main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What was your audience like?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by I Are The Internets, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. resnictem

resnictem Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 3, 1999
    Every seat was sold for the 9:30 am Friday showing I attended. It was a sausage fest, I was one of the few women there and the age range was mainly 25-34. Saw a guy I knew walking out as I was walking in, but like everyone attending the previous showing, he seemed lost in thought, so I didn't approach. It was a 3D showing, and I have to say for myself, I don't think on subsequent viewings I'm going to see it in 3D, too dark with the glasses on. It wasn't a raucous crowd at all, people laughed in the right places but subdued, like they were really paying attention. There were a couple of little kids that came in with a couple of guys, but they were completely silent. Most stayed for the credits.

2. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    They clapped, they cheered, and so did I.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm getting jealouser and jealouser.

4. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999
    A bunch of people at my first showing took pictures of the screen when the Star Wars logo showed up. Bunch of flashes going off. Idiots. After that, though, it was a great audience. Lots of applause and laughter at the funny moments (BB-8's "thumbs up" was a big winner). Dead silence at Han's death and pretty much up until the lightsaber confrontation. When Rey got the saber someone behind me yelled "Yeah! Kick his a--!" and everybody cheered. Scattered applause at the end when Luke appeared but not much excitement/applause as the movie ended. More of an "Uh, okay...." vibe.

5. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Crowd on Opening Night was very quiet outside of laughs. Crowd on Sunday Night was much better. Were into it but still made sure you didn't miss anything. Got a great round of applause after the film ended.

One thing to keep in mind: Opening Night was barely half full at best. Meanwhile Sunday night I saw it at IMAX 3D and it was completely filled outside of the first two rows which I don't believe they sell the tickets to.

6. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    They all loved it.

7. kombat

kombat Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    I went to a 1:05pm showing on Sunday at the theater was about 3/4 full. We arrived at 12:25, waited in line for 15 minutes at concessions, and were still the second group to sit down in the theater.

Mostly laughs, and some ooh's and aah's, mostly for appearances of old characters and the Falcon. Not much verbal reaction to Han's death or Luke's appearance. About a third clapped at the end.

8. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Here's why you go opening night: Applause on opening night is expected, applause on a Monday night five days after release is laughed at.

9. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    My audience was horrible. I found the biggest theater in my area for the first showing.

No costumes, no cheering, no excitement, it was really dull.

I saw all the prequels opening night and everyone was ecstatic, it was great!

I guess buying tickets online with assigned seating really hurt the experience, rather be fans that camped out for tickets like I did for Episode I.

It really hurt the experience, and no longer really feel like it's worth seeing on opening night besides avoiding spoilers.

The exciment was gone. I think next time I will wait till the crowds die down cause it ain't worth it without the party vibe.

10. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    On my first viewing, it was the midnight release and most of the audience were casual Star Wars fans. Clapping an cheering when the movie ended and laughers at every joke. It was great fun and an amazing atmosphere! :)

The second viewing, the audience were much quieter, less laughter and no clapping at the end. They were more casual movie goers. [face_sigh]

11. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    There are countless videos on YouTube of opening night audience reactions, which means people with their phones out and on. Surely many of them rang. That's one reason why I didn't go on the night of the 17th.

12. AbsolX

AbsolX Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 30, 2015
    I didn't go to any opening screenings, but my audience was still pretty good. They all laughed at the same parts (OT throwbacks). My younger brother was really freaked out at some of the more PG13 parts of the movie.

13. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Hey I had a similar experience though people did actually get dressed up and seemed super excited to be there at the beginning .. until the film began when no one did or said or reacted to .. anything. It was weird.

Next time, i am going to find out where the hard core fans are going and tag along with them. I did this once when the SE of ANH came out and the atmosphere was amazing..

14. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Morning showing on a Sunday, still packed nearly to capacity. There was quite a bit of laughter (it's a very funny movie)

- excitement when Han, Leia, and Luke first showed up.
    -Some "ohhs" when Han dies, and when Finn got injured.
    -Some noticeable groans when Rey first gets captured.
    -Some "ewws" during both "Kylo interrogation scenes."
    -The ending duel got a big response.
    -Etc.

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I went early Friday afternoon. Place was about 3/4 full, people seemed happy to be there, but quiet enough to respect others watching/listening. About half applauded for a few moments at the end.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I did not go opening night, but the audience for both viewings, at theaters about 3/4 full, were completely silent and engaged in what was happening on screen.

A much more polite audience than I sat with for Lincoln.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What were they doing for Lincoln?

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Cheering in response to the Senate hearings on the 13th Amendment and Stephens' common-law wife's reaction.

I agreed with the cheering but did not need the noise.

19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I was unashamedly the most active audience participant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Silent Android

Silent Android Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2016
    I saw it in 3d IMAX at the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood. It's arguably the most famous movie theatre in the entire world, and there's even a Star Wars costume exhibit in the lobby. So I expected a number of superfans in the crowd.
    The crowd laughed at all the humorous scenes ("Are you talking first?"/ The two Stormtroopers turning back after Kylo's saber tantrum) but I was the only one in the theatre who seemed to laugh at the Kessel Run joke and when Han says, "I got a bad feeling about this..." When Gonk first appeared, I leaped from my seat and yelled, "GONK!" And I only consider myself a moderate-level SW geek (Don't care one bit about the EU, don't watch the cartoons, don't even own any SW cosplay).

21. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    There were 5 other people in the theater (although two more came later and talked way in the back). It was very pleasant overall. :)

22. TjBeast

TjBeast Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2016
    Maybe a bit late, but this is my first post on the board so I thought I'd start here. 31yrs old now, been a starwars fan and vintage toy collector since I was about 5 years old.
    I saw this movie on opening night here in Tokyo, Japan in a 4DX 3D theater. The experience was incredible, The fans didn't make any noise during the film except at the end when everyone applauded. Honestly this is exactly how I prefer it. I wanted to enjoy the movie, take it all in and not miss a second of dialog or be distracted by anything. Don't get me wrong, people were absolutely into it. In the lobby there were people cosplaying, talking about the past films, taking pictures, drinking (drinking in public is totally fine here) etc, but when it came time to watch the movie people sat back, shut up and indulged in it.
    I hear a lot of the theaters in the states were sold out more than a month in advance. I bought my tickets the day before the show. Also when you buy a ticket here you also reserve your exact seat. so no need to line up a day before the film lol.

JediKnightYJK likes this.
  23. JediKnightYJK

JediKnightYJK Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 17, 2016
    They loved it and I loved it too. BB8 was awesome! :bb8head:

24. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    It appears Japanese are too embarrassed too laugh in the movie theaters. I was probably the loudest laugher and really had to restrain myself. However. I think I may have positively affected those around me as they quietly chuckled. After the movie ended I heard positive responses.

25. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Haha whoa where do you live?! Every showing in the whole city was sold out except like midnight maybe. But the 7, 8, and 9 showings were all sold out weeks ahead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.