main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What was your first soundtrack?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Paradise in Naboo, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paradise in Naboo

Paradise in Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 1999
    Technically, my film music collection started on cassette tape, with the soundtrack to The Lion King. I was pretty young, so at first my attention was focused on the songs (my favorite at the time was "Be Prepared"). But as I listened to it more and more, cues like "To Die For" and "Under the Stars" began to surpass the songs in my mind. It's still one of my favorite scores and easily my favorite from Hans Zimmer.

After graduating to compact discs, my first true film score purchase was the special edition soundtrack for Return of the Jedi in 1999 (I had bought Hercules 2 years earlier, but only for the songs). After the amazing experience I had listening to this soundtrack, I started picking up any John Williams soundtrack I could. By the end of the year, I had a pretty sizeable collection and I listened to scores like The Phantom Menace and Jurassic Park over and over again. I've been hooked on film scores ever since.

2. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    boring: A New Hope Special Edition (back then they were so expensive that I had to wait a month between the albums)

3. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    I hate to admit it, but I believe the first soundtrack that I ever bought was Eric Serra's score to Goldeneye. I was obsessed with the game (like so many) and wanted the movie soundtrack.

Looking back, it's funny that I gave soundtracks another chance considering the monumental disaster that the score to Goldeneye was.

It wasn't until I bought the Star Wars Anthology Boxset a couple years later that I really got into film music, and I haven't looked back since!

4. Jedi-Washington

Jedi-Washington Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    It wasn't my first per say. My sister had the soundtrack to "Spirit" by Hans Zimmer. It was the first time I acctually found film music and got into it. Now I can't stand Hans Zimmer, but that was my first exposure to film music that I can remember.

Before that, all I can remember is being at Universal Studios or something, and there was a Jurassic Park Ride, and they had that fanfare playing in loop, and I just got obsessed with it. I forgot about it though and never owned the soundtrack. Just my first time noticing background film music, since I remembered it from the film.

~JW

5. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    Well, when I was little music is what made up a large part of my enjoyment of movies; stuff like Star Wars, Homeward Bound, and Raiders of the Lost Ark left a lasting impression on me.

But it wasn't until when my brother and I together bought The Fellowship Of The Ring, The Two Towers, and the Star Wars Anthology, back in the summer of '03 that I really got into film scores. I ended up listening to them over and over and over, while he would only occasionally listen to them. I ended up getting Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade (because it was the only of the Indy scores still in print, and I wanted to be able to hear the Raider's March so bad...) and The Return Of The King by myself that December.

After that, my next purchase was the SE Star Wars sets, then ROTLA (I had found Ebay!)...and from there it pretty much took off...

ttbk, On To Silverado, Silverado, Bruce Broughton

6. arthurclavin2

arthurclavin2 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 27, 2003
    Before the mp3...

Jurassic Park: The Lost World, back in the summer of '97.

AC2

7. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Let's see. I'm pretty sure it was the casette tape release of Superman: The Movie that I asked for for Christmas back in '91 or '92.

Pretty soon after it was Jurassic Park, Hook, and then Aliens which was my first score on CD.

Then I truly began collecting scores in earnest when I got the ESB SE and Waterworld for Christmas one year. Afterwards, I was hooked for good.

8. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Star Wars, 1977 vinyl double album.

9. agap_afima

agap_afima Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 2005
    I started late: my first one was the Episode III soundtrack.

10. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    :D General Kenobi wins the thread :p

11. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    This hackjob actually sounded good to me when I received it for Christmas five years ago. I guess it deserves some credit for getting me into the soundtrack world - and TPM is still one of my all-time favorite scores.

12. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    [image=http://www.fvaathletics.org/mo/Media/sw.vinyl.jpg]

13. outrider462004

outrider462004 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2004
    My first sound track was Back to the Future. On cassette. I still have it too.

14. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Jeez, Grandpa, blast from the past! :p

15. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    The ANH two CD set. I was 8 at the time and remember being so proud of myself for saving up the money to buy it. :p

16. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Aladdin is the oldest score I have. But that was for the songs and not the score. I honestly did not get into scores until I bought the soundtrack to the Phantom Menace when it came out. From there I bought the SE soundtracks to the OT. Then I got curious about what John Williams had also done. So I bought the 1969 to 1999 best of track. From there I started exploring other composers. The rest is history.

17. MystikalMaceWindu

MystikalMaceWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2005
    hmmm... let's see... might have been something from Disney, back in the early 80s, or so....
    or maybe one of those books on record?? does that count?
    Not sure about those, but in terms of ones I remember, two of the earliest I got, and they were on record, were Platoon and Back to the Future. Got the Untouchables soundtrack on record soon after.

18. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Vi-nyl? [face_thinking]

My first score was a mix tape (literally) of music from ANH, when I was 8. OMG PIRACY!!! :p

I can't remember the first actual score I bought. Probably TPM.

19. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    QFT.

Does that mean I tie the thread with GK?

20. QUI-DON-JINN

QUI-DON-JINN Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    First soundtrack listened to: Star Wars vinyl double album
    First soundtrack owned: Batman, Danny Elfman, cassette
    First soundtrack bought: Star Wars Anthology, CD

21. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    IIRC, the first soundtrack I got was Braveheart.

Strange story: the first Star Wars related CD I got was around when the SEs came out. I had asked for it, and someone (don't recall who anymore) got a CD for me. The Cd turned out to be a jazz version of famous Star Wars tracks/themes. I never listened to that CD, and returned that CD to the store and got the SE release of ANH. I wish I had kept that CD now, just to hear what they came up with. :)

22. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    First soundtrack owned: Star Trek: The Astral Symphony on cassete.

First soundtrack bought (and also first CD): Toy Story 2. (I think...)

23. PudgyGuy1981

PudgyGuy1981 Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2006
    For me....I was back in 6th grade and my first score I ever bought was Star Trek III The Search For Spock on CD.

24. Boba_Phat

Boba_Phat Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2000
    I got The Empire Strikes Back on cassette about 9-10 years ago.

25. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    My first one was the ANH special edition, if I recall correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.