's the potential for you and us to get along.

I don't know, I'm not a mod but that may be exactly why I can help.

13. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I didn't mean to imply favoritism. I was just pointing out that unlike most fan forums, detractors are just as welcome as the enthusiasts. Other places would send them packing, and when you first come here that difference isn't always clear. I know that realization has helped me to get along with everyone here a little better.

14. Malthus

Mar 31, 1999
    Does it hurt to talk like that, Go-Mer? :)

If I'm mistaken, please forgive me. I guess what threw me off was "this is a forum that specifically caters to TPM- and George Lucas-detractors" and I considered that a definite complaint about favoritism.

15. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Does it hurt to talk like what?

I shouldn't have used the term "specifically" I guess.

16. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    detractors are fans of Star Wars too, and they have an opinion.

You can't make them 100% be loyal to the prequels.

Maybe it seems that there are more detractors, because more people do not like TPM.

17. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    It could also be do to them being more vocal about it.

But nobody is quesitoning anyone's fan status, and we have derailed this thread way too much...

TPM's biggest drawback was...

I can't think of anything.

18. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    67% of people who voted on this poll

(I discounted the question at the top and the one at the bottom), said there was some kind of drawback.

I'm not trying to convince you, it's good that you like it. But the majority of people think there was some kind of drawback to TPM as listed on this poll.

19. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
  20. Malthus

Mar 31, 1999
    Go-Mer, just smile dude. I was referring to the politically correct high-speak that you said here:
    I know that realization has helped me to get along with everyone here a little better.

It was probably at least half true and from the heart, was just making a joke my man.

Also... don't hurt my friend ksid here with those kinds of questions.

21. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Hows this?

22. Malthus

Mar 31, 1999
    LOL! Is that the sun in your eyes or are you just happy to see me?

23. BLUEJEDI3

BLUEJEDI3 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    1 character Jar Jar

He is just stupid and as Obi said "pathetic".

But i still love the movie.

24. CIR

CIR Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2001

FOUR THINGS

1) TELL NOT SHOW. BIG MISTAKE!

2) Poorly written scenes. For instance when Qui-Gon and Obi-One go into these wonderous palces they never take time to say anything about them.

3) Overuse of characters and underuse of other characters (Jar-Jar, Sidiuos: Darth Maul, Obi-Wan)

4) Inconsitent theme. We have cartoon characters killnig each other at breakneck speeds.

Thougths...

25. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    And AOTC was better?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.