What was TPM's biggest drawback?

Discussion in 'The Phantom Menace' started by sdj, Mar 3, 2002.

?

What was TPM's biggest drawback?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
Took too long to come out and gave people too much time to form their own ideas of how it should be 35 vote(s) 18.5%
Jar Jar's antics 15 vote(s) 7.9%
Jake Lloyd's acting 9 vote(s) 4.8%
Midichlorians 5 vote(s) 2.6%
The overuse of CG 2 vote(s) 1.1%
Not enough Obi Wan 13 vote(s) 6.9%
Not enough Darth Maul 8 vote(s) 4.2%
Other (Please Specify) 17 vote(s) 9.0%
Several of these (Which Ones) 43 vote(s) 22.8%
Nothing 42 vote(s) 22.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CIR Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yes!

I LOVE AOTC!

Quit following me around!
  2. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Well, I picked the gap between ROTJ & TPM. This was a great strength as well as weakness. TPM could not have been the film it was if had been made in the 1980's.

But the expectation & hype level grew with the passage of time, and for many, that became a huge obstacle to enjoying what TPM is.
  3. Cyber_SkyForce Jedi Knight

star 3
    I posted other not because the movie was bad, cause it wasn't, its because the thing didn't have enough action. you may think it did but the action that it had wasn't the athunic SW action. It was all ground fighting and the seans to long to really have much chance to change pace. I must admit i prefered it to the love story the second came out to be.
  4. dizfactor Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    1 - too much CGI. this holds for th PT in general. it comes across as cold and cartoonish
    2- too much focus on Qui-Gon and not enough on Obi-Wan
    3- Anakin's too young and Jake Lloyd can't act. the other actors called him "Mannequin Skywalker" behind his back for a reason
    4- the pod race is pointless and takes too much time. the plot points could have been achieved better some other way
    5- Jar jar
    6- Jar jar
    7- the racist depicitons of the aliens
    8- no real sense of danger through the entire movie
  5. WSBurroughs Jedi Knight

With the exception of Jake Lloyds acting, I agree with you Ditz. Jake probably is an ok actor; We know for certian that Ewan, Liam, Samuel L and even Natalie have a few brilliant onscreen preformances. Its safe to bet the director is to blame for the lackluster prefomrances in the prequels.
  6. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Other. Some script problems and some scenes that should of happened with Characters growing up in the short amount of time together. Another reason could be that some people demanded too much from George Lucas and have forgotten what Star Wars was like when they were young? There expectations of movies have grown, as you can see today with some movies that if releases years earlier would be masterpieces. Time is making people more ungrateful and more demanding.
  7. artemis_fowl Force Ghost

star 4
    It was OK. There were no drawbacks. (At least nothing that I could think of)
  8. The___ Jedi Knight

star 3
    Took too long to come out and gave people too much time to form their own ideas of how it should be

Yes, people like me.

Which makes me add my ideas here:

Episode one should not have gone so far back in time. I think the significant parts (Shmi, Padme) in TPM could have been covered in terrible dream sequences and/or flashbacks which make the watcher guess and speculate, rather than lay the entire story of Anakin's history on the table. The saga should have started with Anakin training in his teens at the Jedi Academy. Too much jumping forward in time with each movie gives shotty results.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.