what was your first reaction when you first saw TPM?

Discussion in 'The Phantom Menace' started by Heavenly_Angel, Apr 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    It was: that was awesome!!! then bought another ticket and went to see it again.
  2. sellars1996 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I was totally blown away. I loved it. I had not been on SW sites on the Internet at all in the months preceding its opening, and did not have time to watch TV and get all caught up in the hype. I was 100% spoiler free.

My wife and I waited until the film had been out two months or so before we went to go see it. (We wanted to avoid the crowds, but also moved and weren't able to get to go see it for a while.) We went to a 10:00 showing on a Friday night, and the theatre was still almost half full. Once the music started, I felt just like I did as a 8 year old watching ANH on a drive in screen in 1978, and as a 10 year old watching TESB in 1980. It was SW magic all over again. "Duel of the Fates" absolutely sealed this movie for me, and I could not wait to see it again.

P.S. I did not see it again until almost a year later, when my wife gave me TPM for my birthday on VHS. It was still very good, but not like watching it on DVD or in the theatres.
  3. black_saber Force Ghost

star 4
    I loved especally the end of the movie too. And Duel of Fates.
  4. Jack-D-Ripper Jedi Knight

star 2
    I was happy with it the first time I saw it, but there were things nagging me, things I didn't like. I really enjoyed it more the second time, but it was still not that much what I was expecting. I went through a patch where I really didn;t like it much (I was, much like a sheep, following suit with my friends who all grumbled about the movie constantly) but later on, I began to see it for what it really was: a great, fun, beautiful adventure, and now I really like it a lot, although AOTC just blows it out the water.

-JDR.
  5. DarthMalifluous Jedi Master

star 2
    One of complete bewilderment. Perhaps it was my age (being a young one during the OT, I can perhaps conceed on some points that I may be slightly jaded now that I'm older and perhaps it's a miniscule speck of nostalgia creeping through). But, I went with my girlfriend at the time (now my loving wife ;)) and she had never seen the OT. Upon exiting the theater she turned to me and asked "That's it? That was one of the worst films I've ever seen!" Now perhaps this statement is a bit harsh, whilst I was still in a state of shock (and not the good kind). I resolved to show her the OT films as soon as possible. Over the next subsequent week she was introduced to that "galaxy far, far away". For ANH she could completely understand why it had succeeded, given the era that is came out and the charm that oozed from it. She watched ESB, and although society had already tipped her off about the whole "Luke, I am your father" moment, she felt it was a stunning sequel that easily bested ANH and expanded the SW universe into something more than just charming camp. She enjoyed ROTJ but like myself was disappointed with the ewoks... from cute and cuddly to the soul-wrenching father saves son. She loved the mythos and impact behind this final SW moment of redemption but felt that larger parts of the film either felt rushed or were played out a little too far.

We had the chance to watch TPM again a few months ago and her reaction was much the same, as was mine. Some good fleeting moments of the SW universe that so permiated the OT and complete drivel for the remainder of the 90% that was left over. Of course both she and I agree that the SFX were great (as in AOTC) and Liam Neeson makes one heck of a Jedi but it just felt "oh so wrong" for most of the film and is not really a film that ages well... i.e. the parts you hate you still hate, and the parts you like/love still stand-up... but the film definately does not "grow on me" over time.

Oh well, more's the pity I guess.
  6. Lagniappe Jedi Master

star 4
    Vague sense of uneasy disappointment. My friends and I stood in the parking lot for two hours talking and trying to figure out why it didn't work for us... we are STILL trying to figure that out.
  7. D_Lowe Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I was amazed. Especially the lightsaber duel. I couldn't wait to see it again. In fact I saw it 12 times in the theaters.
  8. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I wasn't as blown away as I thought I'd be. But I'd never been really blown away by a film anyway (Up until AotC).
    I did like it though, and went to see it again three more times. Now that it's aged a bit, and a few more scenes have gotten to be classics, I like it a lot more.
    The only film to completly blow me away was AotC in which I was awestruck and could only repeat 'That was awesome! [face_shocked] the whole ride home.
    When I tried to explain the awesome parts, 'That was awesome!' would soon blurt out against my will. :p
    Check that. I was also somewhat blown away by RotJ SE. The ending blew me away too. Just not as much as AotC.
  9. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    "WOW! That was awesome!"

and

"Glad I have tickets for Friday's show too."

:D
  10. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Though I will add, before AotC, TPM held the record for the most times I saw a movie in a theater :)
  11. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    One face code can best describe my feelings at that time... [face_shocked] x2= [face_shocked] [face_shocked] I was in awe...
  12. palpiscloneofdarth Jedi Knight

Somewhat let down but, GL made it better with AOTC which rocked and gives a new hope for Star Wars # 3 being the best ever.
  13. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I left the theater thinking that Episode II couldn't come soon enough and how long the wait to 2002 would be.
  14. BobaFrank Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I loved it. I saw it 10 times in the theater.

I loved the Pod Race. Fode and Beed were hilarious and the Tuskens taking potshots at the racers was pure SW humor.

DOTF is the greatest sword battle ever, and Qui-Gon's Funeral was my favorite scene of the whole movie. Very forboding. Great lighting, and the dialouge and music was perfect for the scene.

Obiwan being Knighted was beautiful.

The technical acheivements for TPM especially the creation of JarJar is still underestimated to this day. Just remember before there was Gollum there was JarJar.

I love it!
  15. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Agreed. The end especially stuck out to me, namely with Qui-Gon going before the Council over Anakin's training, the final battle, Qui-Gon's death, and his funeral. Beautifully done.
  16. Force_Prophet Jedi Knight

star 3
    As with all Star Wars movies I liked it.
  17. medleyoz Jedi Master

star 4
    I loved it.
    It really got me back into SW. I had seen the OT but this fresh new film made SW that much better.
  18. JediBeowulf Jedi Master

star 3
    I was totally blown away on opening midnight. At that point, I knew how it must have felt to be in the theatres in 1977 when ANH first came out. And I think a lot of little kiddies felt the same way, and still feel the same way today. ;)

I was in that little group of people that was about 3% spolied and 97% spoiler free (I knew only what I could surmise from the trailers), and I think that's why I, and others like me, enjoyed the film so much.

Since I wasn't 100% spoiled, I could soak everything in, without knowing what was coming next or why something was occurring (which lessens the impact of certain scenes and plots).

Also, seeing that I wasn't 100% spoiler-free, I didn't weave fantastical plots and ideas as to how the movie should be according to my own head, and therefore I didn't have any preconceived notions of what should have happend. Basically, I didn't make this movie out to be the 2nd coming of the messiah, and therefore I wasn't dissappointed when rapture didn't occur and instead I immensely enjoyed the film, and still do. This is why I fear for Ep.III....you thought people wove intricate and impossible plot lines for Ep.I? Wait for the incessent whinning and complaining that is going to come about after Ep. III.

My two reasons above are why I think so many people are dissappointed with TPM. Mostly to the over-hype and preconceived notions of how they personally would have liked to have seen it.

BTW...I still don't understand how people can like ANH and not TPM. I mean, let's be fair here! I suppose that some people are just holding on to the nostalgia of their lost youth and thus letting that blind them to objectivity...oh well...
  19. sith99 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I saw it 9 times so i'd say i liked it.

now, still like it. But flawed. 7/10
  20. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I had a friend who had never seen a STAR WARS movie in his life until he saw THE PHANTOM MENACE, and he's a huge STAR WARS fan today because of it. He prefers the prequels to the originals and his favorite of the originals is RETURN OF THE JEDI.
  21. DarthBabe Force Ghost

star 7
    I loved it! I came out of the theatre talking all excitedly about it. And it was popular discussion topic for the rest of the school year.

I saw it six times at the theatre.
  22. Lagniappe Jedi Master

star 4
    "My two reasons above are why I think so many people are dissappointed with TPM. Mostly to the over-hype and preconceived notions of how they personally would have liked to have seen it. "

GAHHHHHHHH! I am so TIRED of hearing this justification for people's disappointment with TPM! I went into TPM with NO preconcieved notions of what it should be EXCEPT that it should be as good (if not better) than the OT.

The visuals were stunning -

But...

I didn't end up caring a whit about the characters.

The plot was iffy.

Jar Jar annoyed the heck out of me by distracting me from what was going on.

Anakin was fine in some scenes and dismal in others.

Obi-wan was basically there to tag after Qui-gon, nod and say, "Yes, master," a lot. (Though he did it very well.)

Amidala had the animation level of a piece of wood.

The Jedi needed a serious dose of Exlax.

The film couldn't seem to decided if it was targeted at adults who understood the political intrigue or children who like cartoon battles.

Enter the midicholrians. Exit the mystique.

And so on....

I had GOOD reasons for my disappointment in TPM that had NOTHING to do with any preconcieved ideas on my part...

And I am not the only one.

23. Alrowen Jedi Knight

star 1
    "Picture this,
    A Star World 20 theatre and 100 seats ta least in one theatre (there are 20).
    The people in one theatre that Star Wars is in is completely focused on the movie.
    Then when Jar-Jar appeared the whole theatre errupts with laughter.We had a good time.
    I wasn't a big Star Wars fan then,now I am."
  24. Darth Kruel Jedi Master

star 4
    I simply loved it! I wanted to see it again! I couldn't wait until episode II!
  25. NORTHSTAR Jedi Knight

star 1
    I was in disbelief that a movie that I had waited for so long, could be that bad.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.