main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What was your favourite toy / figure when you where a kid?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by daveeek, Jul 12, 2011.

1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    you bastard.

2. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

There was always that kid. You thought you had a good collection and then you went round to their house!

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's true. Although, if it makes you feel better, the SW toy collection was my family's way of overcompensating for my father's absence.

Fair trade. I'll take it!

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  4. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Oh no. I feel terrible now...

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Please don't. I owned every SW toy ever made. I made out in that trade.

6. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Thank you for solving a childhood mystery! I had that figure and I always wondered why the Creature was SW-scaled. It really was an awesome toy.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    me too but my family didn't care that much. ;)

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  8. Huttslime

Huttslime Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 1, 2015
    I grew up a generation after the Kenner figures when the POTF merch was being sold in toy stories, I am a nineties kid and I have to say the quality on those figures is lacking. Figures like Vader are overly muscular, they're usually poorly articulated, and the "Robes" are usually really stiff plastic. The newer generation figures while usually smaller are much better, and the Black/Vintage series just look way better than the stuff I grew up with.

9. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I had all the figures except Anakin & Yak Face. I didn't care so much about Yak Face, but I tried to find that Anakin,Man did I try.

I must've been like 4 when I got the Death Star playset for Christmas. I really enjoyed it without ever knowing anything about Star Wars at the time. That was probably my first SW toy. Sadly, it didn't remain in the best condition. I think I still have the compactor part & elevator somewhere.....

I remember having Greedo & Walrus Man as figures around that time.But I still didn't know anything about SW. I just used them for Batman to beat up whenever the Joker & Penguin were already in jail.

Then,I remember getting the Cantina set when I was about 6 as a reward for getting my tooth pulled. I was a huge fan by this point. The cardboard background didn't last long,but I was glad to get it. At that point ROTJ was coming out, and ANH toys were hard to come by. We used to go to stores far beyond the local "Child World" to find some older stuff to get me caught up.

TESB toys were also pretty much depleted from store shelves at that point. My greatest regret was never having got the Star Destroyer playset (although I've heard I'm not missing out on much) since so much of the movie takes place there. I also missed out on most of the Hoth playsets. I did manage to get my eager little hands on a Rebel Transport. (with the cool breathing masks!) and the Dagobah set.

I pretty much had it all from ROTJ with the exception of the late released Jabba's Skiff. I'm not sure it was ever mass produced. But I had to use a shoe box cover for the skiff and the box itself for the barge whenever I reenacted those scenes. Good times.

10. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    :_| :_|:_|

Huttslime - Yes, I remember the Masters of the Universe style figures from the 90's. Some of the actors must've had a good giggle at some of those!

11. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I remember my personal favorite SW toys were the Sears Cloud City play set with the Lobot action figure included and of course the Death Star play set. I remember when the toy store got a new shipment of action figures for TESB line. I was the first one there and I tore through the box like a maniac. The people weren't even fast enough to put them on the shelves before I got my hands on the box. That was the greatest feeling getting a new SW toy as a kid. Everything about it was awesome. The package the toy. Only SW stuff was able to elicit that feeling from me over all other things I liked at the time.

It just goes to show how much of a true magic SW truly possess.

12. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    [​IMG]

I bet no one ever had this version?

13. Obi-John Kenobi

Oct 30, 2012

:D It's nothing personal! I'd have loved to get Yak Face as much as anybody, but even then I was under the impression it was not mass produced. I had (I guess mistakenly) thought Anakin would show up on store shelves at some point,though. If he did,I could never find him.:(

thejeditraitor and MOC Yak Face like this.
  14. Obi-John Kenobi

Oct 30, 2012
    I always loved the original packing of the original action figures with the big photo of the character. I was always disappointed that they didn't start doing that again,until way late in the re-release run. At that point, I already had most of the figures. I think I bought Dack for old time sake.But my days of collecting were pretty much over.

I still have about 95% of the cards they were on. (I'm only missing a few early ones like Walrus Man ) Most are still in decent shape. (although I've always been kinda miffed that I tore a bit of Luke's face off, on the "Bespin Fatigues" one.:()

Maybe I'm the only one who did this,but I invented a game with these cards as a kid. Luke,Ben & Yoda cards gave you a "Jedi Flush", Han,Chewie & Lando gave you a "Smuggler's Straight" and so on. It was pretty cool.:cool:

whostheBossk and Andy Wylde like this.
  15. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    [​IMG][​IMG]

These are actually 7" records that come with the original figures inside them. Pretty cool item I think.

Obi-John Kenobi likes this.
  16. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Cool where were these found and what year?

Obi-John Kenobi. I know that Anakin was a mail in offer, but has a card back to him as well. Would be interested in finding out if he was released much in the US.

17. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
  18. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    [​IMG]

These are pants I made almost about 20 years ago, WOW! it's been that long? But they were my favorite bed sheets as a kid. They are TESB ones.

19. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
    The destroyer droid from Episode 1 toyline.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  20. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    The Naboo fighter.

21. BB-8

BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 1, 2015
    Gosh. It's a tossup between Bright Tree village (and all the Ewoks), and Shuttle tyderium.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I was often that kid who had the better collection. Compared to my best friend growing up, I still had my SW figures, though it was nowhere near Chorus's level. But my MOTU, Transformers, Real Ghostbusters and DC heroes collection was far greater than his. So I definitely know that feeling.

23. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    [​IMG]

This is a pair of shorts made of corduroy and my old ROTJ beds sheets I had since I was a kid.

24. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    THAT WAS YOU? Seems to me that in the 1980s, someone always claimed to know some kid that had all the toys, but I was always skeptical that it could be possible.

Truly hated that un-named SW tycoon, regardless. Sorry.

Mind you, I was lucky enough to have one of the greatest SW sets of the First Era, not available in the US:

[​IMG]

Still got it, in very rough condition (it's basically made of cardboard) - I'm planning to one day scan the chipboard panels and build a replica.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I'd probably be a tycoon, now, if I had actually managed to hold onto even half of that collection in some semblance of good shape. Instead, I'm more like the stereotypical down on his luck unemployed guy who missed the opportunity to be a millionaire based on one bad business decision that made him lose his brilliant business venture.

Once, I played atop a mountain of SW toys. Now, I feed pigeons from the park bench.