main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One What was your reaction the first time seeing the Vader hallway scene?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Blue 5, May 9, 2017.

1. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    That very first time seeing it, what was going through your mind? What reaction did you and others around you have?

2. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    [​IMG]

Actually something like "Holy **** I that was ******g incredible and I can't believe I just saw that" is probably more accurate

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
  5. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I honestly didn't understand the over the top floored "OMG DID YOU SEE THAT!?" reaction that most people seemed to have had. It was a great scene no doubt. And it's not like I expected it. I enjoyed it thoroughly for all the same reasons as everyone else. And I still do every time I see it. But to me it was just a very stereotypical Star Wars style badass Force/lightsaber lashing. It wasn't until I got home and came online shortly after I saw it for the first time that I saw just this flood of articles and social media/web forum posts about how totally utterly batzit crazy insane it was. I don't know, it just never struck me as that. In fact I had to even go back on subsequent viewings to try and look for something I might have missed. It was cool and all, and I definitely appreciate that it's the first time we ever got to see Vader in his prime do anything like that, but I just didn't understand why people were so floored by it. [face_dunno]

Now that I think about it, it might be that I was still just so enamored and emotionally invested in the story of the Rogue One crew that I was just too focused on that to really separate myself from it by the time Vader appeared. Because even now when I watch it I still focus on that, and then it's like okay, now... heeere's Vader!

Personally, I think he looks far more menacing afterwards when he is standing over that ledge as he watches the Tantive IV escape his grasp and knowing he's now well invested in the fight.

Awushi Awere, Master_Lok and Blue 5 like this.
  6. Shannon Darklighter

Shannon Darklighter Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 11, 1999
    Shock because I had not spoiled myself at all. Then I was just in love with the fact that JEJ was doing to voice again, even if he does sound older. It was very exciting to see it with no expectations or knowledge outside of one trailer.

Blue 5 likes this.
  7. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
  8. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    ^ Yea, okay cat

:rolleyes:

Blue 5 likes this.
  9. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Yeah pretty epic alright, also liked how this movie had a little alteration to the music.

Blue 5 likes this.
  10. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017
    Someone leaked the Rogue One Vader ending on Vimeo and I went ahead and watched it the night before seeing the movie, I just couldn't help it. When I bought tickets for the December 16th showing I didn't know that there was going to be a few showings in the evening on December 15th, I should've went then. I've just always been someone that has to peak inside the wrapping paper at Christmas to see what he got. Anyway my reaction was and still is ^:)^

Blue 5 likes this.
  11. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Coolest thing ever. Finally Vader showing why is is such badass and what a fully trained Force user can do with regular people.

12. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
  13. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I was horrified. The last time I saw Darth Vader in theaters, he was this tragic, sad character. But here, he's wholly and completely embraced his role as a Sith Lord, and it's terrifying!

14. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    As soon as Vader said "Prepare a boarding party" I knew something amazing was coming. And then he was the Darth Vader I feared as a child, the Imperial agent that mercilessly hunted down the Rebellion and the man/machine that betrayed and murdered Anakin Skywalker

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I almost immediately began thinking about how this scene reinvents a scene I have watched over 500 times in 40 years: The utter dread on the faces of the rebel troops at the beginning of ANH now means something else, entirely, to me. "Oh crud. It's gonna be that guy, again, isn't it..."

16. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I was shocked and overjoyed! Is that a good thing??[face_worried]

Honestly one of my best moments of my life..

17. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    It was the Darth Vader scene I had waited to see since the PT was announced! Brutal. :cool:

18. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
  19. CrackedKyberCrystal

CrackedKyberCrystal Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 9, 2016
    I remember suddenly sitting straight up in my seat and leaning forward with my eyes wide open in anticipation. Then when I heard Vader's breathing I was like "Yes indeed, baby!" The hallway slaughter that followed - loved every damn second of it.

Lady_Misty, wobbits and Blue 5 like this.
  20. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Yes, and I think that's the brilliance of it.

My reaction was: Wow, they're really going there.

21. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    My reaction: in aw... and people thought disney would ruin star wars... *guts man while he's being held to the ceiling*

avcpl, wobbits, Blue 5 and 1 other person like this.
  22. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I was speechless, and in a good way.

Blue 5 likes this.
  23. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    I was quite anxious when I saw the Sith Lord's saber light up as I feared they might overdo the action. I didn't want to see him do backflips or strangle a dozen men simultaneously. There have to be limits to what Force Users can do. I recall an early discussion I had here with one of the movie's critics who was actually disappointed with the way they portrayed him. He wondered why Vader didn't just use a Force Blast (or something similar) to disable the Rebels all at once. Or why he didn't just use his telekinetic power to seize the tape from the Rebel carrying it (the same way he grabbed Solo's blaster in Empire Strikes Back). But if he is in fact that all-powerful, it opens up a can of worms: why didn't he just walk into Echo Base on Hoth and polish off all the Rebels on his own, or hold the fleeing Millenium Falcon in place. Wouldn't using a Force Blast also tear a hole in the ship and send him into the vacuum of space? I prefer a Vader who is formidable and dangerous, but not godlike as some fans seem to believe.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "Holy pudu!!!"

Blue 5 likes this.
  25. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017

There was a guy on the blu-ray.com forum and I also spotted him on the originaltrilogy.com forum asking why didn't Vader just nab the Death Star plans right out of that one guy's hands. I don't guess that that twerp ever heard of Star Wars (1977) before. A lot of people are very strange indeed and just want to stir up crap. I try to ignore those dweebs.

Lady_Misty, Dr_Cthulhu and Snafu55 like this.