main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What was Vader's military rank in new canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Slowpokeking, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I can't find any official rank of Vader, he didn't have any political title as well. It looks like he's just the enforcer/hand of the Emperor so it doesn't matter much to him. Other than the Emperor and maybe Tarkin in some areas, nobody is above him.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    As a Dark Lord of the Sith, he was pretty rank.

3. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Well, it was below Grand General, as Vader took orders from Cassio Tagge in the Vader comics.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Vader is working his way up the ladder in the Darth Vader series as his standing with the Emperor has fallen considerably since the destruction of the Death Star, but there hasn't been an official, official pronouncement of his rank in the military. Palpy just told him "you go answer to that guy!" and the Imps keep snooping about Vader because they believe he's up to schemes (which he is!)

As the man sez himself to Doctor Aphra.

"There was a time I had armies at my beck and call. That time has passed. I need resources of my own. Private resources."

Besides, he don't need anybody but her.

[​IMG]

Darth_Pevra and Darth Dnej like this.
  5. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I don't think Vader ever actually had a rank besides "wherever in the command structure the Emperor sees fit to put him." Or wherever he manages to intimidate or trick Imperial officers into letting him go.

BobaMatt and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Not necessarily true. As noted above, Vader's rank is whatever the Emperor says it is. That's usually "above everyone else," except when the Emperor gives Vader a boss to annoy him.

7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't much care for the comics handling of Vader.

Vader was AGAINST the Death Star and did his best to prop up a sinking ship.

Voltron64 likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Doesn't mean ole Sheev is gonna see it that way. Vader's taking the blame for basically Tarkin's overconfidence and since Sidious can't torture Tarkin since he got atomized and all, Palpy takes it out on Vader.

Darth_Pevra, Voltron64 and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    In Lords of the Sith it seems like he's thought of as one step under the Emperor. I do think though Palpatine puts him under this person or that as a means to control him so in effect it's not official but fairly high.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    I think he says this verbatim, actually. "Yes, there are plenty of people to blame, but you're the one who survived," or something like that.

Darth_Pevra, Iron_lord and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Vader is taking the blame for Palpatine's mistake. We all know that Palpatine was the one who started the whole Death Star disaster but now he acts as if it was the idiocity of his officers.

Jedi Ben and Darth Dnej like this.
  12. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    If you look at it from Palpatine's point of view, the Death Star wasn't a bad idea. Its defense was just badly handled. Which I don't think is exactly wrong: look at the damage a handful of TIE fighters wreaked on the Rebel force, now imagine if they'd bothered to send out the full contingent. The Death Star would probably still exist, and the Rebellion would've been wiped out.

Not that that makes it Vader's fault. I agree with Charlie that he was the one propping up a sinking ship. I just don't think it was really Palpy's fault either. I pin it on Tarkin, who was in command of the base and responsible for its defense. But of course, Tarkin's not around, so... Palpatine, admittedly unfairly, blames the only one big shot who survived.

BigAl6ft6 and LelalMekha like this.
  13. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Vader's rank is kind of an enigma at the moment. He outranks Generals, Admirals, Moffs, etc. but it appears Palpatine has chosen to make him subservient to Grand General Tagge. In the Legends continuity, I think Vader was the Supreme Commander of the Imperial Forces or something. As of right now, I think his rank in the Imperial hierarchy is not as clear.

14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    The primary focus of the Vader comic is about Vader's personal agenda instead of his duties he has for the Empire. So we aren't getting all that detailed of view of his rank within the Empire just yet. Just that he answers to Tagge and he has people keeping an eye on him.

BigAl6ft6 and Darth Dnej like this.
  15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012

The first Death Star's laser can't aim on small moving targets. It seems that the Empire thought it was the design of the Death Star's problem.

16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Palpatine blames Vader for the fact that the Death Star itself was a misguided idea. He's simply a lying boss who rather blames his underlings than admit to a mistake.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Death Star is a good idea, a superweapon plus a mobile military base is quite useful in the galaxy, but they failed to use and protect it well. I would say it was Tarkin's fault.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's the rank of 'Are you going to tell him no?'

19. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    The Death Star was a good idea, but it's design was the result of what happens when you contract your design team to Geonosians. :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I can totally imagine an over eager officer trying to tell Vader that he "technically" isn't in command of an operation and getting immediately choked to death.

Darth_Pevra, BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It's not good at attack small moving targets, so it would require a lot of battle cruisers and TIE to protect it.

22. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Supreme Errand Boy. :p

Darth_Pevra and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't remember the comic doing it that way. And Palpatine would not have authorized the building of a second one if he believed the building of the first one was misguided.

24. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Vader has always had an invisible rank and I don't want canon to change that anytime soon

Sarge likes this.